Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Riding pants

12K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  AesonVirus 
#1 ·
Currently I'm pretty much equipped except the pants. I'm planning on having a pair of motorcycle jeans to protect me a little more than regular jeans when commuting to work or when going out to places where walking around with thick pants and sliders would look silly and a pair of leathers for longer riding, spirited riding and maybe some track days when I feel up to it (really want to try those).

So what do you guys ride in? Leathers all the time and then take off at the office or just regular jeans?

#2 · (Edited)
I wear these under my jeans. They are Kevlar liners made out of the same material as the butt and knees of their jeans. They wont do much for impact but will keep the rash from getting to the skin. My wife and I drove to their store in Hickory NC and all of their jeans fit like farmer pants (Loose and Square). This way, I can have the abrasion protection without the awful look.

#3 · (Edited)
I really don't ride that much street these days - too dangerous!! When I do, I usually wear gloves, brain bucket, jacket and boots - and admit I don't always wear leather britches (carhartts or heavy denim as a minimum, though) - if I'm hitting the canyons, then full leathers. Most track-day orgs require full one-piece leathers or two-piece zip together type, so if you're looking at pants you may want to go with whatever brand your jacket is (provided it has a zipper to attach the pants). I had a set of used two-piece Joe Rocket leathers for the first couple of seasons at the track - they worked out fine. Race leathers are intended to be on the tight side, so it may be better to just bring work clothes in a backpack and change when you get to the office.
Kirk's suggestion looks like a good solution (haven't seen these before).

#5 · (Edited)
I wear regular jeans when I ride, but am currently on the market for something more appropriate and abrasion resistant. Turns out my regular jeans aren't very protective when you drag your knee at 70mph against the concrete side wall of a bridge overpass.
That was Friday, July 3rd. Been riding 22 yrs, and STILL learning lessons. Din't go down, but D@MN that hurt!! And those jeans were only 2 weeks old!

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Ouch!

I think I read somewhere that, in a slide on smooth pavement, regular jeans last 4-5 seconds max before they shred right through to bare skin.

Concrete walls can be a lot rougher than smooth pavement.

Did you take any heat over this at your practice and/or hospital? I used to ride with 3 E.R. Doctors and any time they had any motorcycle-related incident, however minor, the other doctors and nurses wouldn't let up on them for weeks about the dangers....

#8 · (Edited)
For "commuting to work or when going out to places where walking around with thick pants and sliders would look silly" I have the Dainese New Drake Air. For "longer riding, spirited riding" I have the Dainese Alien. Both are very comfortable and can sometimes be found on sale for deep discount, especially from European vendors. I understand that jackets look cooler than pants, so most new riders only purchase a jacket, but the first body part to hit the ground in a fall or to be hit by a car (or a wall, in t-rav_12's case), is very often a lower extremity.

I wear regular jeans when I ride, but am currently on the market for something more appropriate and abrasion resistant. Turns out my regular jeans aren't very protective when you drag your knee at 70mph against the concrete side wall of a bridge overpass.
That was Friday, July 3rd. Been riding 22 yrs, and STILL learning lessons. Din't go down, but D@MN that hurt!! And those jeans were only 2 weeks old!
That looks f'n painful. Somebody shoulda known better, tsk, tsk.

I have a friend who has been riding for several years and started wearing no gear, except helmet, because he thought it was too expensive to buy gear. He would make fun of "posers" wearing gear.

Then he had a mishap and hurt his hand. Only then he bothered to buy gloves. Then he had another mishap and broke his ankle, and then he decided ankle high boots would be a good idea. Another small scrape later, he purchased a jacket.

He is now only one pair of riding pants away from being ATGATT. I'm waiting for the next mishap.

#14 ·
For "commuting to work or when going out to places where walking around with thick pants and sliders would look silly" I have the Dainese New Drake Air. For "longer riding, spirited riding" I have the Dainese Alien. Both are very comfortable and can sometimes be found on sale for deep discount, especially from European vendors. I understand that jackets look cooler than pants, so most new riders only purchase a jacket, but the first body part to hit the ground in a fall or to be hit by a car (or a wall, in t-rav_12's case), is very often a lower extremity.

That looks f'n painful. Somebody shoulda known better, tsk, tsk.

I have a friend who has been riding for several years and started wearing no gear, except helmet, because he thought it was too expensive to buy gear. He would make fun of "posers" wearing gear.

Then he had a mishap and hurt his hand. Only then he bothered to buy gloves. Then he had another mishap and broke his ankle, and then he decided ankle high boots would be a good idea. Another small scrape later, he purchased a jacket.

He is now only one pair of riding pants away from being ATGATT. I'm waiting for the next mishap.
These look awesome, I think I will pick up a pair. :)

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, yeah... I've caught my share of flack for this. Pants and proper shoes are something I've never bothered to get over the years. I currently own 4 bikes, more than 7 jackets, 7 helmets, 3 pair of gloves, 2 full 1 pc. race suits, 2 pair of race boots..., but no lower body protection for the street. I AM currently on the market for pants and shoes now though.
...And maybe a parachute. By all rights, I shoulda gone over the wall (@ a 45'-50' drop) to the highway below. I thank God for looking out for his stupid children.
Din't scratch any paint on the bike. Just ground the foot peg end to @ 45* and very lightly scuffed the handlebar end, front turn signal and muffler.

D@mmit, those were new jeans too!

#10 ·
Ouch t-rav... that looks painful. At least you didn't fall off the bike, it could have been much worst.

Trying to find something that will at least protect my skin. Love Capt Kirks liner idea! Will definitely be looking into that as then I would be able to wear regular jeans knowing my ass still has some kind of abrasion protection.

As for leather pants, my jacket has a zipper system, will be picking up pants to match later on. Prefer covering up my everyday riding first. With the traffic and idiot drivers out there it makes a lower speed spill more likely.

#12 · (Edited)
Well, I bit the bullet today. Found a local guy on craigslist selling some brand new (worn twice, but I can't tell) Moto GP brand black leather pants with knee pucks. They're the racing pants that zip to a mating jacket (which I don't have). The fit is perfect and $100 was a smokin deal. I also placed an order for some Speed and Strength textile pants with hip and knee "armor". If they fit right, I'll order another pair of the textiles.

#13 · (Edited)
Scorpion Leather Pants & Jacket On Sale for 72 hrs ONLY - $110/$270

SportBikeTrackGear.com is having a Flash sale on the Scorpion ExoWear SP2 leather pants, MSRP is $355.00 USD, their regular price was $339.00, on sale for $110.00 (that's about $100 better than anywhere else!). They're recommended for Street Riding or an occasional track day, not for racing. One piece is preferred for racing, with no fabric stretch panels.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/scorpion-exowear-sp2-leather-pants-black/

Video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOaRCS3U1A

View attachment 12522

They also have the Scorpion SJ2 leather jacket on sale for $269.00 USD. (MSRP is $445.00)

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/scorpion-exowear-sj2-leather-jacket/

Video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ube_wkAnwjE

View attachment 12530

And the Jorge Lorenzo HJC FG-17 replica helmet is just $99.95 (MSRP is $245.00)

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/hjc-fg-17-x-fuera-mc-1-helmet-closeout/

Video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEfzlfiNQqw

webbikeworld review http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/fg-17/review.htm

View attachment 12538

This sale ends Friday the 14th at Midnight. Limited quantities.....

#15 ·
lile 3th3r up there, I recently got a pair of the Dainese New Drake Air pants. The air vents (right above the knee armour) work well for the thigh (and up) but the areas where the armour covers (like the knee and shin) get very little air. However, I'm loving them and they work well in warm/hot weather (26-28 degrees Celsius here; that's 77-82 Fahrenheit for the rest of you). I have yet to try them in the fall during cooler weather; I would imagine they would be perfect with the vents closed.

#16 ·
I used to race bicycles, and it's funny: the guys and gals I raced with almost all have motorcycles and they are ATGATT, carefully riding their BMW boxer twins like old ladies. Racing bicycles you crash a LOT and since you're only wearing Lycra™ you lose a lotta skin and break a lot of bones.

So when I got the R3 after a layoff from gas-burners, I got all Dainese leather (used eBay or Craigslist) cos' their stuff generally fits like it was tailored for me. Gloves, boots with ankle protection, jacket with back protector, and pants I can zip to the jacket.

The pants though - made for knee pucks - are really too much for riding to the mall (in terms of style and to a lesser degree comfort) so I ordered a used pair of Triumph H2 Sport leather britches that have knee armor but are a "touring" cut. I feel safe in the full Dainese rig but look like a dadgum Power Ranger.

And yeah, I ride like an old lady on the R3. Two (at least) concussions, fractured skull, broken elbow, broken hand, toe and finger, several cracked ribs, two separated shoulders and blood loss from road rash pretty much everywhere but the family jewels are the accumulated toll from 20 years of racing. I think I'll take it a little easier now!

#17 ·
I wear the dainese textile air pants when I ride into the office and similar street rides and have my work cloths in a backpack.

They are kind of tight for me behind the knees especially with the astars race boots tucked in....maybe dainese's way of trying to get me to buy a pair of those fancy in-boots they make.

Other than that they are perfect. But I always prefer wearing my astars one piece suit because it feels like Im wearing nothing at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRJ5IoKTmg

but then people stare at you.

#18 ·
I remember taking care of a guy in the trauma bay. He slid out at the track in full leathers. His jacket was still intact, but there was so much heat transferred through the jacket from all the sliding that he had 3rd degree burns across his back. Maybe a hard back protector would have prevented this.

Glad you made it out of your accident T-rav and lived to tell about it. Jeans are easily replaceable...

It's not an entirely safe activity, this sport of ours. Even with all the proper gear and caution, stuff happens.

#19 ·
I have a set of Bohn Armor under-armor. They fit very nice under my jeans and you cant even tell I'm wearing them. They provide nice protection and they are cool in the summer. I like them because when I ride I usually stop at a few places, like to eat or whatever. Makes it nice since they are somewhat invisible under your jeans.

#20 ·
I'm a street rider and don't hit the track [yet] so I don't have a lot of track gear or stuff for double duty (track & street). Oftentimes I might explicitly and exclusively go riding, however, there are times when you want the other double duty gear-riding stuff that is protective but allows you to walk into casual situations. I have a bad habit of wearing jeans (thinking it's smarter than the crazy NY flip-flop/shorts/t-shirt ninjas), but am making it a habit to get into riding with actual riding pants.

Let's face it, after we buy the bike, drop thousands in parts, and then several hundreds in a helmet, gloves, and jacket, spending even more loot on pants is the last thing on our minds unless you're just loaded, which I am not. Anyway, got my first pair and don't have anything to really compare it to. I got Icon Overlord Resistance pants and love them. They fit great, offer protection, and look cool. I thought about the denim offerings from A-Stars or Icon, but not sold on buying denim from them yet. Have to see them in person at a shop first. Anyway care to chime in about denim pants from a riding gear company?

Anyway, for a double duty set of pants, you cannot go wrong with the Icon's especially if you dig murdered out gear like me.

Icon Overlord Resistance pants

#21 ·
If you are dropping thousands in parts before hundreds in safety gear, then IMHO you are prioritizing the wrong things to buy, but I'm not one to tell another how to spend their cash. For me though what seems to work is rider protection>bike protection>bike parts.

I own some cheapo Bilt denim pants. The critical areas are reinforced and besides the knee pads, look like normal jeans. Been down on an older pair when I was in a hit and run and they held up fine. The knee pads really made a difference.

#22 ·
I'm only casual street rider, so I invested in Jeans rather than Leather.
Today I bought Resurgence Jeans, they feel solid and tough, but only time will tell.
I wanted to get Lean Angle Jeans, but with poor Canadian dollar they cost a lot, good pricing for you guys in US though, they're getting great reviews (join advrider for 10% off)

#23 ·
I've been riding with leather pants for past few months(except first month of owning the bike since August) and not looking back at all with alternative. I only ride on street as well(commute mainly)

Fell on asphalt and slide for 20feet+ and the pants just got scuffed up(intact and I'm still wearing them without seeing the need of changing it). The pants even have padding on my butt that I felt nothing and able to get up immediately. If I fell on the jeans it'll just go right through my skin. It saved my ass(literally). I have a thread to show some damages of the gear
If you're going to change after you get to your destination anyway, why bother the look and so dead set on having denim? I even eat out a couple times with riding pants on and didn't feel awkward about it

#31 ·
I'm currently looking for a pair of pants as well. After talking to someone who has had her fair share of scrapes, it scared me enough to go get full boots and armoured pants.

Thing is, I'm a bit of a stickler for the fashion side too and I'd like it to match the rest of my gear (Alpinestars jacket and gloves). Problem is that this stuff is soooo expensive, especially in Canada. I'm also nervous about ordering online without trying it on first because I want to make sure it fits.

Can anyone recommend a good few places to buy that are not outrageously pricey? Revzilla, motorcycle superstore, Riders Discount are a few places I've looked.

#32 ·
Can anyone recommend a good few places to buy that are not outrageously pricey? Revzilla, motorcycle superstore, Riders Discount are a few places I've looked.
Revzilla is great for a few reasons...
If you order something and it doesn't fit, they will allow you to ship it back for free and get the correct size you need.
If you find your item online elsewhere for a lower price, they will match the price
If you order something and find it lower afterwards, they will credit you with Zilla Bucks (their form of credit). I ordered a helmet for $319 and then found it two weeks later elsewhere for $198. they gave me credit which I used to get riding overpants for next to nothing.

I have heard (but not tried this myself) that if you call them, they will send you two different sizes and allow you to send back the size you didn't need. That's pretty cool

Now, being in the States, this is available to us. I'm not sure what they offer once you bring customers and whatnot into account but it's worth asking them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.