Yamaha R3 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just looked it up the Imperial gallon is equal to 1.201 US gallons.

Thanks a lot for the info, Coaster. That makes quite a difference and I wasn't aware that the difference between US and Imperial gallons is so significant. I deal a lot with USG but never had to work with Imperial gallons...:nerd:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tank Capacity And Range On Reserve

I carried a bottle of fuel to intentionally run the tank empty to find the capacity and the range on reserve. In order to get consistent fill ups I always sit on the bike to level it and then only fill until the fuel just splashes over the fill plate. It took 3.742 gallons US after adding the .165 I poured in from the bottle. The range on reserve counter on the instrument cluster is a nice feature which showed 59.9 miles to the first time it sputtered on accel During a really horrible ride home in headwinds and eventually heavy rain). Total for the tank was 281.8 miles/ 3.742 gallons US = 75.30 mpgUS, 90.43 mpg Imp, 32.01 km/ L, 3.123 L/ 100 km.
I usually ride my Honda CBR250R for my 80 mile round trip commute but decided to start using the R3 more to see what I can get out of it since it has mostly just sat around last year. The last tank on the Honda was 102.1 mpg US in similarly cold/ wet weather.
So I took off the Bridgestone S20's I had installed since they wear really quickly and lost 10% of the fuel economy, and reinstalled a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Street. which are the longest lasting and most efficient commuter tires I have ever used. The Michelin rear on my CBR250R lasted 18,000 miles and the front is still good at 35,000 miles. The IRC's, which are also excellent, went 15,000 each for two rears and 31,000 for the original front on the Honda.
So the R3 got new tires and +1, -2 longer gearing. Which should have been over 12.4% longer but my speedo healer is set to +9.8% to get the odometer correct so it must have had about 2.6% optimistic read out from the factory.
I am using my plank style luggage system so still want to build an aero trunk and come up with a taller wind screen.
My commute is 80% highway at 65 mph and I should be able to average over 85 mpg US if we ever get some hot, dry weather. Which is really good for such a fun engine. This will easily beat the Ninja's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I carried a bottle of fuel to intentionally run the tank empty to find the capacity and the range on reserve. In order to get consistent fill ups I always sit on the bike to level it and then only fill until the fuel just splashes over the fill plate. It took 3.742 gallons US after adding the .165 I poured in from the bottle. The range on reserve counter on the instrument cluster is a nice feature which showed 59.9 miles to the first time it sputtered on accel During a really horrible ride home in headwinds and eventually heavy rain). Total for the tank was 281.8 miles/ 3.742 gallons US = 75.30 mpgUS, 90.43 mpg Imp, 32.01 km/ L, 3.123 L/ 100 km.
I usually ride my Honda CBR250R for my 80 mile round trip commute but decided to start using the R3 more to see what I can get out of it since it has mostly just sat around last year. The last tank on the Honda was 102.1 mpg US in similarly cold/ wet weather.
So I took off the Bridgestone S20's I had installed since they wear really quickly and lost 10% of the fuel economy, and reinstalled a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Street. which are the longest lasting and most efficient commuter tires I have ever used. The Michelin rear on my CBR250R lasted 18,000 miles and the front is still good at 35,000 miles. The IRC's, which are also excellent, went 15,000 each for two rears and 31,000 for the original front on the Honda.
So the R3 got new tires and +1, -2 longer gearing. Which should have been over 12.4% longer but my speedo healer is set to +9.8% to get the odometer correct so it must have had about 2.6% optimistic read out from the factory.
I am using my plank style luggage system so still want to build an aero trunk and come up with a taller wind screen.
My commute is 80% highway at 65 mph and I should be able to average over 85 mpg US if we ever get some hot, dry weather. Which is really good for such a fun engine. This will easily beat the Ninja's.
great post/info

·
Registered
460 Posts
Second tank through with the Michelin Pilot Street tires back on (took off the Bridgestones) and +1, -2 12% longer gearing. Still chilly here at 50F so I should do a little better in hot weather. 240.6 miles / 3.070 gallons US = 78.4 mpg US for my 65 mph highway commute. The trip average readout said 73.9 which I will always beat since i use PulseNGlide and when i am gliding with the clutch in, the computer is giving me credit for 99.9 mpg but I am actually getting much higher. The last tank on my Honda CBR250R in similar weather conditions was 105 mpg US.

·
Registered
460 Posts
243.6 miles at 2.883 gallons US = 84.5 mpgUS. The trip computer said 80.0 mpg average and I was 1.5 miles into reserve. Finally getting a few warmer days for my commute. 60F mornings and 75F for the way home. Makes a difference in fuel consumption. Along with the +1, -2 gearing with speedo healer and going back to the Michelin Pilot Street tires. Needs a bigger windshield for rain protection next since I am 80% highway at 65 mph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm getting about 30 US mpg (13km/L or 7L/100km). No idea what's wrong.

My instrument cluster shows an average of 5.1L/100km, which would be pretty cool, but I've never seen anything past the 150km (93 miles) from Full to Reserve..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I guess that you don't fill the tank to the brim but just to point when the nozzle stops? I usually ride 330 - 380 km before the F starts flashing and I still have about 90km avaialble while on reserve... - at least based on my average mileage... ( I ride very relaxed and shift between 6K and 7K revs mostly).

I created a reference template as follows based on 25 refuelings (in kilometers):

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
244.9 miles / 3.264 gallonsUS = 75.03 mpgUS, 31.9 km/ L, 3.14 L/ 100km.
On my new 2019 Kawasaki Ninja650 with the tall seat and windscreen. Excellent commuter/ sport touring bike for anyone that is too big for the R3.

2019 Kawasaki Ninja650. Completely redesigned in 2017. 43 pounds lighter. More fuel efficient. Perfect accessory tall windscreen (that is the stock screen) for riding in the rain. 73 mpgUS from the detuned torquey twin. Perfect headlight beam with the powerful DDM Tuning Saber 50W LED's.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/ex650_ninja_650/2018/sendler/940770

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Are you guys keeping the rpm low at all times to get the 75+ mpg?

I'm only getting ~50 mpg.
I'm wondering what's going here, too. At 7100 miles, I've averaged a respectable 62mpg. I don't ride, start off, or shift aggressively. So, I'd like to know the same thing. What has to be done to gain +10mpg? Just this side of moving to a flat, uncongested, part of the world, and idle around town at 30mph?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2015 averages around 60 mpg US. I've seen as high as 65 mpg and as low as 55 mpg, but have yet to break the 70 mpg barrier. But at 60 mpg average, I'm not gonna worry too much about it. 87 octane isn't too expensive here at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
My 2015 averages around 60 mpg US. I've seen as high as 65 mpg and as low as 55 mpg, but have yet to break the 70 mpg barrier. But at 60 mpg average, I'm not gonna worry too much about it. 87 octane isn't too expensive here at the moment.
Can't argue with you, there. And, It's pretty hard to have performance and fuel mileage. I'm really satisfied with both on my R3.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What has to be done to gain +10mpg? Just this side of moving to a flat, uncongested, part of the world, and idle around town at 30mph?
:thumb An uncongested part of the world might help, it does neither need to be very flat nor do you have to idle around town... Bavaria is surely not known for being a flat desert and I definitely don't idle around town. I actually avoid towns as much as I can and rarely hit more than 5 traffic lights during a 60 miles trip. I cruise along between 60 and 70 mph and hardly ever exceed 7000 RPMs, except when overtaking cars on the road and just for fun every now and then in third gear... :D
The big difference between my riding style and the way my comrades ride is that I ride much smoother and don't need to brake half as much as they do, I always try to keep up as much momentum as possible and let the engine do a lot of the decelleration.
We once did a 400 mile trip through the alps with 11 BMW R1200 RTs and although I ended up in the top three speedwise, I burned up 15% less gas than the next best rider and 35% less than someone who was a newbie and still quite insecure of his bike. The latter guy had to accelerate hard all the time to keep up with the group because his cornering speed was so much lower and his braking points way too early and so he was actually the last rider to arrive and burned more fuel than anybody else.

Reactions: airhead83
261 - 280 of 306 Posts