Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of searching(since the winter) I've been looking at some gloves for replacement(last pair of A* SP-2 got destroyed during fell last year)

Intended for commuting on freeway @~50-85 degrees(some mountain pass for commute). I know they are both track oriented but I have no plan on racing/track at all. But rather maximum protection in mind

There won't be rain in these season in NorCal here so I am not too concerned for being gore-tex or not
And I can't justify myself for a $400 pair Held titan gloves(yet?)

Which of these would be a better choice? I have two pairs of Taichi gloves so far and not VERY impressed with comfort. But I just deal with it for half an hour ride. Or you would recommend some other Held gloves(their line up is just too confusing). Air n Dry seem pretty good too but some people complain lack of protection compare to the Thrux

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you looked and knox gloves? Their handroid gloves are about 275 and are pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked and knox gloves? Their handroid gloves are about 275 and are pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did a little research on that. Most people don't recommend it for being too hot for the summer. So I guess not fitting my bill(will get heated gloves for the winter)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have a set of the Taichi EVOs. I use them for racing and never had any problems with them. The stitching did come away in one part of the glove though. I had it fixed. That was annoying on a new glove. Of course, I had the same issue happen on a set of Held Phantoms too.
how's the taichi gp evo compared to the held phantom?
Phantom seems pretty tempting but a jump from 250ish to 320 is another universe(I was looking at high 100s to begin with and now it's already 250ish lol......)

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would say the Phantoms are a bit more comfortable than the Taichis. As for heat, I just wore my Taichis when it was over 90F and very high humidity a couple weekends ago. I had no problems with the heat. Although I was only doing 15 minute sessions and at a track day. So I had more important things that I was paying attention to.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say the Phantoms are a bit more comfortable than the Taichis. As for heat, I just wore my Taichis when it was over 90F and very high humidity a couple weekends ago. I had no problems with the heat. Although I was only doing 15 minute sessions and at a track day. So I had more important things that I was paying attention to.

Most of my rides are 30minutes too which I don't pay much attention to temperature. Except it goes up to mountain and down to coast line for extreme temperature change(San Jose could be 87 and Santa Cruz could be 58 and up for 1000feet with fog to drain all the heat)

Just went to the store 15minutes ago to try out thrux, not as impressed on the quality and felt like horizontal shift rather than an upgrade. Gonna have to think about breaking the bank to go for phantom...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the GP Evos, too, and they are probably the best pair of gloves that I have owned. I have also owned *two* pairs of Knox Handroids, and would not recommend them to anyone. The exoskeleton system likes getting in the way of braking (especially if your levers aren't adjustable), and the Boa lacing system has failed on me *twice*.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have two pairs of Taichi gloves, some GP Evos for the track and some Raptor Mesh gloves for my daily street ride. I love their gear, it fits so well and is holding up to the test of time so well. I cannot recommend their gear enough.

I have the GP Evos, too, and they are probably the best pair of gloves that I have owned. I have also owned *two* pairs of Knox Handroids, and would not recommend them to anyone. The exoskeleton system likes getting in the way of braking (especially if your levers aren't adjustable), and the Boa lacing system has failed on me *twice*.
My brother has had a pair of Handroids for quite a while that he uses on a daily commute, has been rained on, two falls, and many track days and they still work just as well as they did brand new. If I didn't love how comfortable my Taichis were I would pick some up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two pairs of Taichi gloves, some GP Evos for the track and some Raptor Mesh gloves for my daily street ride. I love their gear, it fits so well and is holding up to the test of time so well. I cannot recommend their gear enough.

My brother has had a pair of Handroids for quite a while that he uses on a daily commute, has been rained on, two falls, and many track days and they still work just as well as they did brand new. If I didn't love how comfortable my Taichis were I would pick some up.
I have the taichi heated and regular leather gloves. All jacket/pants and stuff are from theirs. Absolutely love their stuff but their gloves are not as top notch from what I noticed. That makes me hesitate and wanna get the Held instead. I don't see myself having the same pair of Taichi gloves in 5years but I can see myself in the same pair of Held for 5years

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have you tried contacting them for some warranty work? It is my understanding they are super easy to deal with when it comes to warranty issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts

It sounds like what I have heard of, as well... experiences seem to range over a spectrum... I have heard from racers that love them, and those that decry them. All anecdotal, of course...

Some mixed reviews

Do be aware that with something such as gloves, it is really hard to predict how they will behave in a crash... too many variables to consider. To me, the Handroids have failed me twice in doing their job of staying over my hand... that to me was a deal-breaker (I didn't have a working set of gloves just prior to a track day, and that is a situation I would never want to be in). Right now, I simply prefer a gauntlet glove that does its job without any gimmicks.

It is, of course, completely and utterly plausible that it wasn't a failure of the lacing system, and that I was in fact being the gorilla... :D (though my lanky 165-lb frame may suggest otherwise!)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ordered the phantom II directly from Germany at the cost of Taichi GP-Evo, I guess gets me justify enough to buy with the discount :p
End up spending the most and buying the most expensive one lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just ordered the phantom II directly from Germany at the cost of Taichi GP-Evo, I guess gets me justify enough to buy with the discount :p
End up spending the most and buying the most expensive one lol
Probably a little late, but I've owned the GP-Evo gloves. They were a little thin for my liking. But probably comparable to most big brand vendors. Feeling in them was good, but they had all this extra material on the top half of the glove that really served no purpose except for looks. Those areas eventually came undone (normal wear, not through crashing). The gloves eventually developed holes in the fingers. And the palm slider got to be annoying unless using screw driver grip.

I currently have a set of HELD Titans. Almost the exact opposite complaints of the GP-Evo. Too much material and not much feeling/constrictive.

I have a friend who has a pair of HELD Phantom II. He had the same complaints as I do with my Titans, except his broke in much better. Enough material to feel durable but not so much that you lose feel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably a little late, but I've owned the GP-Evo gloves. They were a little thin for my liking. But probably comparable to most big brand vendors. Feeling in them was good, but they had all this extra material on the top half of the glove that really served no purpose except for looks. Those areas eventually came undone (normal wear, not through crashing). The gloves eventually developed holes in the fingers. And the palm slider got to be annoying unless using screw driver grip.

I currently have a set of HELD Titans. Almost the exact opposite complaints of the GP-Evo. Too much material and not much feeling/constrictive.

I have a friend who has a pair of HELD Phantom II. He had the same complaints as I do with my Titans, except his broke in much better. Enough material to feel durable but not so much that you lose feel.
I actually bit the bullet and ended up with Phantom II as well. Even the gloves are pretty insulated well I don't really feel it's too bulky(I had winter heated gloves on before and that was just whole hands in sponge). In warmer days I wish it's a little vented but I feel good when it's 50 degrees and on highway and still keeping my fingers intact rather than froze and falling off. I actually can use this from 50s to 90s without blinking so far(got the held liners too I will see how low I can stand without using heated gloves)
How's it that you compared the Titan to Phantom? Is it worth the extra 100 on top of pricy $300+ tag?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have a pair of HELD Steve Classic's. They are really nice. They are soft, flexible, with good protection where you need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts