Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to have the recall work done at a Yamaha dealer or can you get the parts from them (free of charge under recall) and do the work yourself? I wonder if they'd be ok with that? Has anyone tried?

The process of changing out the oil pump and clutch bearing is pretty straight forward, especially since they just replace the whole pressure plate with the bearing already attached. I have all the tools and knowledge to do it. I'd much rather go that route if allowed, since my bike is already torn up since I'm in the process of building up a race bike. It'd be more of a hassle for me to load the bike up in a trailer, drop it off there, and then pick up up later, plus they'd be in for a real surprise when I show up with a bike without a kickstand, key, rear sets, shift lever, lights, seat, all fairings, etc. lol

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I don't think Yamaha will send you the parts for free so you can install them yourself (even if you're knowledgeable to do so yourself). There's liability involved and in order to have the recall performed to Yamaha's satisfaction, parts will only be sent to authorized Yamaha repair shops for installation.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think Yamaha will send you the parts for free so you can install them yourself (even if you're knowledgeable to do so yourself). There's liability involved and in order to have the recall performed to Yamaha's satisfaction, parts will only be sent to authorized Yamaha repair shops for installation.
That's kinda what I figured, but wanted to see if anyone's tried it. Yamaha wouldn't send them directly to me, but to the local dealer. They're already on order and the dealer will call me when the parts arrive. I just wondered if when I get that call I can just ask them to give me the parts rather than me bringing in the bike....but my guess is they will probably say NO for the reasons you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
They're already on order and the dealer will call me when the parts arrive. I just wondered if when I get that call I can just ask them to give me the parts rather than me bringing in the bike.
It certainly doesn't hurt to ask but I'd be really surprised if they did that. Ya never know until you ask though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only way its possible is if you have a buddy/relative who works as a Yamaha technician and he gets you the parts and trusts you enough to do it and change its status in the database all on the sly. Which I have done for a minor recall on another bike. Otherwise, no, they won't.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only way its possible is if you have a buddy/relative who works as a Yamaha technician and he gets you the parts and trusts you enough to do it and change its status in the database all on the sly. Which I have done for a minor recall on another bike. Otherwise, no, they won't.
Good to know. I figured that would be the case. Just thought I'd ask. No biggie...thankfully at least there is a Yamaha dealer in my town. I just hate dealing with them.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it's as I thought. No big deal though...just had the recall work done at the local dealer today. They were not impressed when I showed up with a stripped down bike without a kick stand. Sounded like they were going to screw me out of an oil change because if it's on the side stand you don't have to dump the oil (didn't think you could get away with that for the oil pump but whatever). I mean Yamaha's basically paying them to do it anyway so not sure what the big deal is other than trying to cut corners. But when I got home I realized they also overfilled it with oil! Eye-glass is full all the way to the top! Bastards....this is why I hate dealing with them and I do pretty much all work myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts