Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I wanted to remove my passenger seat pegs. But I could only find R and G blanking plates at Revzilla for 50 bucks a pop. Then they couldn't even tell me if it worked for both sides. Got on line and couldn't find much info other then people just removing them and leaving the holes.

Here's what I did and be my guess to follow. I went to my local hardware store. I bought 1" wide aluminum stock, they come in 4 foot lengths. I matched the thread to the oem bolts but got shorter ones. I also bought 1/4" washers, all stainless steel. A grinding bit for my drill, some 100 grit sand paper and 800 grit sand paper. I already had a metal cutting blade for my jig saw, so I didn't need that.

Cut the aluminum stock to 4 and 1/4" . Use a quarter for the half round edge. Do your best to cut the half round edge, don't worry about the rough edges, that's what the grinding bit is for. Also don't worry to much about bending the aluminum, it's easy to bend back with a hammer and a flat board. The hole spacing will take some skill, they are 3 and 1/8" apart. But you will need to center them of course. Once you get your holes aligned, I recommend striking them with a nail. This will give your drill bit a solid starting point, if not the drill will drift and you only get one shot at this. I highly recommend a drill press if you have one, use a 5/16" metal drill bit. Once drilled got to town on that thing with the 100 grit to get out most of the imperfections, then go 800 grit , then you can get crazy like I did and take a dremil to it, lol.

The two pieces took me about 3 hours to do. The total price was around 20 and that's including the items I need like the grinder bit. And with 4ft of stock, there was plenty of room for error.

Good luck and happy moding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Funny. I just got done doing the SAME THING. I literally finished 30 minutes ago.
:laugh:
I did more than just a blanking plate. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I decided to get rid of the rear footpegs, and go with a solo seat cowl.
I was looking at some aftermarket exhaust brackets, but they were all more money than I wanted to pay for one.
SO... I just fabricated my own. ( Matching blanking-plate on the left side. )
:nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job on the bracket CBRpilot and I like the seat cowl, I'll be looking for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts