Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some saddlebags because I don't like the tail bag for daily riding. My legs are short and it's hard to throw a leg over with the tail bag. So I got Nelson Rigg bags. They were not stable because there's no frame or anything on a sportbike to support the bottom of the bags. So I did the same thing I did to my Ninja 650R a long time ago. Got some aluminum flat bar and made some guards I guess you'd call them. They were too low, so I attached 3 inch piece wide ABS plastic to the bar. The bags now are stable and fit good. I know it doesn't look the best, but hey, it's not a Harley. It doesn't have to look pretty :)

Reactions: Omnislug

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've never used saddle bags before. Does the Velcro really belong outside on the passenger seat or is it supposed to be inside and under the seat?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It doesn't look half bad with the bags on there, nice work! I've tried putting them on both on top of of the seat and under, they are more stable underneath but it can be hard to fit the seat back on, at least with my bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never used saddle bags before. Does the Velcro really belong outside on the passenger seat or is it supposed to be inside and under the seat?
You can put them over or under the seat, but I've always had them over.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the problem of one bag moving down and the other moving up if the weight in each bag is not close to equal. So I glued velcro to the bags and the white plastic. Maybe I'll get some pics of that in the next day or two.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a photo of the velcro on the plastic pieces. I forgot to take pics of the velcro on the bags before I put them on. And was too lazy to remove them after I had them fitted. They fit great now and do not move.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I ran the straps under my seat on my fz8 when I had soft bags. It helped to keep them in place and avoid sliding. It was also a tad more secure, since you couldn't just peel off the velcro and take it off the bike.

I have "semi-rigid" bags for the r3 that are on proper mounts and they are sooo much better, but also substantially more expensive. 500 bucks for a bag set up is a tough pill to swallow if you aren't going to use them heavily.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have "semi-rigid" bags for the r3 that are on proper mounts and they are sooo much better, but also substantially more expensive. 500 bucks for a bag set up is a tough pill to swallow if you aren't going to use them heavily.
Yes 500 is steep-that's 10% of what a new R3 costs. Which bags are they? Can you post pics or a link?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today I went on a 125 mile ride with stuff in the bags and all was well. No problems with the bags shifting. I like this setup.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I ran the straps under my seat on my fz8 when I had soft bags. It helped to keep them in place and avoid sliding. It was also a tad more secure, since you couldn't just peel off the velcro and take it off the bike.

I'd really like to see your setup also, plan on doing this and if you found a bag/mount combo that fits on the r3

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Interesting idea for mounting the bags! I'm wondering - could you have created something that mounts underneath and achieves the same end result? Maybe with a quick disconnect type of setup? That way, if you aren't using the bags, it would look like any other bike.

I tend to just bring a backpack with me if I need to carry anything as I don't like the look of saddle bags or tank bags (personal preference) but if there was a modular way to do it I might look into something.

·
Registered
507 Posts
expensive but it looks good actually! thanks for sharing, going to bookmark that page for future reference

·
Registered
507 Posts
had a look at the rest of the site, thats a nice find, first i've seen where someone made all this fit the r3, good stuff

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think a can of black spray paint would help it blend in better for cheap if you wanted, otherwise it seems like a nice solution. I've thought of something similar to keep bags more stable if I buy them, but I don't have the stock fender anymore. I do think I can do something with a simple gusset maybe, will have to look at the underside to find out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think a can of black spray paint would help it blend in better for cheap if you wanted, otherwise it seems like a nice solution. I've thought of something similar to keep bags more stable if I buy them, but I don't have the stock fender anymore. I do think I can do something with a simple gusset maybe, will have to look at the underside to find out.
That's why I kept the stock fender. I knew as soon as I bought the bike that I'd need it for mounting luggage. The bags have been on for about 400 miles and it's been working out great.

Reactions: Matt-J2

·
Registered
517 Posts
The only problem I have had in the past with bolt together aluminum rack (on a 400cc thumper) was after the first 400 mile day some of the bolts came loose so I stopped at a hardware store and replaced the nuts with nylock nuts. Also put red lock-tite on some. Then continued on for a 3000 mile ride with no problems. I don't think that would be a problem on a small twin on a street ride but nonetheless lock nuts are cheap insurance especially considering how soft aluminum is. I am fabbing some parts now and am using 1/2" flat steel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts