Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want a beat up rear seat so I can rip it apart an try to make my own creation. I have this idea. I don't want that crap black chunk. I want it all one color. I want specific things... my father was a master in body work and did fiber glass... he's to shake to do it now but he's taught me some and I'm sure he could teach me more.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
hand laying carbon fiber instead of fiber glass would be awesome. if i were to do that, i would have to buy the cowl and use it as a buck and do a mass production.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A handmade one will not have the same fit and finish as one made by yamaha... and it will probably cost just as much if not more.
If your dad is a master in fiber glass he might be able to make one that is at least presentable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really like Yamaha's. My boyfriend is a mechanical engineer. We were to us most of the base seat plate or maybe just some. To be drawn out in creo an engineered perhaps if we could get access to the 3D printer we could do it that way.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Depends on the resolution of the printer, it may not look as smooth when done. Would be a great way to make a form or a buck for another process though, and if they turn out well you could even sell a few.
If you approach as a fun project to add a unique piece to your bike, you should be fine. It may well not save money though, once you account for time. So keep it fun and get to craftin!

Reactions: RebelRayna

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the resolution of the printer, it may not look as smooth when done. Would be a great way to make a form or a buck for another process though, and if they turn out well you could even sell a few.
If you approach as a fun project to add a unique piece to your bike, you should be fine. It may well not save money though, once you account for time. So keep it fun and get to craftin!
I'm not expecting it too. It's all for good fun. There's a bunch of things were doing to the rear seat since I keep my phone an wallet back there I think he just like engineering things since his job isn't so much as that as it is inspecting wire which goes to be turned in to almost anything, mostly bolts chances are bolts in our bike came from the wire they processed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're right.. it will probably fit better. The factory stuff isn't an amazing fit by most accounts. Fiberglass ain't rocketry... How it fits is totally in the hands of the person laying it.

A handmade one will not have the same fit and finish as one made by yamaha... and it will probably cost just as much if not more.
If your dad is a master in fiber glass he might be able to make one that is at least presentable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right.. it will probably fit better. The factory stuff isn't an amazing fit by most accounts. Fiberglass ain't rocketry... How it fits is totally in the hands of the person laying it.
That's what I've heard! I can't justify buying something I'm not in love with that people have had issues with

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought the Yamaha one, red. fits good, good color in my gallery pics. Toolbag hooks not the same as the bottom of the seat for the black elastic band. I figured it out. I forgot to take pics of that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had the eBay one and a OEM one. Fitment is the same, OEM has slightly better finish.

If you plastidip or paint the eBay one and add some duct tape to the bottom of it, it's perfect.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had the eBay one and a OEM one. Fitment is the same, OEM has slightly better finish.

If you plastidip or paint the eBay one and add some duct tape to the bottom of it, it's perfect.
Oooh thank you I actually have the paint! ;) I'll just order white and paint it.

·
Registered
389 Posts

What would the duct tape be for ??

·
Registered
47 Posts
My black ebay Chinese cowl arrived. It looks fine to me but fits loosely. It will move around almost half an inch. But I went for a ride and hit lots of bumps and it did not come off. The mounting hardware is very different but I think the looseness is a missing locating dowel. Looks like there is a hole to mount the dowel but no dowel. I am going to see what I can do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Actually that hole is there on the OEM too. What you do with the eBay one is put a few layers of duct tape on the rubber to get a tighter and snug fit.

Double sided tape on the rubber works too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually that hole is there on the OEM too. What you do with the eBay one is put a few layers of duct tape on the rubber to get a tighter and snug fit.

Double sided tape on the rubber works too.
Do you mean on the four round rubber bumpers?

·
Registered
135 Posts
It seems the OEM cowl scratches the rear seat plate cover when removing or installing. I tried lifting the rear of the cowl to get the lock tab to clear, but that tilt brings the 2 sharp corners down onto the black seat fairing piece as seen in the photos here. I don't know how this happened. I've had this cowl since week 1. I am going to use some washers to shim between the cowl and the hook assembly. Not too worried about it, I just thought I'd review the fitment for anyone looking to buy one. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts