Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm brand new to racing and to riding anything smaller than my CBR600RR. I have a new R3 still in the break-in period that I want to set up to race AFM.

I'm not a crazy fast rider. In fact, I see the times you guys are getting on the R3s and wonder how the heck you're getting those! :) , but I want to get the most out of my R3. (Did I see someone won with a 2:06 at THill?).

Now that you've raced them with the upgrades you've done, do you wish you had done anything differently?

Where should I begin assuming I don't have the budget to do everything right now?

How did you break it in? Some say gently for the first 1k. Some say ride it like you race it after the first 200 and oil change.

The R3 sits very upright - did you change that or leave it?

AFM #967

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I see this is your first post - welcome.
Lots of questions there, so you may want to take a look at some of the established threads to bring yourself up to speed.
Most have done the typical race mods: Crash diet, brake lines, bodywork, clip-ons, rearsets and suspension upgrades.
No budget? - you probably shouldn't be racing.>:D

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-...yamaha-r3-faq-how-mega-thread-read-first.html

·
Registered
424 Posts
Make sure you check your local racing rules for the class you will be racing in, there's no use spending thousands on suspension if you need to retain stock suspension.
As for break in period, I normally break it in gently. I won't have a chance to do a gentle break in on my r3 so I'll be riding it like its stolen throughout the break in.
Clipons and rearsets will change the upright positioning to a more sporting position- once again... Download the rules for the class you intend to race, they can be extremely restrictive in the mods allowed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I've read several threads, but much of what I've seen was done when the R3 was very new and aftermarket parts were fairly limited. I was curious if anyone is changing things around as more options appear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
re: break in... my R3 had .2 miles on it Tuesday morning. Rode it to work 20 miles, didn't whack the throttle open but saw 8K rpm at highway speeds. On the ride home I discovered it has a bright white shift light! Didn't get into the limiter but did see that shift light plenty more... That'll possibly be the last time it sees the street- next outing will be dyno time, then racing. I'm confident that it will stay together just as well as one that's babied and probably make more power and burn less oil in the long run.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Thanks for the input. I've read several threads, but much of what I've seen was done when the R3 was very new and aftermarket parts were fairly limited. I was curious if anyone is changing things around as more options appear.
This was probably true a year ago, but pretty much all needed go-fast bits are now readily available.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
All the vendors on the site sell the go-fast parts you are going to want (Fork springs, emulators, intiminators, shocks, brake lines, brake pads, brake calipers, brake levers, master cylinders, exhausts, rear sets, fuel controllers, quick shifters etc).

If you go to the vendors' page, they usually have a link you can click that leads straight to the R3 section.

I believe Stirz has a thread that shows just how much weight you can drop from an R3, to prep it for racing.

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/ even has the how-to install articles.

The other vendors may have install articles and videos as well, I just havent really looked.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Where should I begin assuming I don't have the budget to do everything right now?
1. mods for rules compliance and ergonomics
2. suspension - springs
3. tires
4. suspension - cartridges (mine, Andreani, Matris, etc) and shock.

You can race with no money, just won't be winning.

"To go fast, use less brake."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does the racers friends did any modification in your bikes than only installing racing parts?
Has someone already checked out if the throttle body has 100% of oppening when we pull 100% of throttle?
And that snorkels after the air filter, has someone modified that? Does it had any positive effect?
It's curious how the R25 has almost the same performance as the R3. Is it possible that the R3 has some power limitation?
I just reached 186kmh in my bike with 87 octanes gas, is that good?
I have full exhaust and sport air filter, and 2 friends with stock bikes had exactly the same performance as me. Maybe I spent my money away with theese modifications :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts