Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a big spools and stands thread with the last post in May or so, but I'm looking for recommendations on some rugged *enough* rear spools that are also smallish befitting the bike. That thread really doesn't have enough pic on bikes for me to judge scale. Can anyone recommend some, hopefully with a link?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I know there is a big spools and stands thread with the last post in May or so, but I'm looking for recommendations on some rugged *enough* rear spools that are also smallish befitting the bike. That thread really doesn't have enough pic on bikes for me to judge scale. Can anyone recommend some, hopefully with a link?
I have these that I got from TST and I'm happy with them. I certainly din't put them on and think they were too big, and quality seems great.
https://tstindustries.com/Swingarm-Spools-Sliders-Womet-Tech-Yamaha.html

·
Registered
196 Posts
The smallest and narrowest one i have seen and used are vortex. Driven are also small, slightly larger and wider. TST is considered big because it is a spool slider

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The smallest and narrowest one i have seen and used are vortex. Driven are also small, slightly larger and wider. TST is considered big because it is a spool slider
Good point. Not looking for protection. I just won't....ahem....drop it....:cool: Really just need them for chain maintenance. Also ordering some for new XSR, but they can be adult sized....lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, I had Vortex but then grabbed a set of Pit Bulls. First I got the Vortex in titanium, and am really fond of Vortex stuff. Then I switched to Woodcraft slider spools for some protection and functionality. The Woodcraft slider spoools are really robust and beefy, but you said you're not looking for protection. THen I actually got Dimotiv chain adjusters that give you another slider spool/spool mount toward the rear more. Then I got Dimotiv front and rear axle sliders, and decided to try the Pitbull spools in Gold to match some other parts. The Vortex got scratched pretty easy, but not the Pitbulls. They are comparable in size and both offer great functionality with rear stands.

Here's a pic of the Pitbulls. Bought them for $19.99

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have these that I got from TST and I'm happy with them. I certainly din't put them on and think they were too big, and quality seems great.
https://tstindustries.com/Swingarm-Spools-Sliders-Womet-Tech-Yamaha.html

Thanks. Allow me to hijack my own thread. How do you like that exhaust? Assuming it's the slip on. I'm leaning that way for looks and slightly better sound. Have watched some videos. Really need to get a rivet tool!?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Thanks. Allow me to hijack my own thread. How do you like that exhaust? Assuming it's the slip on. I'm leaning that way for looks and slightly better sound. Have watched some videos. Really need to get a rivet tool!?
For the price, I like it a lot. Looks good, sounds great and didn't break the bank
I bought a rivet gun for around $7 at Home Depot and it took all of two minutes to install.

Videos do none of these exhausts justice. It sounds great in person.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you want small'ish spools to jack up your bike and whatnot. Sounds like you want something super low-profile or something that won't stick out. I personally use Oxford Big Black Bike stands

(link here)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-big-black-bike-rear-stand

they have little platforms that the swingarm sits on top and i put those right in front of that little notch where you'd screw in spools; works perfectly and i never needed to get spools haha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good point. Not looking for protection. I just won't....ahem....drop it....:cool: Really just need them for chain maintenance. Also ordering some for new XSR, but they can be adult sized....lol
For just chain maintenance I use a section of RVC pipe cut to the proper length, propped up under the swingarm on the right side.
With the side stand deployed, lift up the right side of the bike and place the PVC underneath, rear wheel is now free to turn.
A bike as light as the R3 is easy to lift.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
That's all well and good for a quick chain lube but for alignment or more in depth maintenance work, I'd want the bike on something more stable that a piece of PVC.
A rear stand is also very useful for long term storage. For someone in a region that sees snow, it's not uncommon to leave a bike sitting for 3-4 months, if not longer, Getting it up off the tires helps to avoid flat spots and for storage, I'd want something more stable like a proper bike stand.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pitbull spools are the smallest I've seen.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts