Yamaha R3 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts
Miami, Florida Dealers

I called Yamaha directly since I had not received a letter. They confirmed that my R3 is on the recall list and also informed me that I never got a letter because my warranty information was never submitted by the original dealer. Apparently that's how Yamaha HQ creates their contact lists.

They did say that it wouldn't effect me at all since this is a recall issue and not warranty but that I better get the dealer to submit that info ASAP in case something were to happen.

I'll be taking my bike to a different dealer for the repair. Done with those guys.

My dealer called me today. They got my recall parts kit in. I just need to arrange a day and time to drop-off my bike.

I was going to start another thread... but I feel lazy today. So I just used this one instead. It's old.... but it still works.

Called in today to verify if mine needed the recall service... and sure enough it does... right during prime riding season :(
Oh billy, they are going have a fun time with removing my fairings since I mounted my HID ballast to them haha.
Any how, looks like I'll try and take the 40 mile commute home easy and stay in the slow lane. Saw on facebook a guys r3 rear wheel locked up on him while driving, he suspects it is the clutch recall issue :/

Looks like I will be a cager until I can get the service.

Called dealer last Tuesday, parts arrived Friday. Going to drop bike off this Thursday.

Original appt last Fri was just to swap tires to a stickier set (Michelin 2CTs now mounted). They had the recall parts in already but wouldn't have been able to squeeze in the repair within the original timeframe.

Still riding the bike, but with a trackday looming next month, wanted to get the repair done now versus anything close to 08.08.

Picked up the bike today, it was actually ready on Saturday but couldn't make it to the dealer that day. Idk if it was placebo effect but the shifting was smooth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2015 R3 goes in tomorrow for this recall. I am curious as I hear they have to remove the motor from the frame to work on it? what all will be done? My bike is my sole transportation, so I would like to know whats going on with it. The foreign video of the mechanic beating away at the R3 I watch kind of scared the sh!t out of me as some mechanics even in the states work this way....

Any mechanics here done this and seen exactly what is done here?

Thanks!
Jack

My 2015 R3 goes in tomorrow for this recall. I am curious as I hear they have to remove the motor from the frame to work on it? what all will be done? My bike is my sole transportation, so I would like to know whats going on with it. The foreign video of the mechanic beating away at the R3 I watch kind of scared the sh!t out of me as some mechanics even in the states work this way....

Any mechanics here done this and seen exactly what is done here?

Thanks!
Jack
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM533987/RCSB-16V460-6379.pdf

This shows and tells tech how to do Recall. Wish it had showed and told tech how to remove and reinstall fairings as I had to reinstall mine after I got home. Tech was not versed on that for sure. Hope he did better job on the actual recall.

Here is a video of my R3 recall. Does not include the service procedure But includes the part when the BIKE overheated as the service technician forgot to fill the radiator coolant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3FrAMz8xo
Wth. "Either it's not reading it right or there's an actual issue"... It's a very new bike why wouldn't you pull over and let it cool?

Here is a video of my R3 recall. Does not include the service procedure But includes the part when the BIKE overheated as the service technician forgot to fill the radiator coolant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3FrAMz8xo
I now have very high blood pressure from the traffic... and the fact I was sitting here yelling pull over an let it cool down! Call them! Call them! Do you know how lucky you are the entire engine didn't just seize in mid traffic? With that kind of traffic you'd definitely be dead. [emoji27] [emoji32]

Wth. "Either it's not reading it right or there's an actual issue"... It's a very new bike why wouldn't you pull over and let it cool?
Sounds really bad isn't it :( Actually, the Bike can take a lot more heat till it switches off by itself. Continued....

I now have very high blood pressure from the traffic... and the fact I was sitting here yelling pull over an let it cool down! Call them! Call them! Do you know how lucky you are the entire engine didn't just seize in mid traffic? With that kind of traffic you'd definitely be dead. [emoji27] [emoji32]
...But The fact was that they forgot to top up the radiator, so basically the coolant was there but was not flowing as there was a gap.

Also, the fact that I am/was a noob :| and didn't know what to do as the service center was very near. In all, the bike ran like that for about 12 minutes but did not encounter a thermal shutdown.

I later read the manual and found that if the heat meter starts to blink then it means that the bike is going into thermal shutdown state.

At the time that this happened, I was under the impression that the bike should shutdown by itself if there is a coolant issue. The coolant level was also correct. So I thought that this was some sort of sensor issue.

My doubt was corrected when another R3 owner came back with the same issue. He had gone even farther from where I was.:eek:

Sounds really bad isn't it :( Actually, the Bike can take a lot more heat till it switches off by itself. Continued....

...But The fact was that they forgot to top up the radiator, so basically the coolant was there but was not flowing as there was a gap.

Also, the fact that I am/was a noob :| and didn't know what to do as the service center was very near. In all, the bike ran like that for about 12 minutes but did not encounter a thermal shutdown.

I later read the manual and found that if the heat meter starts to blink then it means that the bike is going into thermal shutdown state.

At the time that this happened, I was under the impression that the bike should shutdown by itself if there is a coolant issue. The coolant level was also correct. So I thought that this was some sort of sensor issue.

My doubt was corrected when another R3 owner came back with the same issue. He had gone even farther from where I was.:eek:
I had my cars head cease. It was great fun... the pressure cap on my radiator never blew so my radiator blew instead... I didn't know I was inside dropping my kids off... got about 5 miles until my head just twisted that it locked up. All over the stupid way I had to have it rigged up to work... because Mitsubishi can't fix it. Now I run with three spare fan controllers. I rebuilt my engine myself thank god I can do that because I definitely didn't have the money for a new car... before I even left the dealership I checked everything. Sounds like you had an air bubble.. I love my dealer but I just don't trust them 100% they're busy and it's so easy to make a mistake. I've had a friend start an engine with out oil because he swore he put oil in it. Oops. Aluminum is so easy effected by heat. [emoji14]

I had my cars head cease. It was great fun... the pressure cap on my radiator never blew so my radiator blew instead... I didn't know I was inside dropping my kids off... got about 5 miles until my head just twisted that it locked up. All over the stupid way I had to have it rigged up to work... because Mitsubishi can't fix it. Now I run with three spare fan controllers. I rebuilt my engine myself thank god I can do that because I definitely didn't have the money for a new car... before I even left the dealership I checked everything. Sounds like you had an air bubble.. I love my dealer but I just don't trust them 100% they're busy and it's so easy to make a mistake. I've had a friend start an engine with out oil because he swore he put oil in it. Oops. Aluminum is so easy effected by heat. [emoji14]
Yup, I am extra carefull these days.
I am thinking of replacing the stock coolant with some extra cool type race coolant so that I do not have to worry about overheating.

Now I realize how good my old air cooled honda was :p

Yup, I am extra carefull these days.
I am thinking of replacing the stock coolant with some extra cool type race coolant so that I do not have to worry about overheating.

Now I realize how good my old air cooled honda was :p
Oh god air cooled... just don't chase a Sabre v65 up a mountain when it 110℉ and the bike has to run 20/50w conventional.... because you will burn all your oil. Doing 100mph flat two up... what a terrible smell.. gives me nightmares. It was an 1976 xs650 poor thing we rebuilt her... my ex has just beat the bike so bad now... if your afraid you could get engine ice or something like that... I'm now dating my boyfriend had the Honda v65 Sabre that beast loved to over heat besides a fan that loved to never turn on her out engine ice in it.. it never over heated again... put a fan switch to turn the fan on when stopped. [emoji14] oh bikes they're like pokèmon I want to catch them all....

Oh god air cooled... just don't chase a Sabre v65 up a mountain when it 110℉ and the bike has to run 20/50w conventional.... because you will burn all your oil. Doing 100mph flat two up... what a terrible smell.. gives me nightmares. It was an 1976 xs650 poor thing we rebuilt her... my ex has just beat the bike so bad now... if your afraid you could get engine ice or something like that... I'm now dating my boyfriend had the Honda v65 Sabre that beast loved to over heat besides a fan that loved to never turn on her out engine ice in it.. it never over heated again... put a fan switch to turn the fan on when stopped. [emoji14] oh bikes they're like pokèmon I want to catch them all....
My r3 radiator fan is quite good. Just as everyone's bike here. Just the find are bent. All because of the negligence of the dealership technicians. Now I can't even make them straight. Does anyone know how much would a new radiator cost?

My r3 radiator fan is quite good. Just as everyone's bike here. Just the find are bent. All because of the negligence of the dealership technicians. Now I can't even make them straight. Does anyone know how much would a new radiator cost?
In the US you can get them on partzilla or a place like that for pretty cheap

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.