Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Remove it with the appropriate socket (I forgot the size) and replace it the same way. the stem nut holds the top triple on but does not preload any bearings. Do be careful about overtightening as the replacement bolts are normally made of aluminum and have a higher possibility of stripping.

·
Registered
2021 R3 Electric Teal
10 Posts
Remove it with the appropriate socket (I forgot the size) and replace it the same way. the stem nut holds the top triple on but does not preload any bearings. Do be careful about overtightening as the replacement bolts are normally made of aluminum and have a higher possibility of stripping.
Thanks for the tips, appreciate it. Just wish it was closer so it would arrive sooner. The case arrives today.

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha YZF-R3A
58 Posts
It's a 21mm if memory serves me correct. You will need a wrench with some length to it to get it off. The new stem bolt from MNNTHBX uses an Allen head to install, which I think is an 8mm (it's been a little while). I would use a 3/8" socket and not an Allen wrench for install. I used a very small amount of blue Loctite on mine, just for a bit of insurance, but I don't think you need it.

I really like mine. I wasn't sure about the whole setup considering the price of just the MNNTHBX stem nut to begin with, but the whole setup is super clean, stable and minimalist on the bars. Now if I just had some touch screen-friendly gloves to actually be able to adjust map apps without having to pull over and take my gloves off.

Also, if you are looking for QuadLock parts and mounts, I have a partner discount code for 10% off.

·
Registered
2021 R3 Electric Teal
10 Posts
It's a 21mm if memory serves me correct. You will need a wrench with some length to it to get it off. The new stem bolt from MNNTHBX uses an Allen head to install, which I think is an 8mm (it's been a little while). I would use a 3/8" socket and not an Allen wrench for install. I used a very small amount of blue Loctite on mine, just for a bit of insurance, but I don't think you need it.

I really like mine. I wasn't sure about the whole setup considering the price of just the MNNTHBX stem nut to begin with, but the whole setup is super clean, stable and minimalist on the bars. Now if I just had some touch screen-friendly gloves to actually be able to adjust map apps without having to pull over and take my gloves off.

Also, if you are looking for QuadLock parts and mounts, I have a partner discount code for 10% off.

Do you have a link for the bolt you bought by chance? I wonder if you you can remove the ball and use the fork stem mount.

the setup looks clean and that's what i liked about it.

·
Registered
2021 R3 Electric Teal
10 Posts
There is no ball removal. It's a one-piece machined stem nut with the ball mount on the end. Looks like it is currently on backorder, but I would say, it's worth the wait.

Thanks, i ordered this one as well to see if i can use the fork stem mount, i was just hoping for something to arrive sooner but i like the look of your setup.

My nut is 22 mm on my 2021, it might be a different size on other years though.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, i ordered this one as well to see if i can use the fork stem mount, i was just hoping for something to arrive sooner but i like the look of your setup.

My nut is 22 mm on my 2021, it might be a different size on other years though.

Does this bolt worked for you with the stem mount? I am having the same issue

·
Registered
426 Posts
Stem bolt torque is 95 Nm or 69 ft.lbs. I do not believe the aluminum part will withstand that torque. For aluminum, the max recommendation is 70 Nm or 51 ft.lbs. If you don't know the quality of the material, drop to 53 Nm or 39 ft. lbs. (Chinese stuff with no data supplied as to alloy). In any case, you will need to make sure to use of anti-seize on the threads - to avoid the aluminum from becoming bound into the head, since the hex head used to install or remove the bolt will likely strip out (aluminum ball adapter) or round off (Hex bolt replacement) if there is excessive force required down the road.

I personally am not a fan of aluminum bolts, so drilled and tapped the stock bolt to accept a 7mm bolt (the stem bolt is class 2, so is not hard to drill), cut off the bolt base from the ball adapter and drilled and countersunk it to bolt it to the bolt. This allowed me to retain stock torque and not worry about removing it down the road.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts