Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ive been looking at replacing the master cylinder on the bike. Just wondering if anyone can help, I'm relitively new to motorbikes and I have no idea what measurement to get, which would fit!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Most sport bikes' bar sizes are standard 7/8" (22mm+/-), so there are a lot of options. I would offer that the front brake is a critical safety item, so you may not want to go with the el-cheapo option. Also, MC should be compatible with single rotor set-up. Some have a larger diameter piston to accommodate dual rotor systems - what this means is that the MC pumps roughly double the volume with the same lever travel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most sport bikes' bar sizes are standard 7/8" (22mm+/-), so there are a lot of options. I would offer that the front brake is a critical safety item, so you may not want to go with the el-cheapo option. Also, MC should be compatible with single rotor set-up. Some have a larger diameter piston to accommodate dual rotor systems - what this means is that the MC pumps roughly double the volume with the same lever travel.

thanks for that! Will look on some of the major parts dealers in the UK and have a look around!

·
Registered
230 Posts
You'll want no bigger than a 16mm piston size. 14mm is better. The caliper is only a 2-pot slider which is pretty basic. Braking RS-B1 or MC6601 or MR1601 could work, MotoMaster, Magura 195 series (0120791) make nice replacements you can find in the various distributor catalogs. Shindy products (aka Nissin) has a 14mm configuration (model 17-652), too. If you're going to spend the $200+ on a new MC you might want to look at finding a nice 4-pot caliper to retrofit. Then you can run a 16mm piston no problem. Measure the bolt distance and maybe you'll get lucky. Or have someone make you an adapter plate.

Personally I would focus my energy on pad selection and possible aftermarket rotor options. I commend your enthusiasm and all, but as a 'relatively new' rider, you might want to focus on more important tweaks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It'll fit your bars, sure, but these Chinese outfits some of them produce decent stuff, some complete crap and you have no way of knowing. Malfunctioning brakes is not a good thing. There are plenty of stories of people who locked up the front wheel with attendant disaster because a bushing wasn't fully drilled, or the check-valve had a burr on it, or the diaphragm ruptured... I've watched it happen. Not healthy for bike or rider.

Cut corners on your exhaust, who cares if it falls off, but don't buy cut-rate brake components. OEM levers are generally pretty cheap (unless KTM) and $15-20 to replace broken ones it just comes with the territory. Dont' like it, quit dropping your bike. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts