Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one for my Yamaha FZ6R worked fine, but the one included with the R3 is the biggest piece of sh!t tool that I've encountered in a while, not even HF quality. It doesn't mate up with the curve, the hook on slips out, and it's just damaging the adjustment area at the bottom of the shock. Was there a bad batch? Do others' work okay?

·
Registered
856 Posts
The one for my Yamaha FZ6R worked fine, but the one included with the R3 is the biggest piece of sh!t tool that I've encountered in a while, not even HF quality. It doesn't mate up with the curve, the hook on slips out, and it's just damaging the adjustment area at the bottom of the shock. Was there a bad batch? Do others' work okay?
Remove the chain guard,
as per it says in the owners manual.
adjust from the LHS of bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had no problems with using the tool and I was using the right-hand side of the bike to adjust the pre-load.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Remove the chain guard,
+1.
If necessary, you can clean up the hook a little with a needle file.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My adjustment tool also sucks. It only works at a perfect angle sweet spot otherwise it slips. PITA to make adjustments with.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Stiffer if it wasn't adjusted first ride when bike was new,
WD40 is the first tool you get out when working.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remove the chain guard,
Mine shows adjustment from the rear brake reservoir side!
I will try to modify it with a rotary tool today. It's not going to make a difference which side it's on. It doesn't fit.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mine shows adjustment from the rear brake reservoir side!
I will try to modify it with a rotary tool today. It's not going to make a difference which side it's on. It doesn't fit.

Page 4-20 of the Aussie manual is different then.

trust me its just 2 screws and collets on the chainguard = no scratches or bare knuckles . Its the first thing I did to the bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm telling you, it wouldn't have worked from the other side either. Mine was malformed or something. 10 minutes with a dremel, I had it fitting like a champ. Made the hook area deeper / can't slip off. Rounded the mating surface (mine was flat, should have taken a photo, too late now). Only takes 10 seconds to adjust now!

Wear gloves in case it slips, just in case ...

·
Registered
350 Posts
We just adjusted mine yeah it sucked my tool sucks. Plus he couldn't figure out big he was going up or down...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
What's a good setting for the preload? I'm at 185 with everything on.
Start with 5 and experiment one way up and down. It also depends on the riding you're doing. Commuting you want softer, track you want harder but without going to extremes.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel like my suspension randomly bottoms out just casually cruising around. Do I need more or less preload?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I feel like my suspension randomly bottoms out just casually cruising around. Do I need more or less preload?
More. So if you're on the standard 3, try 4 and go up as required. Ideally you should measure sag and there are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do that. If you can't be bothered, maybe try to find someone with close to your weight and see what they're happy with...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts