Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen so many people, reving there engines all the way to the rev limiter, and i am wondering how bad is that. I read up so much different answers like its fine if the bike is warm with no load, some says it damages your engine, or the rev limiter prevents it from doing any damage. so i am wondering with the clutch in or in neutral, how much damage would it do, or won't

·
Registered
42 Posts
It won't really do anything, but if you do it a lot on a hot day, it may increase your temps.

And it will also make you look like a complete a$$hole

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
A bike like the R3 is designed to live at the rev limiter. <= while in motion ... don't sit in the parking lot bouncing off the limiter

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I ride ACH on the weekends, I'm basically sitting between 10k and redline the entire time. The bike does fine. About the worst thing to come out of it is that you get a lot of vibration in the bars that high up the RPM range. I'm adding some R&G Racing bar end sliders to add some weight and hopefully tame the vibrations a little tomorrow before my ride Saturday morning.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter isnt that bad, the engine wont explode since the rev limiter is there to keep the revs within a safe threshold. Just dont keep it bashing on the limiter for too long and youll be fine, just dont be like those retards that keep it pinned while their exhaust glows red hot. Thats just stupid. Just use common sense, you dont need to hit the limiter often if much at all on street riding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As others have said, it's not bad for the bike, although I'm not sure when you commonly find yourself hitting the rev limiter. Operating near the rev limiter and actually hitting the rev limiter so that fuel delivery is cut off are two different things. There's no benefit to actually hitting the rev limiter...unless you're in a tunnel :D

When I ride ACH on the weekends, I'm basically sitting between 10k and redline the entire time. The bike does fine. About the worst thing to come out of it is that you get a lot of vibration in the bars that high up the RPM range. I'm adding some R&G Racing bar end sliders to add some weight and hopefully tame the vibrations a little tomorrow before my ride Saturday morning.
I have said bar-end sliders and cannot confirm they tame vibrations; I've forgotten already how the stock ones felt, but I still get a good amount of vibration at high RPMs with these bar-end sliders.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have said bar-end sliders and cannot confirm they tame vibrations; I've forgotten already how the stock ones felt, but I still get a good amount of vibration at high RPMs with these bar-end sliders.
Well thats disappointing as I sit here staring at them. Oh well, I guess i'll just consider them another safety mod then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you dont need to hit the limiter often if much at all on street riding.
That's the fun of the R3. You can wind it up and not be doing ludicrous speeds. I hit the limit quite a bit. Like, every on ramp >:D

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
That's the whole point of a small-engined "sports" bike ... work that engine without insane speeds, that's the fun! [Voice=YamaNoob] Rev limiter alllll dayyy bro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts