Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.. looking for anyone that wants to help me out once in Cali.. I am riding my R3 from Vancouver BC to as far as LA I think. in July. Anyone wanna show a fellow R3 rider a good time or great roads? Will take I5 from WA to Cali in 1 day.

Hoping someone can give me a few pointers on where to ride or great little roads. in any of the cities between crescent city to LA :D:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm shopping now for my first bike, just got off the phone actually, so I wouldn't be much help on where to ride in July time. However, it will be HOT here in southern Cali and could be in the 100's easily so plan accordingly for this.

There's a large riding community here in SoCal so I'd imagine that some of the forum members can chime in and get you steered in the right direction. There was forum post within a few weeks that had a group of R3 riders ride together so try to search this forum for that and get in touch with those guys.

But... unless you have a good reason to come all the way down to LA, I myself wouldn't make it that far since there is soooooooooooo much you will see/pass that's awesome that you shouldn't make it that far ;). San Francisco, Yosemite & Half Dome, Death Valley, Solvang, our loooong coast of continuous beaches, etc etc. Riding through all the treas in The Trinity National Forest in Northern Cal is nice (all the forestry from Canada down should be fantastic really). Riding to Kern River and do a half day of rafting (if there's enough water that is in July).

Whatever you decide it will be a trip you'll remember.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am two minutes off I-5. I live right where Spacepod makes his videos. I could take you on a loop of this area starting at Castaic Lake and finish up at Little Tujunga Canyon. That would be a nice start to your LA trip. I am beat up from a crash and good for one day :D

I have a spare room you can shack up in if you want a free room for a night once you hit Los Angeles County, save a few bucks. Safe garage parking.

Santa Clarita California. 91321.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am two minutes off I-5. I live right where Spacepod makes his videos. I could take you on a loop of this area starting at Castaic Lake and finish up at Little Tujunga Canyon. That would be a nice start to your LA trip. I am beat up from a crash and good for one day :D

I have a spare room you can shack up in if you want a free room for a night once you hit Los Angeles County, save a few bucks. Safe garage parking.

IT'S A TRAP!!
:D;):eek:

·
Registered
271 Posts

D*mn! I may head out from the midwest for that free room. If I overstay my welcome for a few months, please say something. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a lot are saying just do norcal.. I guess I will see when I get there. Thank you for the offer i most likely will PM you closer to the date I leave!

I will need new tires before this too so gotta grab some rosso or s20 before July.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Everyone.. looking for anyone that wants to help me out once in Cali.. I am riding my R3 from Vancouver BC to as far as LA I think. in July. Anyone wanna show a fellow R3 rider a good time or great roads? Will take I5 from WA to Cali in 1 day.

Hoping someone can give me a few pointers on where to ride or great little roads. in any of the cities between crescent city to LA :D:D
If you plan to be in Crescent City, take 101 down to Leggett and then head south on 1 on the PCH. Mendocino is a nice place to visit and a two-hour walk at the end of the peninsula is worth it.

Most of the E-W roads between 1 and 101 are great, but the road from Mendocino to Ukiah is incredible (most of it anyway). If you have the time, the PCH is astounding all the way down to Morro Bay (except for a few sticky spots getting by cities).

Big Sur is a good place to spend the day and the "Maiden Publick House" has some good microbrews.

Monterey and Point Lobos are worth some time too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you plan to be in Crescent City, take 101 down to Leggett and then head south on 1 on the PCH. Mendocino is a nice place to visit and a two-hour walk at the end of the peninsula is worth it.

Most of the E-W roads between 1 and 101 are great, but the road from Mendocino to Ukiah is incredible (most of it anyway). If you have the time, the PCH is astounding all the way down to Morro Bay (except for a few sticky spots getting by cities).

Big Sur is a good place to spend the day and the "Maiden Publick House" has some good microbrews.

Monterey and Point Lobos are worth some time too.

Like I said, if he asks ?'s like this when traveling down California he's never going make to Los Angeles lol. How can one close his eyes and not stop and see things along the way if there is no reason to be in LA to begin with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha the more places I go the less likely ill make it to LA.. which is fine. just rather meet up with locals then try and find my way in the maze of cali.

·
Registered
84 Posts
HWY 49 in NorCal is exceptional long and twisty. Ideal on a weekday. Same with 128 near Napa. Not a SoCal hater, but no need to go all the way there for good riding roads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you will miss out quite a bit for not going through highway 1 for the scenery. Many towns are heavy on bikers along #1 /coastline too rather than going through boring I-5. I've driven a few times back and forth SF/LA and absolutely not interested in doing that anytime soon. Yea it gets you there faster but it's just really really boring

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow - only trying to let other people know what goes on. The thread goes on for 15 pages, not something I can repeat, Larry Weltman.Thought some members might be interested.I'll delete it if it has caused offence.

Wrong thread?

Depending on your experience, the ortega highway would be fun. Its 27 miles of twisty turns. You can also check out malibu.

I use to live where bird is. If you go there, its a nice area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, name's Kevin and I live in North Van.

I was thinking about getting an R3 and wanted to hear your thoughts on how the bike has been doing in the city and highways.

If I do get one, I mainly plan on using it to commute to SFU and the occasional weekend trips up and around BC.

How are you liking your bike man? Looks wicked.

Anyways, cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts