Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently just bought a full exhaust and a power commander to go along with it. Would it be okay to run the full exhaust for a couple days while I wait for the power commander to be deliverd? If so how long would it be safe to run the full exhaust without the PC before it causes any damage?

·
Registered
272 Posts
My personal opinion, is it depends on what exhaust system you bought, and how hard you run it. If you already ordered the PCV- I'd just wait.... It's only a couple days :sneaky:

·
Registered
172 Posts
You won't break anything, it will just not make as much power and you might have the occasional driveability hiccup - which you will probably still have with the PowerCommander until you get the mapping sorted out. If there is a concern about the engine running lean under load, just avoid doing any long top-speed tests until your mapping is done.

Part-throttle cruise won't hurt anything by being lean, it just might not be as smooth-running as it should be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's fuel injection and has a temp gauge. I've been running a full DG exhaust system and no tune for 3,000 miles and going wot when I can in the hot So Cal heat wave. I've reached 111 mph indicated. There is no noticeable loss of power and I can still go as fast as any R3 was meant to go. My bike never over heats. Personally, I have zero concerns about running lean on a fuel injected bike with a straight exhaust and freer flowing air filter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As @EgineeringAnon suggested, maybe wait and get fuel controller.... Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way. The engineers at Yamaha get paid pretty well to make everything "work", and provide a a platform that will most likely work for several decades. If we (myself included) think that changing that platform without a real working knowledge of what-will-effect-what, I suggest leaving it to the professionals at Yamaha (or a proven tuner) have engineered. You may not know that you may be shortening the life of your motor? The old adage "you don't know, what you don't know" comes to mind..... Good luck-

·
Registered
145 Posts
You may not know that you may be shortening the life of your motor? The old adage "you don't know, what you don't know" comes to mind..... Good luck-
I agree with this 100%. Just from what information I have read, seen in videos and heard from mechanics, you will be doing damage to your engine. I know plenty of R3 riders like you who run full exhausts with "no problems" - but that's not to say you're quietly doing damage and ultimately setting your bike to fail prematurely at some point in its life.

I would never purchase an untuned R3 with a full system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts