Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel the wisdom waiting to hit me in the head. But some of you must have had good experiences too
I was thinking of getting SOME of my first mods over there
-Grips -levers -stickers
-tail tidy -windscreen - Led lighting

Coming from a student who just wants to get by but not completely break into pieces on the highway, am I just oblivious to the fact or is there an argument to be made for lower priced goods?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Pretty much anything aesthetic, levers, sometimes leds. Tank pads. Spools They always cheap. In some occasions even the rear stand, but you can get one from harbor freight for 15. My company sells the attachment for the Harbor freight stands so you can put in on spools rather than to the subframe. As far as anything performance like brake pads, disks, clipons, I don't trust Chinese parts go for the quality stuff.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. For my Versys, the windscreen, levers, turn signals, headlight shroud, and electrical items such as switches were poor quality. Brake discs were good.

For my Yamaha MT-03 (R3) the record is:

The tail tidy for my Yamaha is good.
S/S radiator guard good, (but I had to trim off some of the OEM plastic guard to fit properly.)
Tubular engine guard, good (once you figure out how to modify the mounting points on the front of the engine for a proper fit)
Spools for the rear axle stand, good.
Yamaha rear fender, junk, did not fit properly and it broke the first day.
Levers on the way and also an aluminum clutch cable adjuster since the stock plastic adjuster just split at the threads yesterday.

These are the levers I have on order:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252648850882?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Do not expect installation instructions on many products, you are sort of on your own, but most product installs are fairly simple to figure out.

The saying here is "Buy Chinese Cheap, Buy twice" and sometimes that is true. Sort of a crap shoot. Good luck,

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I've only ordered two items that were cheapo Chinese items.

Radiator Guard
Worked out great. Came without hardware but I have mine clipped in and held in place with two tiny zip ties up top. It just sits there and does what it does... no complaints.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Stain...ash=item3ac6afaf5f:g:xcoAAOSwEjFXchp~&vxp=mtr

Side Stand Pad
Complete POS. The material is super soft and the screws easily strip, so be careful. Once installed, fit is not perfect and the pad wiggles a little bit. It works for what I needed it to do. It improves the angle of the bike when on it's side stand and seems a little more stable, especially in dirt/gravel. It's a POS though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Yamaha-...nsion-Plate-/192104320001?hash=item2cba4f4c01

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I wouldn't use on certain things, like calipers, master cylinder, rotors, pads, etc. Probably not on clip ons either. I have owned Chinese clip ins on another bike but won't do it again. Nothing bad happened, I just choose to no longer buy Chinese clip ons. I've used Chinese levers on 5 other bikes with no probs at all. I probably would do fork axle sliders, spools if the name brand stuff wasn't already cheap, maybe rearsets, brake lever guards. I'm not opposed to Chinese parts, but I am opposed to poor quality stuff. Sometimes no one has tried said part and we get to be the first to review.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My thoughts are always the same. If your life depends on it, do not buy chinese parts. If it is just decoration or anything that won't kill you when it fails, go for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agreed. Chinese is for looks not for performance, but if you need something fabricated hmu. I own a fabrication shop, some little pieces are just impossible to find even Chinese.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel the wisdom waiting to hit me in the head. But some of you must have had good experiences too
-Grips -levers -stickers

Coming from a student who just wants to get by but not completely break into pieces on the highway, am I just oblivious to the fact or is there an argument to be made for lower priced goods?
For great levers at a competitive price check out Jesse over at Yamahar3racing.com. He's a big supporter of the R3 community and I've been enjoying his levers for months. While you are there you could also get the R6 grips with the R6 throttle upgrade for so little money it's almost free!!!!

For a windscreen it's really hard to beat the double bubble from Zero Gravity.

Check out TST industries for the tail tidy and LED's.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
LoL. Check your stock wheels. Let me know what you find. :laugh:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Most Chinese parts just don't fit as well as OEM or reputable suppliers. All of the items listed in the original post should be fine.
The fact that some people say "I wouldn't use Chinese levers/rearsets/clipons" means zero to me unless they actually have experience with the product they are talking about

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had one Ebay purchase from a US vendor that went really bad some years ago. I had ordered a used exhaust. The photos on Ebay looked great with only a couple of small scratches on the can. He sent a different exhaust that was a piece of crap. When it arrived, it was completely banged up and bent, and it arrived two weeks late. During the process of cleaning up this mess, I discovered that you can view the vendors account history with Ebay. This vendor had changed his company/Ebay account several times over the course of a one year. He kept closing accounts and opening new ones whenever he accumulated too many negative feedbacks. Every account he had was full of negative feedback except for his last account.

I am sure this applies to vendors thru out the world. Sometimes it pays to do some homework before you throw money at someone you have never met. If someone has been a member less than 1 year or so, that may be a sign to dig deeper into his history. Buena suerte.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I work with all sorts of metals all day. The Chinese levers are made from the same material and cut exactly like the same as $90 brand name ones. The brand name ones are actually made from imported aluminum from China. The ones in ebay are cnc alumninum. You'll be fine. Levers are one of the easiest things to make. Clipons I would worry because they tend to mill em incorrectly, it's hit or miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like you all agree pretty much with each other. It's up to chance with what you will get. I have always been one for supporting local companies but the prices always seem to make we want to cry in a corner. I'll do my research if I ever have to buy stuff overseas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is my experience:

Grips(& Bar-ends): By far the best grip i got was the replica rizoma sportline grips. Super comfortable and neat.
Levers: Had those china adjustable levers. Really liked them alot, never gave me problem
Engine Sliders: I brought a pair, sadly only the left side ones work because the right side one causes my coolant to leak (Even with rubber washer)
Fairings: My bike have full china fairings on. Fitment isn't perfect here and there but i can't complain, still looks neat.

Other than aesthetic mods, I wouldn't dare to get china parts that affects the performance of my R3(i.e brakes, filters etc). Genuine/reputable parts gives me a better piece of mind

·
Registered
237 Posts
-Grips -levers -stickers

I buy nearly all of my aesthetic parts on eBay - most of which come from overseas.

As far as grips go, I wouldn't recommend anything outside Renthal soft grips for roadracing. For riding on the street, they make a couple harder options that should last quite a bit longer. With that said, I've bought cheap gel grips from China in the past and have been pleased.

I get cheap levers all the time. Have never had an issue with them falling apart or having fitment issues. Most I buy are <$30 shipped for a pair. The only true "complaint" I would have is that the annodized color options will probably fade after a season or two - especially if you ride in the wet or the bike sits outside.

Stickers/decals I haven't ever had a problem with getting cheap ones. With that said, there's a lot of decal makers here in the States that will be competitive with pricing. Again, eBay is great for those.

I have also had a lot of good luck with tail tidy kits. Even the cheaper integrated taillight options from overseas have worked very well for me. I would highly recommend going this route, and I know you can save a lot of $$$ in the process compared to a Workes or other tail tidy/taillight kit.

Windscreens have been hit or miss for me. I always buy the ones that are very cheap (we're talking <$30 shipped). Most of the time I haven't had any fitment issues, but there have been one or two windscreens that needed some trimming to fit correctly. These were select instances, but it does happen. In my mind, a little extra work or elbow grease to get a $20 windscreen to fit is still better than buying one for $60+. I always have a good-looking product at the end of the day.

LEDs are pretty safe typically. Make sure you do your research and only buy the ones that are meant for your application. You may have to do some sifting and can't always buy the "cheapest" option on eBay, but you can usually save a lot of money after you find a set that you're confident will fit. This goes for running lights, taillights, turn signals, etc.

I hope this feedback could help! Of course, you're always going to get mixed reviews on things, but I at least wanted to relay my thoughts on the many eBay products I've used before. When in doubt, don't take a chance unless you think the $$$ saved is worth the risk - but with some research, you should be able to make a pretty confident purchase, even if it is on eBay.

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a few Chinese parts on my R3, like most said cosmetic stuff is usually fine. I do have cheap Chinese bar end mirrors, they're essentially CRG arrow knockoffs (they cost 35 for a set compared to 100 a pop for the CRG brand name), and they have worked out fine for me. I did have to put some gorilla glue in the ball & socket joint because they where so loose stock that they would move themselves at any winds higher than 50 mph. But once I adjusted them right and put a dab of gorilla glue in the socket they have been rock solid. The glass in the mirror itself seems to be decent stuff, I can see stuff behind me just fine and the finish on the backside and brackets look much higher quality than the price would suggest. Other than that it's just tank grips and a rear seat cowl that is Chinese and those have been just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my experience:

Grips(& Bar-ends): By far the best grip i got was the replica rizoma sportline grips. Super comfortable and neat.
Levers: Had those china adjustable levers. Really liked them alot, never gave me problem
Engine Sliders: I brought a pair, sadly only the left side ones work because the right side one causes my coolant to leak (Even with rubber washer)
Fairings: My bike have full china fairings on. Fitment isn't perfect here and there but i can't complain, still looks neat.

Other than aesthetic mods, I wouldn't dare to get china parts that affects the performance of my R3(i.e brakes, filters etc). Genuine/reputable parts gives me a better piece of mind
I purchased a set of Chinese engine sliders from ebay and had the same problem with the right side leaking coolant. Determined I had to reuse the little copper washer on the OEM bolt that is removed from the water pump to install the engine slider. Once the copper washer was in place, no more coolant leak :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got chinese folding adjustable levers and preload adjusters off amazon and i'm totally pleased with them. Just ordered a sidestand foot also, the only downside is how long it takes to get here.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It can be iffy, but a lot of the medium/big name stuff is also made in China anyway. If you're buying a knock-off of something, it might even come off the same production line. Sometimes they swap a cheaper material, or set the CNC to a looser tolerance (less run time = more parts= less cost), use a lower quality paint/finish, or even stuff just just didn't quite make it out of QC for one reason or another.

The last one is why I prefer a known brand for important parts. If it's going to be made there anyway, pick the ones where the brand has paid extra to hold onto their image.

I have a set of no-name levers right now and they're ok. The fit is a bit sloppy but they work fine. I'm sure I'll get up-brand ones at some point just for piece of mind or to support particular business though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can not speak for r3 parts but based on my experience with other bikes.

Levers: I've used chinese levers on many bikes and never had any issues.

Windscreen: I recently purchased a chinese light smoke windscreen. Fitment was fine but windscreen is not perfectly clear.

Gas Cap: Did not fit well. I wound up loosing the cap and bought 1/4 turn moto-d.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts