Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a set of Vortex 2.0 levers for my 2017 R3. After watching a few videos on the install, I noticed this crack. What do you think? Do I need a new master cylinder?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
The brake works totally fine. I haven't noticed it this whole year. I guess I'll find out how bad it is when I take the OEM levers off.
Yeah, you'll find out then for sure. I thought the housing that's cracked may be a separate part you could buy, and rebuild around it, but if I'm seeing it correctly, it appears not. I have a link to a schematic for the master cylinder, The good news is, with a 2017 being 4 years old now, per your Owners Manual, it's time to rebuild the master cylinder anyway. So replacing the whole unit's not a completer waste. Especially given the odds of a pitted bore in the existing cylinder, you may be as well off with a new unit. Let us know what you decide.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Yeah, you'll find out then for sure. I thought the housing that's cracked may be a separate part you could buy, and rebuild around it, but if I'm seeing it correctly, it appears not. I have a link to a schematic for the master cylinder, The good news is, with a 2017 being 4 years old now, per your Owners Manual, it's time to rebuild the master cylinder anyway. So replacing the whole unit's not a completer waste. Especially given the odds of a pitted bore in the existing cylinder, you may be as well off with a new unit. Let us know what you decide.
I didn't realize you have to rebuild your master cylinder after 4 years. Is there anything else you have to do after that long? My bike is 5 years old - but super low miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I didn't realize you have to rebuild your master cylinder after 4 years. Is there anything else you have to do after that long? My bike is 5 years old - but super low miles.
I was mistaken.. my bad. The R3s owners manual recommends replacement of brake fluids every 2 years, and brake hoses at 4 years. I have a 2015, and I put on SS brake lines with my 2 year brake flush. At 4 years, I decided to rebuilt my front and rear cylinders along with the fluid flush... because the rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive... and I figured it a good time while I had to bleed the system anyway. NOT recommended by Yamaha.. I was wrong there.
Yamaha guidelines in the Owners Manual: Coolant Flush at 3 years, and brake fluids every 2 years pretty well covers the fluids except for oil/filter changes.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
The brake works totally fine. I haven't noticed it this whole year. I guess I'll find out how bad it is when I take the OEM levers off.
I was mistaken when I said the brake master cylinders needed to be rebuilt... See my post above. Sorry if I've caused problems.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was mistaken when I said the brake master cylinders needed to be rebuilt... See my post above. Sorry if I've caused problems.
No probs at all. Mistakes are what make us human. You just did me a huge solid by making my realize Ravens service schedule is further behind then I thought. Btw im the problem causer on here. Not you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate you taking the time to not only reply but with more information. I have the owners manual.

The bike had it's coolant flushed when I bought it as it had a recall on a coolant hose. I will probably be putting the new levers on today or tomorrow. Since the season here is about done, I'll probably replace the front brake res along with brake lines this winter.

Thanks for the help y'all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to not only reply but with more information. I have the owners manual.

The bike had it's coolant flushed when I bought it as it had a recall on a coolant hose. I will probably be putting the new levers on today or tomorrow. Since the season here is about done, I'll probably replace the front brake res along with brake lines this winter.

Thanks for the help y'all.
Keep me updated. I guess ill be attempting the same operations.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
I was mistaken.. my bad. The R3s owners manual recommends replacement of brake fluids every 2 years, and brake hoses at 4 years. I have a 2015, and I put on SS brake lines with my 2 year brake flush. At 4 years, I decided to rebuilt my front and rear cylinders along with the fluid flush... because the rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive... and I figured it a good time while I had to bleed the system anyway. NOT recommended by Yamaha.. I was wrong there.
Yamaha guidelines in the Owners Manual: Coolant Flush at 3 years, and brake fluids every 2 years pretty well covers the fluids except for oil/filter changes.
Hey man, all good! Where did you buy the rebuild kit? My bike does have ss lines too - just put 'em on last year I think. And it's had the recall done so the coolant should be good.

But if the rebuild is cheap, maybe I will do that too. Did you do the work yourself?

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
1) My 2015 R3 is non-ABS. So I have no experience with an ABS system.
2) I'm an old codger with plenty of spare hours, so my time's not valuable
3) Both front and rear master cylinders require a pair or '"snap-ring" pliers to release a fastener to get to the kits. I had these pliers in my tool box. If you don't already, you'll need to remember that before you decide to do, or not, this chore.
I used Yamaha's rebuild kits from a vendor I've had good results from.
The rebuild for the front was straight forward. no problems.
Honestly, I would not do the rear cylinder if I had it to do over. It's not that difficult, but no more than I use the rear brake, it was probably unnecessary. I would flush the rear system's brake fluid and call it a good day.
I have a link below. you can take the OEM part numbers and compare any reputable vendor's cost and shipping.
Front master cylinder kit is part # 2 Rear brake cylinder kit is part# 2.

Yamaha OEM Motorcycle Parts | MotoSport

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1) My 2015 R3 is non-ABS. So I have no experience with an ABS system.
2) I'm an old codger with plenty of spare hours, so my time's not valuable
3) Both front and rear master cylinders require a pair or '"snap-ring" pliers to release a fastener to get to the kits. I had these pliers in my tool box. If you don't already, you'll need to remember that before you decide to do, or not, this chore.
I used Yamaha's rebuild kits from a vendor I've had good results from.
The rebuild for the front was straight forward. no problems.
Honestly, I would not do the rear cylinder if I had it to do over. It's not that difficult, but no more than I use the rear brake, it was probably unnecessary. I would flush the rear system's brake fluid and call it a good day.
I have a link below. you can take the OEM part numbers and compare any reputable vendor's cost and shipping.
Front master cylinder kit is part # 2 Rear brake cylinder kit is part# 2.

So if I want to rebuild the front master cylinder, what do I buy on that first link? Do I need all the master assembly parts as well or can I take my oem one apart for parts? Should I replace the front lines as well? If so, I'm thinking of buying spiegler brake lines since oem lines aren't much cheaper.

Seriously appreciate the help. Being new to motorcycling, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I got a few quotes from dealers around me for a few things and was honestly astonished how much they wanted for such simple jobs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So if I want to rebuild the front master cylinder, what do I buy on that first link? Do I need all the master assembly parts as well or can I take my oem one apart for parts? Should I replace the front lines as well? If so, I'm thinking of buying spiegler brake lines since oem lines aren't much cheaper.

Seriously appreciate the help. Being new to motorcycling, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I got a few quotes from dealers around me for a few things and was honestly astonished how much they wanted for such simple jobs.
I dont want to say dealers, and mechanics are crooks, but..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rebuilding the internals of the master cylinder, will not fix a crack on the outside casing of the master cylinder... If you don't want tp replace with "new", I'm nearly certain eBay has many options-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rebuilding the internals of the master cylinder, will not fix a crack on the outside casing of the master cylinder... If you don't want tp replace with "new", I'm nearly certain eBay has many options-
I'm talking about buying a new OEM master cylinder housing, and using the internals of my current one, that's fine but the housing is cracked. I will definitely look on ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont want to say dealers, and mechanics are crooks, but..
I believe this is a pretty simple job. Like I said in a previous post, dealers around me wanted 2.5 hours labor to change the oil filter. That's a 20 minute job that I've done multiple times. If I ask for a quote on replacing the front master cylinder I'm sure the non crooks would want a percent of the motorcycle to fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts