Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it rained here in Phoenix, Arizona and I had to ride to class. A few observations:

1) Got to campus and noticed a burning oil/hair? smell as I got off bike and again after coming home. I'm guessing it's from the oil mixed water on the streets splashing up on the exhaust/motor? Went back to campus for computer lab and roads were now dry, no smell. Am I correct at the cause?

2) Here in the dry arid Sonora desert the amount of oil on the roads you never notice until it rains, then it's like a BP oil spill at every light!

3) Seems like the tire grooves worn into the blacktop are more pronounced in the rain, or maybe I'm noticing them more out of caution in the rain.

4) Those gas station concrete areas are slicker than "whale **** in an ice flow" as my Dad used to say.

5) The number of drivers who do not adjust for the rain amazes me, how you guys in the NorthWest or tropical climates deal with regular rain days is to be commended.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Probably water in the muffler. In most (if not all - but I am no expert), there are these fiber packings inside the muffler. When they get wet....or even really hot, they smell exactly as you said, burnt hair. When i'm done canyon carving I smell it even while at speed. I used to think it was my shoes melting to the pipe LOL, but soon isolated the smell down to the packing on the inside. I have a new pipe on mine, same thing - actually, worse that the stock.

I'm in LA and will tell you. because it doesn't rain much, in either of our area's, riding out there is super slick. I don't even do it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Holy crap it rains in Arizona?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts