Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pirelli

So.... out for a ride last week, noticed the rear tire getting squishy... sure enough 1.5" nail.

Plugged it on the side of the road but looking at replacing both now.

Whats everyones recommendations? New to street riding so Im clueless

I feel like the Pilot Streets slip pretty easily on cornering
I changed mine to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II in the first week and they truly handle like a track tire. The Rosso series is a street series, so they added more rubber in the center of the tyre for more miles, but the side area is very soft to give you excellent holding when you drag your knee.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That would be my recommendation also for a good street tire. Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, available in the same size as stock tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to bump an older thread. But how did you feel about going with the 160 Corsas? That fitment looks really tight and extremely close to the swing arm. Does the tire ever rub? Need a new rear and am looking for a good all around tire. Had a S20 on there that I really liked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you, FangShui. I've done a lot of lurking and see you around the forum a lot. I'll probably go with the S20 EVO, if that's what is recommended.

As far as sizing goes, I like the look of wider tires, but my research tells me this will significantly decrease safety and performance.

Would it be safe to go with a 120/160 or should I stick to the standard 110/140?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Thank you, FangShui. I've done a lot of lurking and see you around the forum a lot. I'll probably go with the S20 EVO, if that's what is recommended.

As far as sizing goes, I like the look of wider tires, but my research tells me this will significantly decrease safety and performance.

Would it be safe to go with a 120/160 or should I stick to the standard 110/140?
It's generally best to keep the tires dimensions the same. If you could find a 150/65-17, that would be almost identical in all aspects with the exception of width.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=140-70r17-150-65r17

For a 160, you'd need to find a 160/60-17 to be close and not adversely affect handling. As stated elsewhere, going this wide would mean the tire wouldn't heat up properly/uniformly and grip could be sacrificed, causing safety issues.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=140-70r17-160-60r17

The problem lies in finding these sizes in the tires you want. They aren't common sizes.

I went with the S20 EVOS in stock sizes. I'm happy with them.

Read this short article about changing tire sizes and safety

http://www.sportrider.com/does-size-matter?image=0

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a rusty 3" bolt that was ground down like a nail into the center of my rear tire the 2nd day I owned the bike! It sucked for sure, but on the positive side, it gave me a chance to replace the tires. I went for the Diablo Rosso 2. They are awesome. way more confident on these. More grip and they wear pretty good too!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Aufitt, I got the S20 evos at 200 miles so I never tried anything else. How do the S20's compare to the other track/ street tires out there? Do you think they are the best performing tires for track? What other tires are good for the track and some street?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Aufitt, I got the S20 evos at 200 miles so I never tried anything else. How do the S20's compare to the other track/ street tires out there? Do you think they are the best performing tires for track? What other tires are good for the track and some street?

I went with the Pirelli Rosso II and they were much better then stock. Not sure how the Rosso would compare to the S20. Anyone tried both? I'm curious as to which has better performance and better longevity? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with the Pirelli Rosso II and they were much better then stock. Not sure how the Rosso would compare to the S20. Anyone tried both? I'm curious as to which has better performance and better longevity? :)

I'm about to get new tires soon.. I'm between the S20 and pirelli? Any one have any comparisons between the two..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I ran the Pirellis and now have the S20s mounted. I found the Pirellis a bit too slow on turn in compared to the original tires which were really fast but slippery. The S20s are almost as easy turning as the original tires but stick like glue. As I remember, Ari Henning did a comparison between these two and something else and recommended the S20s over the others. I would agree with him. Actually you can't go wrong with either one compared to the original bias ply tire that comes stock.

Marc

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm about to get new tires soon.. I'm between the S20 and pirelli? Any one have any comparisons between the two..

Ive done one track day on each, and used about 5 sets of DR2's in the past.

S20 lighter, better fronts in the dry, better feel.
cant fault DR2 rear,
DR2 front a bit chunky and vague but wet grip unbeatable,
S20 rears $50 more in my country.
S20 could perhaps run a 150 to get a better shape, jury is out at that stage but running out of tyre quickly.
DR2 runs usual race Pirelli 27R/31F psi hot on warmers , yet found the S20 needed stupidly low pressures of 26R/27F on warmers

My review here-
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1061743&postcount=26

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I'm a casual rider, first bike, but I'm getting a hang of it.
Don't think I'll do track, just roads, and I'm starting to get a hang of riding, leaning more and more.
Should I switch stock tires ? Or is this discussion just for track ?
I'm too much of a newbie to know if tires are not that good.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts