Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bit of dilemma of which bike to get next; in the uk we have ridiculous bike license rules... so my question..

Will a restricted 600cc 47bhp be quicker than a yamaha r3?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi bud.

In my experience, an R3 would be quicker than a restricted 600, due to the extra weight of the 600.

Your mileage may vary, of course, plus ER6s and SV650s etc have the benefit of that lovely twin low-down torque.

I've just moved to an R3 from an 1100 and before that, a 1300, and tbh I'm not even slightly worried about the drop in power.

For what it is, it flies :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Depends on what you are going to use it for.

Do you eventually plan on moving up in power to a 600 or are you buying the R3 because you want the R3 and all it offers?

If you love the R3 for what it is and does then buy it. If you plan on moving to a 600 then you might as well save the money in the long run and buy it now then remove the restrictions as your licensing allows.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The R3 will be a lot more comfortable since you are not bent over so far. You won't have to ride through town with your elbow on the tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In a bit of dilemma of which bike to get next; in the uk we have ridiculous bike license rules... so my question..

Will a restricted 600cc 47bhp be quicker than a yamaha r3?
I would think the r3 would be quicker and more nimble in twisties. About the same on highway based on Hp / pound ratio. And, I would add the R3 can do anything a bike should do. I am coming off an 1100cc, and not regretting it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the R3 has 41 engine or gross horsepower and weighs 368 pounds that =8.975 pounds per 1 horsepower
i will use the cbr500 as an example because here in america we don't have restrictions on 600's, it has 47 engine or gross horsepower and weighs 425 pounds that = 9.04 pounds per horsepower

the R3 will be quicker if the 600's in UK are similar in weight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yo Scott! Where are you going to ride in the UK? I am just starting here, used to ride abroad and not familiar with good roads/bends.

How well do you know Surrey?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts