Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey R3 bro's & sis's!

I usually get Icon & Alpinestars, and some AGV and Dainese gear. Icon wears big it seems for me and Alpinestars is about "right" on their sizing. I'm 5'5" but stocky/athletic. I was about 175 during my Army years but since hurting my back I don't lift heavy and work out as much anymore. I'm around 165 now.

Icon small fits me snuggly and get small, but usually wear medium. E.G. I wear Alpinestars medium jackets, but Alpinestars medium gloves are tight though they are completely different items.

I wear a lot of APC, J.Crew, & Diesel stuff casually and medium is about my size for tees, shirts, outwear, and hoodies. I've read conflicting sizing on RS Taichi gear reviews. Looking at some of their all season jackets to add to my Icon and Alpinestars riding jackets. All my jackets are black and my R3 is Raven. Wanted to grab something higher viz.

So the question is. How do you like the gear? Is it Uniqlo quality (which I love, but it doesn't last) or does it last? How about sizing? Are it's sizings in line with your other brands which generally fit along a universal size, if you will? I'm half Japanese but at STG for example,it lists "Japanese Medium" for example, but no idea what that means.:):|:eek: I am guessing, it runs smaller?

Thanks!

Kenji

·
Registered
545 Posts
Japanese XL = Between MD + LG US <This size fits me perfect 5'6" 170lbs , tiny bit of slop taken up by back protector. Essentially perfect fit.

Japanese XXL= US LG

Japanese medium would be a very tight small US. I am guesstimating as good as I can without googling from past experience shopping for Taichi.

The decorative areas are not necessarily long lasting construction but the jacket itself will not break down. Quality too high. I have seen one in person with 5+ years heavy use. Only cracking and crazing on decorative front panel from sun exposure.

Quality is excellent. Made in china but to tight specs. Fabric quality is as high as you can find. Silky soft against the skin.

I have this one brand new with the tags still on it. Will be using this for 100 degree days in SoCal.

Heres some pics of the tags and stuff to help you shop. Second pic shows measurements in CM

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, thanks for the feedback Bird. That was very descriptive, informative, & thorough. Really appreciate it. You've confirmed my suspicions, and it will be of great help. So many times, I have ordered stuff and since I work full-time, am working on 2nd BA towards my Master's, and am studying for IT certification exams while trying time to work out, ride,& hang with GF, I've procrastinated RMAing things only to have stuff lie around that I later have to Ebay or give away to friends. Not a bad gig for my buds.

But I wold rather get it right the first. I really do not dig shopping at the store and prefer online ordering which is so convenient, but the caveat is getting the sizing wrong, obviously, for new or unknown brands one has not yet tried. Plus, most motorcycle dealers have only a limited selection of riding gear. I don't have an all-season jacket or one good for winter so going to find an RS Taichi that fits the bill for my first one. Christmas present to myself. :) XXL it is! Heh, in Japan, sometimes I had to order two entrees to get filled up. No wonder we're all fat! :)

I like some of the black jackets with red or white arms, but feel white will stain. I like that jacket of yours. I was actually leaning toward one of RS Taichi's gray parkas. Looks to be pretty high viz and can double as a casual jacket. My R# is black, most of my jackets are black, my main helmet is an Icon Airframe resistance which is matte black-heh, not very high viz to these idiot drivers around here. My vest which I wear over my jackets is a Icon Stryker Battlescar which is kind of a tan/khaki/olive green. I got an orange reflective PT belt to strap to my vest and some reflective tape which I am putting strips in judicious spots, but a lighter jacket should help too. After that, I think I am going to get some brighter LED headlights to augment everything else.

I like everything being murdered out, but not at the expense of safety. Seriously, NY drivers used to be skillful, but now they're oblivious and incompetent to go along with constantly being distracted by mobile phones. We need a tiered licensing system, better instruction, and harder road tests. It's a joke.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just sold a leather jacket I guessed on and it went to someone 6'6". I could not imagine who the arms were going to fit perfect. Now I know. A basketball player.

I shopped for a bit and had to waste some time figuring it out. Easier to just pass the info on ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just sold a leather jacket I guessed on and it went to someone 6'6". I could not imagine who the arms were going to fit perfect. Now I know. A basketball player.

I shopped for a bit and had to waste some time figuring it out. Easier to just pass the info on ;)
Yeah, totally. Sizing is weird especially if Euro or Asian. I'm pretty short at 5'5" but again, stocky and pretty muscular (but some of it has turned to fat as I've gotten older-no longer 25). :) I weight between 165-170. I wear medium or large t-shirts and medium or large outerwear like jackets but usually medium. My chest is 40" and arms are like 15" now. Lost like 15 pounds of muscle after stopping lifting heavy weights. I wasn't huge but got a little too bulky for my height.

Anyway, my two of my best friends are 5'11" and 6'0" respectively and we can all borrow each others clothing. We don't now, but we did while we all lived together in the Army a few feet from each other. All of our torsos were about the same size but they had longer arms. Mine are like 32 and their arms like 33-34. It's basically all in the legs most of the times as far as height. The trickiest item is pants probably when you're shorter especially when they don't size it with waist and inseam lengths, and only use small, medium, etc. It's like uh....

·
Registered
811 Posts
Taichi has two levels of gear. The lower quality gear is made in China. The higher quality stuff is made in Japan using Japan cow hide. That gear also has the graphics silk screened on rather than the leather dyed. It is super high quality. I have the GP-Max R073 and love it. I prefer it over the kangaroo Dainese I had for a couple days.

Call or email Sportbike Track Gear or Moto Liberty (They are the US distributor) about Taichi sizing.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Taichi has two levels of gear. The lower quality gear is made in China. The higher quality stuff is made in Japan using Japan cow hide. That gear also has the graphics silk screened on rather than the leather dyed. It is super high quality. I have the GP-Max R073 and love it. I prefer it over the kangaroo Dainese I had for a couple days.

Call or email Sportbike Track Gear or Moto Liberty (They are the US distributor) about Taichi sizing.
This is true. You can buy official made in China gloves for cheap, compared to their made in Japan stuff, which is the superior quality item and costing about 5 times more. There are plenty of track day riders and racers who have displayed their RS Taichi gear after 1 or more accidents that still use the gear. Brand aside, the best gear you will have is the stuff you are wearing. Your $2000 suite is worthless compared to your $20 Bilt gloves if they are sitting in your closet when you go down.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been looking at Taichi for a suit too since I'm 5'5" but only 140lbs. I found this sizing chart on their website.

http://www.taichimoto.com/size-charts/
Yeah, I'm same height but 165. Generally, medium is the correct length for me, torso garments, that is, but tight in the chest. Large fits my 40-41" chest but is too long. However, the Icon Overlord Stealth textile jacket I wear is a small and I can fit some layers underneath, but it is very snug, almost perfectly form fitting. So sizing can be tricky especially on brands unknown to oneself.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing I noticed about taichi stuff is that they make it closer to asian fit but also available for shorter riders(I'm only 5'5" but only 130lbs). I tried on brands like astar and others and found they tend to have huge waist area that's not even fitting
Even some of their products are made in china they still have pretty decent quality. I have their GMX arrow pants(pretty much highest end pants you can get until race suit) and they are still made in china. Do they still have anything made in Japan? Some small products they have it done in Japan but not much others that I've seen

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
One thing I noticed about taichi stuff is that they make it closer to asian fit but also available for shorter riders(I'm only 5'5" but only 130lbs). I tried on brands like astar and others and found they tend to have huge waist area that's not even fitting
Even some of their products are made in china they still have pretty decent quality. I have their GMX arrow pants(pretty much highest end pants you can get until race suit) and they are still made in china. Do they still have anything made in Japan? Some small products they have it done in Japan but not much others that I've seen
Check the brands available on Webike. They have some brands (like Rough & Road and Komine) that I've only seen on their site and I'm assuming that they're Japanese Brands, some of which may be made there.

http://japan.webike.net/bm/top/Motorcycle+Gear+/+Motorcycle+Clothing/3020/

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check the brands available on Webike. They have some brands (like Rough & Road and Komine) that I've only seen on their site and I'm assuming that they're Japanese Brands, some of which may be made there.

http://japan.webike.net/bm/top/Motorcycle+Gear+/+Motorcycle+Clothing/3020/
how are the warranty doing with shipping stuff over from Japan? Some did complain their higher end gloves threads coming off fast and contacted them for replacement
It's noticeably cheaper(like almost minimum for 20%!) than the retailers selling here like STG

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
how are the warranty doing with shipping stuff over from Japan? Some did complain their higher end gloves threads coming off fast and contacted them for replacement
It's noticeably cheaper(like almost minimum for 20%!) than the retailers selling here like STG
I've never had to return anything to them but from comments/feedback I've read on the site it seems like they have good customer service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts