Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the left side of the rear wheel are two concentric rings. They don't seem to be doing anything and the parts microfiche just calls them "brackets". Does anyone know what they are for? Should I just remove them?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I buy the "catch the chain" theory. But why 2 rings? The inner ring still seems useless. (Looks like I'll be taking off the rear wheel to remove both.)

With thanks to mgfchapin.

Greg

780 Posts
I also couldn't come up with a use for it so it came off when I put track tires on. I was thinking it had something to do with a feature that wasn't on the US bikes, like ABS or something, but the chain thing seems reasonable on a beginner bike...

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Those are power rings - they make the bike faster. I have a near-pristine set if you need extras.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Those are power rings - they make the bike faster. I have a near-pristine set if you need extras.
You're killin' me. Now I'm considering buying yours to put on the other side of my wheel.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Be EXTREMELY careful if you do that - - two power rings on one wheel will lead to the rear spinning up every time you come out of the turn and give it some gas. Just too much power for that bike.

And if you get the Power Bands, be sure and get the red ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts