Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what RPM should I be shifting at? I've seen a few videos of people shifting between 9000 - 12000 RPM, while in the other hand I'm shifting between 4500 - 6000 Rpms, am I doing something wrong?

My bike is at the 969 mile marker for the break in period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Depends on the ride ultimately.

If you are just riding around town, where you are shifting is fine.

If you are riding aggressively, either track or just for fun, you want to stay up in the top 1/4 of the revs, 9000+. This is where all the power is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on the ride ultimately.

If you are just riding around town, where you are shifting is fine.

If you are riding aggressively, either track or just for fun, you want to stay up in the top 1/4 of the revs, 9000+. This is where all the power is.

DEFINE riding aggressively ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is a minimum engine speed before it stalls, definitely less than 2000 rpm. So just figure 2000-2500rpm is your absolute minimum engine speed for shifting. And the maximum is redline.

The less rpm, the more fuel you save, the less power the bike has (the slower you move). So its completely up to you. You want to shift at 3k, that's fine, you will be riding slowly, a sunday rider but you are saving on fuel. You need the bike's full power to get you out of danger or just to accelerate fast for whatever reason (being aggressive), you shift at or close to redline. You will go faster, but you will use up more fuel. That's all you really need to know. When you want to shift is entirely up to you for whatever you need the bike to do it and how it does it.

·
Registered
113 Posts

If I'm on a 45mph street and I want to pass or something, I'll be up around 7k-10k (down shift to appropriate gear) I usually don't approach the redline unless I'm gooning or using some highway

**gooning being aggressive riding, track use, etc...)**

If I'm chillin, I'll be shifting around 4k-6k (as other people have stated). However, if you're abiding by your owner's manual, you shouldn't go past 8,400rpm prolonged use until you reach 1,000 miles :nerd: (you should squeeze that 30+ miles in so you can WOT that sucker ;) )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I'm on a 45mph street and I want to pass or something, I'll be up around 7k-10k (down shift to appropriate gear) I usually don't approach the redline unless I'm gooning or using some highway

**gooning being aggressive riding, track use, etc...)**

If I'm chillin, I'll be shifting around 4k-6k (as other people have stated). However, if you're abiding by your owner's manual, you shouldn't go past 8,400rpm prolonged use until you reach 1,000 miles :nerd: (you should squeeze that 30+ miles in so you can WOT that sucker ;) )

WOT?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your input and advice, really appreciate it, all this info has allowed me to really test shifting at different points to see how the bike reacts, and the outcome, Well guys, it indeed put an even bigger grin on my face for finding the where all that hidden power was and how to use its secrets for the greater good ( lane splitting on the jammed 405)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input and advice, really appreciate it, all this info has allowed me to really test shifting at different points to see how the bike reacts, and the outcome, Well guys, it indeed put an even bigger grin on my face for finding the where all that hidden power was and how to use its secrets for the greater good ( lane splitting on the jammed 405)

For lane splitting, I'm usually around 3rd going 30~MPH. But that's on 5 freeway, most of the drivers there are predictable. For 405, it can get a bit sketchy, and never trust that carpool lane.. just treat it as any other lane. Drivers will cross those double yellow lines with no hesitation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For lane splitting, I'm usually around 3rd going 30~MPH. But that's on 5 freeway, most of the drivers there are predictable. For 405, it can get a bit sketchy, and never trust that carpool lane.. just treat it as any other lane. Drivers will cross those double yellow lines with no hesitation.

@naripsta where do you live man? I'm going up to angeles crest Sunday, cruising , wanna join?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Lol you can say that again, I usually take the 5 to the 134 which that stretch even with traffic is quite fun,

We should to an ALL YZF-R3 ride to the beach or forest next week ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Peak torque is at about 9750 and peak horsepower is at about 10,500 (about). If you want to go fast, shift around then.
In addition, shifting above 11,500 doesnt really make sense, you are past the peak of the power band and stressing the engine. I am not expert though,so i could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,189 Posts

My definition of "Riding Aggressively" is interstate entrance ramp, truck coming faster than I thought, oh sh*t I'm running out or room, Got to go! Well, you get the idea. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
In addition, shifting above 11,500 doesnt really make sense, you are past the peak of the power band and stressing the engine. I am not expert though,so i could be wrong.

Well, if you shift at 12,000 RPM, you have more power in the next gear because 12,000 RPM gives you definitely still more power than at 9,000 RPM, even though this is past peak => still at about 39 HP vs. ca. 37 HP at 9,000 RPM. You will notice that especially in 3rd gear and a bit also 4th gear, if you shift at 12,000 vs. 11,500 RPM.
If you shift 3rd to 4th at 11,500 RPM you will end up at or slightly below 9,000 RPM in fourth (depends on how fast you are shifting), if you rev up to 12,000 RPM you come out at about 9,500 RPM and that us where the fun begins.

But ultimately - if you are not on a race track - you will want to save fuel and tyre and clutch wear and the earlier you shift, the more conservative you will use the above. Acceleration is sometimes essential (for example if you want to pass several cars at once in dense traffic) but mostly it's about fun and once you get used to it, it wears out... - at least in normal traffic (not talking about track riding here).

One thing you should be more cautious about is when shifting down! Remember, the R3 doesn't have a slipper clutch and if you shift down at too high speeds, the rear wheel can become quite nasty even with a small R3!

·
Registered
77 Posts

Well, if you shift at 12,000 RPM, you have more power in the next gear because 12,000 RPM gives you definitely still more power than at 9,000 RPM, even though this is past peak => still at about 39 HP vs. ca. 37 HP at 9,000 RPM. You will notice that especially in 3rd gear and a bit also 4th gear, if you shift at 12,000 vs. 11,500 RPM.
If you shift 3rd to 4th at 11,500 RPM you will end up at or slightly below 9,000 RPM in fourth (depends on how fast you are shifting), if you rev up to 12,000 RPM you come out at about 9,500 RPM and that us where the fun begins.

But ultimately - if you are not on a race track - you will want to save fuel and tyre and clutch wear and the earlier you shift, the more conservative you will use the above. Acceleration is sometimes essential (for example if you want to pass several cars at once in dense traffic) but mostly it's about fun and once you get used to it, it wears out... - at least in normal traffic (not talking about track riding here).

One thing you should be more cautious about is when shifting down! Remember, the R3 doesn't have a slipper clutch and if you shift down at too high speeds, the rear wheel can become quite nasty even with a small R3!
Yeah, i wasnt sure about the optimal shifti ng and such. I figured higher rpm would translate to higher rpm in the next gear, but wasnt so sure how much of a difference it would make. I still think even for aggressive riding i would stick to shifting a bit earlier, below 12,000, because that should stress the engine less, and the change in acceleration will feel great as you start to climb the power curves of the bike. But at least now i know when optimal shifting should occur.

In regards to shifting down, i made that mistake once, scared the living **** out of me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts