Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys recommend a reasonably cost set up for a new rider, Jacket, Gloves, Helmet?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Assuming you go all new and no craigslist or second hand...

100 pants
150 jacket
75 gloves
150 helmet

That is sub 500, that is reasonable considering I spent 2000 total for my first gears. You also need some boots which you can go 150. But for your helmet, I'd consider 200+ range.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It's going to be hard to find a leather jacket for $150. I prefer leather and have retired my textile gear for leather. I have crashed in cheap Bilt gloves that probably cost around $20 and they did their job. I agree with the price range of the other stuff listed above. Some helmets can even be had for $99 new.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you shop around you can find some really great deals, I got my textile jacket brand new for $115 with full CE armor (CE2 spine protector, full length) typically went for $250. I got a DOT/ECE rated helmet as a spare/passenger helmet for $40 (Speed and Strength ss1300). Boots I ended up paying full price for, couldn't find any great deals on full length boots or gloves.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you shop around you can find some really great deals, I got my textile jacket brand new for $115 with full CE armor (CE2 spine protector, full length) typically went for $250. I got a DOT/ECE rated helmet as a spare/passenger helmet for $40 (Speed and Strength ss1300). Boots I ended up paying full price for, couldn't find any great deals on full length boots or gloves.
I forgot to mention boots. Important piece of riding gear imo. I paid $43 on base for a $180 pair of boots. The perks of being in the military I guess. There are plenty of videos of people really messing up their foot/ankle/leg because of lack of protection. Last one I saw was a girl riding 2up and they wrecked. I believe she lost that foot. I think they even show it in the video. Crashing does gnarly things to the human body.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I spent $250 just on boots for that reason, it seems to be one of the most common injury areas. Not only that when injuries do occur they're usually fairly traumatic in that area (guessing due to lowsides and feet getting trapped.) I use TCX-S Speed boots and love them, I'd recommend a full boot over ankle, definitely something with ankle protection, I went with S Speeds specifically for the torsion control (stopping damage to your ligaments).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice, thanks guys. So far I've picked up a RPHA Max modular, AVG Sport gloves, Dainese Air 3 Jacket, MotoCentric Raid boots.
I tried on a few full face helmet but finally settled for the modular which felt the most comfortable and best fit. I would definitely like to get a much nicer boots in the future.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Great advice, thanks guys. So far I've picked up a RPHA Max modular, AVG Sport gloves, Dainese Air 3 Jacket, MotoCentric Raid boots.
I tried on a few full face helmet but finally settled for the modular which felt the most comfortable and best fit. I would definitely like to get a much nicer boots in the future.
Riding and riding gear isn't always comfy. We just kind of get used to it. Dress for the slide, not the ride, if I had to pick between comfort and protection, I would go with protection. Not saying modulars won't protect you, I just like full face much more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts