Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’ve had my 2018 R3 for just over a month and wondering what exhaust anyone recommends. I’m in Australia and I think I can get a slip on for about $300-$400.
Are there any brands anyone can attest to?

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Upper left side of this page you'll see "Forum", under that you can find "R3 Tech", and "exhaust and fuel" along with many other discussions. Take a looky-loo and see what's already been discussed, until other members chime in. Link is below..
https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/546-exhaust-fuel-delivery/

While you're looking, keep in mind.. While most slip-ons will not include the removal of the catalytic converter.. that's not Always the case.. If the "cat" is removed, you'll need to address and adjust/tune the air/fuel systems that will be effected by that removal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi guys I’ve had my 2018 R3 for just over a month and wondering what exhaust anyone recommends. I’m in Australia and I think I can get a slip on for about $300-$400.
I bought an Australian made one for $299 NZD delivered to NZ. Very high quality and a great sound - they are quite loud but come with a baffle included to silence it somewhat. I imagine you could probably get one cheaper living in AUS, they might list them on gumtree or their own website? They've since upped their prices since they've become really popular in NZ and AUS.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/exhaust/listing-2518108838.htm?rsqid=a71daa4b1b324c12ac86739fa7b93584-001

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since a slip on won't increase HP, I recommend the cheapest you can find that has looks/ sound that matches your taste.

My taste is probably cheap because I only spent $50 total and very happy with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since a slip on won't increase HP, I recommend the cheapest you can find that has looks/ sound that matches your taste.

My taste is probably cheap because I only spent $50 total and very happy with it.

Got a link or hint to the one you bought?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's my chinese slip-on from ebay. Sorry for the dirty bike, it's a commuter. Anyway. it's less than $50 with the converter pipe included. The old gasket from the stock pipe won't fit though unless you file it down, but actually, even if that gasket leaks, it's no big deal, the R3 will have the same HP even without a slip-on, you can research this.

Amazon also has one called "anodizing racing" for $65. I'm sure it's the same one, but you get the added benefit of easy returns. Just replace that anodizing decal with an akrapovic or yoshimura decal from ebay. You save some weight, looks good, and sound is noticeably louder and deeper than stock after you remove the baffle. I rely on this when I'm splitting lanes.

Here's how mine sounds like (sorry, it died at first, forgot that the stand was down) also ignore the weird sound when I'm in 4th gear.. that's just camera vibration, not the muffler:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rMaxIEPwTrqKtX8aoMo-RZf_I3O4ExPt

Anyway, if you have the budget, then buy a branded slip-on. Just buy whatever will put a smile on your face :).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Forum. Upper left side of this page you'll see "Forum", under that you can find "R3 Tech", and "exhaust and fuel" along with many other discussions. Take a looky-loo and see what's already been discussed, until other members chime in. Link is below..
https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/546-exhaust-fuel-delivery/

While you're looking, keep in mind.. While most slip-ons will not include the removal of the catalytic converter.. that's not Always the case.. If the "cat" is removed, you'll need to address and adjust/tune the air/fuel systems that will be effected by that removal.
Great thanks ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought an Australian made one for $299 NZD delivered to NZ. Very high quality and a great sound - they are quite loud but come with a baffle included to silence it somewhat. I imagine you could probably get one cheaper living in AUS, they might list them on gumtree or their own website? They've since upped their prices since they've become really popular in NZ and AUS.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/exhaust/listing-2518108838.htm?rsqid=a71daa4b1b324c12ac86739fa7b93584-001
I’ll check them out, thanks!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Here's my chinese slip-on from ebay. Sorry for the dirty bike, it's a commuter. Anyway. it's less than $50 with the converter pipe included. The old gasket from the stock pipe won't fit though unless you file it down, but actually, even if that gasket leaks, it's no big deal, the R3 will have the same HP even without a slip-on, you can research this.

Amazon also has one called "anodizing racing" for $65. I'm sure it's the same one, but you get the added benefit of easy returns. Just replace that anodizing decal with an akrapovic or yoshimura decal from ebay. You save some weight, looks good, and sound is noticeably louder and deeper than stock after you remove the baffle. I rely on this when I'm splitting lanes.

Here's how mine sounds like (sorry, it died at first, forgot that the stand was down) also ignore the weird sound when I'm in 4th gear.. that's just camera vibration, not the muffler:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rMaxIEPwTrqKtX8aoMo-RZf_I3O4ExPt

Anyway, if you have the budget, then buy a branded slip-on. Just buy whatever will put a smile on your face :).
Please, don’t rely on an exhaust when splitting lanes to be noticed. Always ride as if no one can see/hear you.

Loud pipes are cool, I’m. It opposed to them, but don’t let it be something you rely on when your safety is on the line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
M4 all the way

I've heard quite a few aftermarket exhaust solutions, and my M4 Street Slayer slip on sounds wonderful. I bought a 2017 R3 with 1000 miles on it that has the Street Slayer, a fender delete and a few other goodies. I love the sound of the M4. After looking up the price of said slip on, if I was the original owner spending a little more than $450 for the slip on, I might have sprung for the full system. For a little over $200 more, you can get an M4 full system. With the DB killer in, it is plenty loud without being too much. With the DB killer out, it is quite loud. After going for a short ride, I out the DB killer back in since it was a little wild. Definitely check out a few Youtube videos of the M4 Street Slayer slip on. I'll throw in a pic. Cheers.

Edit: Totally forgot, but the said slip on reduces over 10 LBS off the bike. That is a very decent weight loss.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
I've heard quite a few aftermarket exhaust solutions, and my M4 Street Slayer slip on sounds wonderful. I bought a 2017 R3 with 1000 miles on it that has the Street Slayer, a fender delete and a few other goodies. I love the sound of the M4. After looking up the price of said slip on, if I was the original owner spending a little more than $450 for the slip on, I might have sprung for the full system. For a little over $200 more, you can get an M4 full system. With the DB killer in, it is plenty loud without being too much. With the DB killer out, it is quite loud. After going for a short ride, I out the DB killer back in since it was a little wild. Definitely check out a few Youtube videos of the M4 Street Slayer slip on. I'll throw in a pic. Cheers.
Edit: Totally forgot, but the said slip on reduces over 10 LBS off the bike. That is a very decent weight loss.
The M4 does make a nice finished project.. But this is one of the very few "slip-ons" that eliminate the catalytic converter.. Per the information provided by the company.. And will in all probability require additional mods to help out the ECU take care of the air/fuel mixtures to run properly. :nerd:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I bought a slip on one off of Ebay for about $70.00, I have friends who have paid for the 3 or 4 hundred ones and neither I nor they can tell a difference in the sound. I also preferred the look of the less expensive one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello! I got this same exhaust from Amazon for 60 shipped. I found they did not send an exhaust gasket. I bought the Yamaha one and it's a tiny bit too thick. I think I can just push it in until the gasket gets crushed smaller but haven't done it. How did you handle the gasket?

2020_0115_174854_003.MOV

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use Competition Werkes on all of my bikes. I had their slip on on season 1, then switched to their full GP system with cat removal Y-Pipe (their first one) on both of my bikes. Very happy with it. I also did PC5 and had the bike dyno'd. I have photos and videos of this on line - Look up Rides Done Right in the Return to Tracks section for slip on, and Road to Road Racing for the full systems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bud, the best value for money exhaust is Mivv Double Gun by far....it pops occasionally and sounds MUCH better in person than in the videos. It doesn't hurt ears of the rider, it doesn't sound obnoxiously loud and the pops from the exhaust mix with the Rapsy Engine note at high RPM which makes for a very giggly and awesome ride. Trust me it actually sounds better than a CBR650F/R & CB65R stock exhaust.

For reference you can watch Danger Dan's Yamaha R3 Raw engine sound videos but I doubt it does justice to the exhaust note.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts