Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I hate stock position to seriously do tight turns fast I'm all crunched weird. My legs feels wrong. My arms feel awkward... I'm afraid I'm going to hate it if I change anything... I don't know which to change first... or should I do them at the same time? Brands? Anyone?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Give yamahar3racing.com blog posts a good read.

I'm using vortex clipons with woodcraft rearsets. Comfortable on the street, comfortable in the canyons. But sort of wishing I went with Sato rearsets for slightly more adjustability...

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you're experimenting, you might try relocating the stock clipons under the triple clamp (or turning them upside down, I think @Aufitt does this though I haven't asked for sure) and then picking up a rearset relocation bracket from yamahar3racing.com ( @jbluetooth iirc).

Not the very best way, but will def change the position. If you've never ridden that way before it will let you know how far you want to go down that path. If you have ridden more supersport like, then you can jump right in to something like the mentioned Vortex clipons, true adjustable rearsets, etc. Several good options available from the above site, as well as several posts outlining some of the differences in the options he's tested.

You can also check out some of the track build threads here on the forum. Some are certainly race centric, but may have other options to consider and will usually have a good bit of info on mounting.

Reactions: TwistedR3

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed relocation plates for the rear sets. There are 5 diff adjustments you can make, both back and up. Next mod will be Arrow header then it will be vortex clip ons. Then Mabee a set of Rosso 2's.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you're experimenting, you might try relocating the stock clipons under the triple clamp (or turning them upside down, I think @Aufitt does this though I haven't asked for sure) and then picking up a rearset relocation bracket from yamahar3racing.com ( @jbluetooth iirc).

Not the very best way, but will def change the position. If you've never ridden that way before it will let you know how far you want to go down that path. If you have ridden more supersport like, then you can jump right in to something like the mentioned Vortex clipons, true adjustable rearsets, etc. Several good options available from the above site, as well as several posts outlining some of the differences in the options he's tested.

You can also check out some of the track build threads here on the forum. Some are certainly race centric, but may have other options to consider and will usually have a good bit of info on mounting.

Don't do it, its unsafe, even 30mm protruding isn't enough.
Was done to satisfy 2015 race regs.
R3 came along and everyone mounts underneath and spacers 6mm (still have to index switchblock holes, move brake lines etc,
or Buy Vortex or Woodcraft from Jesse.

My footpeg plates are extreme,
100mm back 75mm up,
when I get a longer rear brake hose it can go 15/10mm more.
Tapped a ChroMo tube and added 125mm to the linkage and reversed the shift,

Jesses's plates are good, as he's done the homework.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
So I think I hate stock position to seriously do tight turns fast I'm all crunched weird. My legs feels wrong. My arms feel awkward... I'm afraid I'm going to hate it if I change anything... I don't know which to change first... or should I do them at the same time? Brands? Anyone?
Go ride an R6. Let me know if that "feels" better for ya!

·
Registered
856 Posts
When my R3 came in, they set up a demo soon as I arrived,
the first ones in Oz. mine had been on order for months so it didn't matter what it was like.

Sitting on it was a major let down, nowhere near as sporty as the cbr250, and like the Ninja, but worse as its longer, high bars like you're begging for food, and peg position like a cruiser, mixed with a low seat would make it awkward to get half decent BP.
They made a sportsbike then destroyed whats good..

Went 300m up the road 'Wow this engine is a gem' got to a corner.... nup this is wrong.... back to the shop to load mine up.
Later that weekend the bars were 55mm lower, and the pegs were up and back higher than any 600.
Felt better than any bike ive ridden even with the low seat.
got heaps of riding pics from all angles and it shows.

My race fairings have the infill piece moulded into them so can cut away to get the bars down maybe 80mm from std and not too much rearward rotation.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't do it, its unsafe, even 30mm protruding isn't enough.
Was done to satisfy 2015 race regs.
R3 came along and everyone mounts underneath and spacers 6mm (still have to index switchblock holes, move brake lines etc,
or Buy Vortex or Woodcraft from Jesse.

My footpeg plates are extreme,
100mm back 75mm up,
when I get a longer rear brake hose it can go 15/10mm more.
Tapped a ChroMo tube and added 125mm to the linkage and reversed the shift,

Jesses's plates are good, as he's done the homework.
Cool, thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been reading Jesse stuff for a while. I've read his blog... I was kind of looking for input haha ;) thanks guys

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does anyone finds the stock footpeg a bit aggressive? I mean it wears out the sole of the shoes quite fast. Checked my Chuck Taylor and saw the side like it was chewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been reading Jesse stuff for a while. I've read his blog... I was kind of looking for input haha ;) thanks guys
I figured you had based on other posts, but that's all I have to offer! I can't really thing of any other way to experiment though without sinking a lot of money into it.

Does anyone finds the stock footpeg a bit aggressive? I mean it wears out the sole of the shoes quite fast. Checked my Chuck Taylor and saw the side like it was chewed.
I've never worn anything but riding boots on my R3(or any other bike) so I haven't had that. Haven't worn Chucks in a good 2 decades either, but IIRC, they're a bit on the soft side anyway? I'd suggest a good riding boot instead of the shoe, but if you're going to stick with everyday footwear, maybe try a round footpeg. Might be available on their own, or something like a rubber top footpeg like the CBR300 has. I found those too squishy, but might work for your needs.

Reactions: RebelRayna

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Are you rubbing them on the ground? I'd also suggest not wearing suck a soft sole shoe that's probably your biggest problem. I have riding boots but they're high up to my knee an can be uncomfortable sometimes so I admit I wear a leather short boot it's hard bottom covered in rubber. Never have I had an issue with rubber wearing. Unless it was from melting. Another reason I stopped wearing the riding boots I'd either melt on my pipe or if my boot just so much rubbed a piece there would be brown it was driving me crazy! Plus I listened to reviews with said order half size up they were too big and of course I didn't admit it until I had worn them. I want this alpine stars short boots I think, but my bike needs more important things like first a PCV because my pipes are gold as fudge, then rearset risers and clipons because sport bike...

·
Registered
47 Posts

Funny you mention that. After a 130 mile ride yesterday I noticed a big gouge out the sole of one of my Alpinestars. But it could have been there a while before I noticed it and might have happened on one of my other bikes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny you mention that. After a 130 mile ride yesterday I noticed a big gouge out the sole of one of my Alpinestars. But it could have been there a while before I noticed it and might have happened on one of my other bikes.
How old are they? They're pretty good at dealing with things. I mean if used tot the right purpose haha. I hadn't issue with my boot and they sent me a new pair...

·
Registered
47 Posts
How old are they? They're pretty good at dealing with things. I mean if used tot the right purpose haha. I hadn't issue with my boot and they sent me a new pair...

Well they were three or four years old and the uppers were pretty well worn out with broken zipper pulls. I Just bought a new pair that are better. But after I looked at all my bikes, I think the woodcraft rearsets on the Duc are to blame. The pegs are like razor sharp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts