Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panel 3 left-hand side leading tab was broken and the next tab was flattened somehow. Think it happened when I was backed into. Anywho, the panel was flapping in the wind while riding, putting stress on all other tabs and panels in the process I would imagine. Picked up new panel today and performed the replacement. First time doing panels\fairings so it was deffo a learning experience. Found an interesting bit of dried 'liquid' on the engine case when I pulled the panel. Coolant maybe? Have seen nothing on the ground after riding and it has not gotten past normal operating temp.

Also, ended up with an extra bolt 馃槀 :ROFLMAO:馃
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Plank

Broken tabs
Bumper Automotive exterior Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Auto part

Residue on case and line
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

My two Rs to finish it off...
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Super Moderator
That tab on the panel is REALLY weak. I broke mine by simply removing the panel. I just glued the tab back on with some "Gorilla Glue", and haven't had a problem since. Based only on the one picture, it appears maybe your radiator hose is/was leaking were it meets the engine. You should check the coolant level in the radiator. Also, that extra bolt goes in the "top" of the side panel (underneath the top left trim piece, next to the fuel tank), there's a threaded tab that comes sideways off the frame. Good luck-

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That tab on the panel is REALLY weak. I broke mine by simply removing the panel. I just glued the tab back on with some "Gorilla Glue", and haven't had a problem since. Based only on the one picture, it appears maybe your radiator hose is/was leaking were it meets the engine. You should check the coolant level in the radiator. Also, that extra bolt goes in the "top" of the side panel (underneath the top left trim piece, next to the fuel tank), there's a threaded tab that comes sideways off the frame. Good luck-
Thanks Cornerslider. Went out during half-time break and pulled the fairing off. Sure enough, right where you said and the panel is now nice and snug. But, how does one keep from pushing the pins through the push fasteners? I had to go digging these out of the cowling both times lol.

Super Moderator
Thanks Cornerslider. Went out during half-time break and pulled the fairing off. Sure enough, right where you said and the panel is now nice and snug. But, how does one keep from pushing the pins through the push fasteners? I had to go digging these out of the cowling both times lol.
I use a VERY small straight blade screwdriver to push them through.... The R3 is "price-point" bike that makes HUGE profits for Yamaha. I've developed a love/hate relationship with the push pin fasteners. Once you learn how to manipulate them, they actually work pretty well. Did you happen to check your coolant level in the radiator? I've seriously never seen what you posted in pic #2??? To me that looked like battery acid hit the hoses. Since the battery is behind that area (and downstream of airflow when the bike is being ridden), I find that unlikely. Please keep us posted on what you find :cool:(y)-

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a VERY small straight blade screwdriver to push them through.... The R3 is "price-point" bike that makes HUGE profits for Yamaha. I've developed a love/hate relationship with the push pin fasteners. Once you learn how to manipulate them, they actually work pretty well. Did you happen to check your coolant level in the radiator? I've seriously never seen what you posted in pic #2??? To me that looked like battery acid hit the hoses. Since the battery is behind that area (and downstream of airflow when the bike is being ridden), I find that unlikely. Please keep us posted on what you find :cool:(y)-
I used a shorter screwdriver this time, only pushed 1 all the way through. Reservoir was nearly empty when I checked it late yesterday. Filled the reservoir when I got home. Let the bike run until the fans came on. No seepage or leaks. Took it for an hour ride. Again, no seepage or leaks, Will keep an eye on it. My motorcycle nut of a brother said the same thing regarding the residue. Said to check my battery. Clean as a whistle. Will keep y'all posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
* UPDATE*
Great day for a ride so off I went. On my way back, OIL light started flashing. Found it quite odd and seeing as all of the near-by cycle shops were either closed or closing I babied it home. Got home, up on the stands and this is what I see Level looks perfect. Sorry about the dust.
EDIT Gahh! What a goofball. Had no clue there was an oil change indicator lol. Reset so all should be good there.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Buuuut...I go check the other side and I am greeted by this scene. SMDH. What da hecks!?!?! Yes, that is coolant residue and a good amount to leave that mess.. Never got past mid-point while riding or stopped at lights. Grrrr :mad: :mad:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hood

Super Moderator
EDIT Gahh! What a goofball. Had no clue there was an oil change indicator lol. Reset so all should be good there
You get today's smiley-faced sticker. You've earned it!!
Those pesky 'oil change indicators' have a way of hiding amongst the rest of the helpful information inside those, normally untouched, Owners Manuals. :LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, finally had time to take the faring off to see what was going on in there. Coolant line where it meets the case has a pinhole leak. Replacing that along with buying the correct factory clamp. I dislike worm clamps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got some pics of the offending line. I do not think there should be any residue where the line connects to the radiator. Leak is coming from the worm-clamp area. Loathing the idea of getting the case all gunked up with coolant. Best method to drain without making a mess? Two pairs of hands, a small bucket and rags to cover the case and ground?
Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Steering wheel Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exhaust Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts