Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the charging system on the R3 has enough reserve to power a Gerbings heated jacket liner. The charging specs are 296 watts at 5K rpm. The jacket pulls 77 watts at full blast. I'm used to Beemers where the charging rate is more like 500+ watts so I'm not sure about the R3. I went ahead and ordered a Heat-Troller and I'll hook everything up temporarily and check the running voltage but maybe someone has already tried it on this bike or something similarly powered?

Marc

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm wondering if the charging system on the R3 has enough reserve to power a Gerbings heated jacket liner. The charging specs are 296 watts at 5K rpm. The jacket pulls 77 watts at full blast. I'm used to Beemers where the charging rate is more like 500+ watts so I'm not sure about the R3. I went ahead and ordered a Heat-Troller and I'll hook everything up temporarily and check the running voltage but maybe someone has already tried it on this bike or something similarly powered?

Marc
I've been wondering the same thing and am very interested to hear your results, subscribed :)

I went through the EEC calculator on the powerlet site but there's nothing sub 600 cc on there, where did you find those charging spec numbers?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so many heated jacket comes with lithium battery and regular 110v-240v charger now. They last hours with regular battery use(plus replaceable battery in some brands)
why not give those a shot?

for example taichi one's are like $150(jacket) and still 2hours with high heat/single battery
http://pro1.rs-taichi.com/product/RSU988.html
Many of my winter rides are 8 hours or more so not having to deal with batteries is a big advantage.

Marc

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run Venture Heat jacket liner, pants liner and glove liners on my CBR250R with no problem. It has a similar charging output as the R3 of around 300 Watts. I haven't wired up the R3 yet but I'm sure it would be fine. You will rarely turn the jacket or pants up to full. The glove liners are a must have and actually improve your safety from having stiff fingers but are a pain to use without the jacket since it has the wires coming right out of the sleeves. The pants liners are optional since armored riding pants keep your knees pretty warm. I use them when I go out of town and if it were really going to be cold all day I would put in the footbed liners for full neck to toe heat. There are no grip heaters that can do what these glove liners do since the heat material runs up and down each finger across the fingertip.
Heated liners are expensive but definitely worth it. They will increase your riding considerably and feel very luxurious and the wire is a 10 minute install on any bike.
http://www.ventureheat.com/power-sports/45-motorcycle-heated-jacket-liner.html

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Many of my winter rides are 8 hours or more so not having to deal with batteries is a big advantage.

Marc
I get 3-5 hrs. out of the battery on my ANSAI Mobile Warming vest and I carry an extra battery (c. $30). I don't ride at temps below 40F.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run Venture Heat jacket liner, pants liner and glove liners on my CBR250R with no problem. It has a similar charging output as the R3 of around 300 Watts.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
Marc

·
Registered
460 Posts
A full set of heated liners is expensive to get into but is really worth it if you like to ride a lot and are a commuter. This and an effective luggage system can really help you get more use out of your bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the Gerbings at full blast and the high beam on there is no problem. It still generates a bit over 14V just off idle.

Marc

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I ran the Gerbings at full heat all day with the high beam on and the battery just about died. Wouldn't crank it over after getting gas. This time I checked it with an ammeter and with the high beams on its barely positive. Put the low beam on and its charging about 3 amps. So the answer is not to run it with the high beam on and the Gerbings at full heat. Sorry for the bogus info in the previous post.

Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts