Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone know if Arai still offers a helmet inspection service? I fell with my helmet and got a thump on the back on some soft dirt/grass and I wanted to see if there was a way to check if the foam inside was fine. Ya some people say replace it anything happens to it and we all know the "how much do you value your head" saying.

Just curious if I can save $700. Will replace if I gotta as I am sure many of you have paid the price of the years. Cheers

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you actually crashed in it, as it sounds in your other post, then I would replace it. The whole point is for the foam to absorb the impact in a crash. If it just fell from your seat or a table, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's even mentioned in this video

https://youtu.be/Ovd3KGu6BgU

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you actually crashed in it, as it sounds in your other post, then I would replace it. The whole point is for the foam to absorb the impact in a crash. If it just fell from your seat or a table, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's even mentioned in this video

https://youtu.be/Ovd3KGu6BgU

Sounds good Kojiiro, just wanted to see how the damaged looked inside. I got my answer. Bummer i'll grab a new one, i'll just skip lunch and shopping for a few weeks. Safety > being a cheapo

Hit the back, but I saw these cracks in the foam on the sides. Wonder if anyone else still has their old crashed helmets

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've kept mine. Once when I was in an accident the insurance company took it. Another accident and they let me keep it. Just something to show folks that a helmet, if properly worn, can just save your head from getting smashed, crushed, rashed up or whatever.

As far as the money goes, 700 is a good price to pay for a new head and all the programming you would need to have it perform the same as the old head. Oh wait, we don't have that tech yet. Most of my helmets have only cost ~$200.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have an 8-year old Arai that I've used for about 5-6 years. I even crashed in it twice, but the 2nd time I don't think it impacted the ground. The first time it did, but it was on dirt. I chose to continue to wear it.

By the looks of it, the cracks you're seeing are not from your impact, but from typical use. They would likely be a lot larger if they were from the impact.

If that was my helmet, based on what you described here, I would continue to use it...but to each their own. If you want real peace of mind, replace it.

Reactions: Nubster

·
Registered
255 Posts
I sent a Shoei to be inspected after a "soft" impact on dirt; there was no sign of the impact on the outside of the helmet. They sent it back with a nice letter saying the foam is designed to take one impact only, and they did not recommend I reuse the helmet. I'm sure Arai would tell you the same thing if you sent it for inspection.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide if you trust it to protect your head again.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I sent a Shoei to be inspected after a "soft" impact on dirt; there was no sign of the impact on the outside of the helmet. They sent it back with a nice letter saying the foam is designed to take one impact only, and they did not recommend I reuse the helmet. I'm sure Arai would tell you the same thing if you sent it for inspection.

I'd be curious to know exactly what they did though, mostly if they even actually looked at the foam inside. I would not be surprised at all if that's a pretty standardized letter they give to everyone once they know that it had been impacted, even if the impact level is very low and no damage is visible on the outside. It's very likely they give that letter for liability reasons so that when you keep your helmet, crash again with it on and suffer severe head injuries and your family sues them, they can show a copy of the letter and say "Hey, we told her we don't recommend using it anymore...here's the proof".

Unfortunately we live in world where everyone will sue anyone for anything, engineers and technicians are scared of lawyers, and nobody wants to take responsibility so you do everything you can do protect yourself. At the place I work, we make composite pressure tanks for the auto industry. If one drops even a few inches on the ground during production, it's discarded. If a customer drops one same way, we tell them to return it because we won't guarantee its safety anymore. However, we've tested the **** out of them and we know they're perfectly fine to use. We go WAAAY beyond that in testing and they still perform fine.

This is no different. I would bet my newly built R3 that if they took your helmet and put it through the same impact tests they do on helmets and compare results to a brand new helmet, there would be negligible difference (aka within the noise of the variation).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd be curious to know exactly what they did though, mostly if they even actually looked at the foam inside. I would not be surprised at all if that's a pretty standardized letter they give to everyone once they know that it had been impacted, even if the impact level is very low and no damage is visible on the outside. It's very likely they give that letter for liability reasons so that when you keep your helmet, crash again with it on and suffer severe head injuries and your family sues them, they can show a copy of the letter and say "Hey, we told her we don't recommend using it anymore...here's the proof"...
Honestly, those were my exact thoughts when I got it back. I have no way of knowing what kind of inspection, if any, they actually did.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If it was mine, I would run it. But then again... I would never pay $700 for a helmet in the first place.
Cuz.... i'm a cheapo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it was mine, I would run it. But then again... I would never pay $700 for a helmet in the first place.
Cuz.... i'm a cheapo.
Lmao CBR I doubt you are. I only said that about using old damaged helmets over and over again.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Honestly, I have helmets that are 20 years old sitting on my shelf next to helmets that are 2 years old.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Of course they would say that! They want your $$$$

·
Registered
228 Posts
Of course they would say that! They want your $$$$
But then again it's your word against theirs. Lock up your bike and helmet throw away the keys, in the long run you'll save even more $$$$. All I say it's your bike your life, do whatever you want but ride safe. Peace out guys.

Just want to add, for the guy who sent in his helmet to be tested. If they've sent it back to you and state it needs replacing, you don't have to buy the same brand if it's too expensive, buy cheaper alternative new helmet from a different manufacturer then at least you have a piece of mind that it is new and not been damaged. Don't always have to look like Rossi, Lorenzo or Marquez, you're just protecting your head. Buy what you can afford.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts