Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it takes some hard cornering to put contact wear on a Pirelli Rosso II rear tire. This is a pic of mine with just 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
They should be no different to any other tyre in the correct size.
I disagree. The stock tires and S20 EVO in my opinion imo had such a different profile from each other. As somewhat of s reference, I can drag knee on either tire. Not sure exactly how much lean angle that would come down to, but on the stock tires, the rear definitely had much more unused tire while the front stock tire was down to within 2-3 mm. That's pretty odd for me considering I usually never get my front tire near the edge.

On the S20s, doing the same basic speed and cornering lean angles ( I practice at a motorcycle course on base where I work), I get my rear to the edge, or within 2 mm doing the same basic turns. The front however ends up with tons of unused tires, when using the S20s. Even on the track, the new S20s front still had plenty of unused tire up front, with the rear all the way to the edge.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Profiles definitely vary from tire to tire, even in the same sizes. Certain tires are rounder, some flatter, it all depends on the intention.

For instance, I had a shinko up front on my last bike that were scrubbed edge to edge but couldn't even get close to the ends on my far stickier metzlers. I also scrubbed a 190 rear before I scrubbed the 180. Don't rely on just the numbers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess it takes some hard cornering to put contact wear on a Pirelli Rosso II rear tire. This is a pic of mine with just 100 miles on it.

Where are the details to the story?!? A picture is worth a thousand words!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I disagree. The stock tires and S20 EVO in my opinion imo had such a different profile from each other. As somewhat of s reference, I can drag knee on either tire. Not sure exactly how much lean angle that would come down to, but on the stock tires, the rear definitely had much more unused tire while the front stock tire was down to within 2-3 mm. That's pretty odd for me considering I usually never get my front tire near the edge. .
I agree with your disagreement Kojiiro.(Does that make sense haha,it does to me)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think was taking the OP's statement incorrectly?
I thought they meant 'hard cornering' to use the whole tyre, or to make it work well.
not the shape of the actual contact patch
(which changes as the bike turns, and differs slightly between brands, ie even the S21 is different to the S20, RS10 different again.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think was taking the OP's statement incorrectly?
I thought they meant 'hard cornering' to use the whole tyre, or to make it work well.
not the shape of the actual contact patch
(which changes as the bike turns, and differs slightly between brands, ie even the S21 is different to the S20, RS10 different again.
After a certain lean angle, it's not going to matter what the tire profile is. You will hit the edge regardless. You race and I have only don't weekend canyon rides and two track days. My lean angles aren't going to be nearly as much as yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts