Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Riding pants

12K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  AesonVirus 
I used to race bicycles, and it's funny: the guys and gals I raced with almost all have motorcycles and they are ATGATT, carefully riding their BMW boxer twins like old ladies. Racing bicycles you crash a LOT and since you're only wearing Lycra™ you lose a lotta skin and break a lot of bones.

So when I got the R3 after a layoff from gas-burners, I got all Dainese leather (used eBay or Craigslist) cos' their stuff generally fits like it was tailored for me. Gloves, boots with ankle protection, jacket with back protector, and pants I can zip to the jacket.

The pants though - made for knee pucks - are really too much for riding to the mall (in terms of style and to a lesser degree comfort) so I ordered a used pair of Triumph H2 Sport leather britches that have knee armor but are a "touring" cut. I feel safe in the full Dainese rig but look like a dadgum Power Ranger.

And yeah, I ride like an old lady on the R3. Two (at least) concussions, fractured skull, broken elbow, broken hand, toe and finger, several cracked ribs, two separated shoulders and blood loss from road rash pretty much everywhere but the family jewels are the accumulated toll from 20 years of racing. I think I'll take it a little easier now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.