Yamaha R3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
So I'm a casual rider, first bike, but I'm getting a hang of it.
Don't think I'll do track, just roads, and I'm starting to get a hang of riding, leaning more and more.
Should I switch stock tires ? Or is this discussion just for track ?
I'm too much of a newbie to know if tires are not that good.
I can only comment about the Bridgestone S20 EVOS, but they make a HUGE difference for street riding. I didn't really think the stock tires were that bad until I made the change. In comparison, the stockers are crap.

The S20's are well worth the cost if that happens to fit your budget ($200 plus mounting/balancing cost). Sell the stock tires on eBay or CL to offset some of the cost......

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
So I'm a casual rider, first bike, but I'm getting a hang of it.
Don't think I'll do track, just roads, and I'm starting to get a hang of riding, leaning more and more.
Should I switch stock tires ? Or is this discussion just for track ?
I'm too much of a newbie to know if tires are not that good.
The discussion isnt just for track.

Should you switch tires? Depends on what type of riding, but from what it sounds like, you are a newer rider and probably dont need the extra performance from a tire like S20s or Q3s.

For me, the stock tires arent that good, but I need a tire that I can commute on, and offers excellent grip for the canyons and track days. I have had S20s on other bikes and really liked them. I ended up with those on the R3 as well. I sacrificed tire life in exchange for better grip so I am not messing with different tire sets for commuting and changing them out for the track or canyons.

FWIW, I have dragged knee on the stock tires, bu that was at low speed <30. Might be a bit different dragging knee at track speeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, I'm getting a set of Rosso Corsas in 120/65 front 160/60 rear. If I don't like them, they'll go on another bike and I'll get Rosso II's in the original 110/70 and 140/70.

Do you have the sizes mentioned above on your r3? The 120/160? If you do, does it fit nicely and rides well?
Also why a 65 front and a 60 rear?

Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Being more of a commuter than a dedicated track runner, which tires would be the recommended set for most mileage? I'm looking to get the longest treat life as possible. Therefore, would stock, Diablo Rossi II's or s20 EVO's be better for that purpose?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Being more of a commuter than a dedicated track runner, which tires would be the recommended set for most mileage? I'm looking to get the longest treat life as possible. Therefore, would stock, Diablo Rossi II's or s20 EVO's be better for that purpose?
Some of those questions are addressed in previous posts, but short answer is stock will give higher mileage than the others mentioned. If you want maximum mileage, look at 'touring' tires - as with all tire choices, it's a compromise: More traction = softer compound = shorter tire life. More tire life = harder compound = (usually) less traction.

·
Registered
254 Posts
S20 are on the bike now with 100 miles on them really like them just breaking them in gently on the corners. $211 with free shipping and $83.00 to balance and install and take that round chain guard off the sprocket. Even though the metal matched my pit bull stand lol. The stock tires are in the garage with 1900 miles on them. I know these will be better for me. I don't commute just ride the bike for fun and too get out of the house and ride twisty's all around me. Griffic Park- Observatory -Mulholland and Angeles Crest Hwy. I ride these roads over and over. and starting to remember pot holes & bumps and stuff like giant holes ouch if your riding at night.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjBtOqcrPLKAhWKwiYKHQgNClQQFggmMAE&url=http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1221/California/Angeles-Crest-Highway.html&usg=AFQjCNHS0DrK-RXlxF486nH_cIljEFy1Kw

·
Registered
254 Posts
Stock would be best of the three you picked.
NOT the best tire's for commuting. Best Grip & Handling category. here is a link for tire comparison of (not commuting tire's)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Continental Sport Attack 3's are being supposed to ship in the next week or so, available in 110/70 17F and 150/60 17R. I think I'm going to give these a try when I can get my hands on them. I'm looking for a tire with more grip without sacrificing too much longevity. I've had Pirelli DR2's on my previous CBR 250R and went through a rear in ~4,500 miles. Another member posted replacing the S20 EVO's in 3,200 miles, if I can get 6k+ miles I'll be happy.

The new Sport Attack is supposed to have slightly more longevity than the SA2's. I found some people got ~5k on much bigger bikes with them, 6k+ should be easily attainable on the R3.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can I change only the rear tire? I mean the brand of the tire. I have a nail in the rear tire so I would need to change it but im short of money to change both the front and rear. Looking to get the s20 140/70R17, I have seen good reviews from them.

Thanks

Max

·
Registered
856 Posts
Can I change only the rear tire? I mean the brand of the tire. I have a nail in the rear tire so I would need to change it but im short of money to change both the front and rear. Looking to get the s20 140/70R17, I have seen good reviews from them.

Thanks

Max

You can, but the very next fortnight's pay get the matching front. and don't go exploiting the 1000% more rear grip you now have.

Both Michelins should be beaten with a fire stick and torched to a firey death... NOW. how they passed ADR's is beyond me.

S20's are good road tyres. very good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone comment on Pirelli sport demon tires. I ve heard many R3 owners saying good things about its longeivity and better-than-stock grip. There are no tracks around my place for track days. Are they better for all round Street use?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I dont run them anymore as on Dunlop Alpha13SP now,
Had bridgestone S20, best front ever.

But if i was a street rider and needed the best all round tyre hot cold, wet, dry, a trip accross the country, or a track day,
It would be the trusty old Pirelli Diablo rosso2 in oem sizes,
(Pirelli shape is different to Bridgestone and dunlop)
If no wet weather, id go the S20 but use a 150 rear in that model.

Ive tried 4 diff brands and models so far in just a couple thousand Km on the R3. And a few more on 250s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
But if i was a street rider and needed the best all round tyre hot cold, wet, dry, a trip accross the country, or a track day,
(Pirelli shape is different to Bridgestone and dunlop).
This. I finally wore out my set of OEM-sized Rosso 2's and I have nothing but good to say about them. Did a couple track days, some spirited riding and tons of commuting in heavy rain, and they were solid and predictable from 100% tread all the way down to the wear bars. Now I have a Rosso 3 front and Rosso 2 rear ready to mount up. Hopefully it's more of the same.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dont run them anymore as on Dunlop Alpha13SP now,
Had bridgestone S20, best front ever.

(Pirelli shape is different to Bridgestone and dunlop)
If no wet weather, id go the S20 but use a 150 rear in that model.

Ive tried 4 diff brands and models so far in just a couple thousand Km on the R3. And a few more on 250s.
Thanks, this is precisely what I was hoping to hear in my other thread (here totally works though)!

This. I finally wore out my set of OEM-sized Rosso 2's and I have nothing but good to say about them. Did a couple track days, some spirited riding and tons of commuting in heavy rain, and they were solid and predictable from 100% tread all the way down to the wear bars. Now I have a Rosso 3 front and Rosso 2 rear ready to mount up. Hopefully it's more of the same.
Same as above!

Might need to head out in the next days and get a set ordered so I'm ready for...I dunno, late March? Winter sucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So.... out for a ride last week, noticed the rear tire getting squishy... sure enough 1.5" nail.

Plugged it on the side of the road but looking at replacing both now.

Whats everyones recommendations? New to street riding so Im clueless

I feel like the Pilot Streets slip pretty easily on cornering

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plugging a tire is quick and easy.did lawn care for 15yrs and used that exp to plug car tires and bike as long as you don't put two plugs in the same hole u will be fine. I always carry a plug kit

41 - 60 of 60 Posts