Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my usual chain maintenance, after I cleaned my chain (with kerosene) and before I could lube it up, I saw this fucking thing.. is it time to replace my chain? (currently on 9000km)

This is the only one like this, I lube the chain every 250-300km and clean & lube every 4-500km and it's is the first time I've seen this.

How urgently do y'all think I gotta replace the chain if at all? And do the sprockets gotta be changed as well?

I'm supposed to go on a 200km trip tomorrow so does it seem like it's good to go or cancel trip and replace chain asap?

Pictures (after cleaning, pre lube)

http://imgur.com/gallery/S1urmA8

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**** me.. it's only been 9k km and I've been a good boy, clean and lubing at good intervals! Any ideas why I could've gotten such less mileage? Could it be a bad batch? **** luck? I deserve it? 😂

Edit: necessary to change sprockets as well? Look like they still got good meat on them

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do both sprockets & chain at the same time.... They need to wear into each other to get the longest life. Putting a new chain, on old sprockets, the chain will wear out faster. It's like throwing good money after bad...... When buying a new chain, you really get what you pay for. I replaced my OEM chain on my FZ-07 @ 5K miles. The OEM chains are not the best quality-

·
Registered
135 Posts
During my usual chain maintenance, after I cleaned my chain (with kerosene) and before I could lube it up, I saw this fucking thing.. is it time to replace my chain? (currently on 9000km)

This is the only one like this, I lube the chain every 250-300km and clean & lube every 4-500km and it's is the first time I've seen this.

How urgently do y'all think I gotta replace the chain if at all? And do the sprockets gotta be changed as well?

I'm supposed to go on a 200km trip tomorrow so does it seem like it's good to go or cancel trip and replace chain asap?

Pictures (after cleaning, pre lube)

http://imgur.com/gallery/S1urmA8
Based on a very informative video from Fortnine, kerosene may not be the best option for chain cleaning. Might be that the grease in the rollers got diluted by the kerosene seeping through the o-rings causing this issue, though I cannot confirm this. They also has a great video on chain lubes you may want to look up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on a very informative video from Fortnine, kerosene may not be the best option for chain cleaning. Might be that the grease in the rollers got diluted by the kerosene seeping through the o-rings causing this issue, though I cannot confirm this. They also has a great video on chain lubes you may want to look up.
Yeah I love fortnine but years and the number of people in kerosene support.. I'll still keep using kerosene, maybe just clean it less often

1 - 11 of 11 Posts