Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, We've been trying to put together a San Diego R3 ride for a while and this Sunday is it! Kojirro Is moving to Japan and this is probably his last ride in San Diego. Kojirro has helped me out alot with my bike and we've been on a few rides together. Hopefully we can get everyone together for this ride. I'm sure there will be posts about it, so keep an eye out for the Ride this Sunday around 8:30 or 9:00 HWY 94.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for covering that brother! I was going to ask you to post earlier, since A) my battery to my phone was dying while texting you and everyone else, and 2) we went out and had mediocre Viet Namese food across the street.

But yeah for anyone interested, the ride details are as follows

Meetup at 2295 Otay Lakes Rd., #116 , Eastlake Village Marketplace, Chula Vista, CA 91915-1160 0830-0900.

KSU 0900-0915.

Ride to Potrero market, take a break, ride up to the gas station. We can then grab some lunch and turn around, or keep riding a bit if time permits.

Ride your own ride, dont ride beyond your skill level to keep up with anyone else.

Wear all the gear you have.

I have some of my non-R3 community friends coming along, and feel free to bring anyone. A good time to ride, talk bikes, canyons, track, or whatever and meet some cool peeps.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Wish I could go but I am in New York. Have a good ride tomorrow!

That is a big move-Japan! Not sure if you & your kids have been in the States all your lives and if your wife is 1st, 2nd, etc Gen Japanese, but good luck. Should be a fun & interesting adventure and new chapter to your life. Go to Ueno if you haven't been there-Tokyo's bike district. Wonder if you can still ride 2 stroke NSRs on the street in Japan. I am half Japanese but a born & bred NYer. I do have lots of family in Japan though. Have a good move Kojiiro & hopefully no matter where you are on the globe, you stay a part of the R3 forums!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've been overseas for 10 years straight. This is my first tour stateside in my 14 years of the military.

I've been to Ueno, once to visit the zoo, and another time when I fell asleep drunk on a train from Shibuya and supposed to head back towards Yokosuka, but somehow ended up on a completely different train line, in the opposit direction. Ueno isn't even on the same loop lol.

I'll probably stay on the R3 forums. I still frequent my other bike forum even though I don't own that bike anymore.

Honestly I was looking forward for Honda to release their lightweight supersport but I don't think they will, at least not till 2017.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh cool man. I'm ex military. Spent 8 years in the Army as Active Duty from 96-04. I was a 19kilo which I loved but it was hard. I coukdve done something more in line with ny career but want to do something hardcore in the combat arms. Now its a different PC animal. I'm all for strong women and equality but not wholesale for everything under the sun. It is ridiculous. So glad I'm out. It's going ti be a clusterfuck. They though sexual harassment, adultery, pregnanices, QMPs, Courts-Martials, rapes, etc were bad before in the military? Pffft, watch what happens now.

Yeah, that concept Honda superlight sport bike is utterly sick. The CBR3 and Ninja 300 are very nice bikes but Yamaha upped the ante with the R3. I'm thinking Honda will refine the class and bring it along further with their next iteration, but I am thnking it is going to be a higher price point. Maybe they could even do a 3-400 V-twin? We'll see.

I love NY but it is a bummer when its cold & you want to ride. Wish I could go hit the PCH right now!

Please post pics from tomorrow's ride!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good riding with SDR3 and Henry. Fun times.

Kanji, I don't think anyone took pics lol. Everyone was anxious to ride. I'm going to check the motorfoto.us website later. I know Doug got a few pics of th group.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Good riding with SDR3 and Henry. Fun times.

Kanji, I don't think anyone took pics lol. Everyone was anxious to ride. I'm going to check the motorfoto.us website later. I known Doug got a few pics of the group.
Aw man! Well glad it was a good ride. I know you SDers have perfect weather which we don't in NY :| but it was almost 60 today in NYC!

But no pics! Memories.....

Have a safe move dude. Better get ready for nihongo. Nan desu ka?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a good ride, We went from 70 degrees in San Diego up to the Laguna Mountains and there was still some snow on the side of the road. The ride was longer than usual, over 200 miles, but it always feels good to just get out in the winding mountain roads and just forget about everything and enjoy the ride. Its a good way to unwind. Good to meet Henry. Hope he liked the ride. We have to do another one soon.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Excellent send off. FWIW I grew up in Japan (17 years) from age 1.5 up. Japanese public school from K-9. Started life at Camp Zama but then moved to Sagamihara, Machida, Meguro, and finally Setagaya. My brother just took his family of 8 back to Tokyo for a 3 year stint. If you want to shock the locals, just watch their jaws drop at the sight of that many kids, and a 6'3 dad who speaks flawless Japanese and is as white as they come.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Excellent send off. FWIW I grew up in Japan (17 years) from age 1.5 up. Japanese public school from K-9. Started life at Camp Zama but then moved to Sagamihara, Machida, Meguro, and finally Setagaya. My brother just took his family of 8 back to Tokyo for a 3 year stint. If you want to shock the locals, just watch their jaws drop at the sight of that many kids, and a 6'3 dad who speaks flawless Japanese and is as white as they come.
Matt, keep in touch through the forum when I head over. My first supervisor when I first got stationed over there was half white/half Okinawan. He also spoke flawless Japanese so to see a 6'3" red head speaking did indeed drop their jaws. Got us into a lot of Japanese only joints lol. That's slot of kids lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kojiro, maybe I missed it in another post, but are you shipping your R3 to Japan or are you selling it and buying something else once you get there?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Glad you had a good ride and send off. Have a good trip to Japan and keep up your presence on the R3 boards! Your hours will only be different now. :)

I am a born and bred New Yorker-grew up on Long Island (the suburbs for those that don't know) but live in Brooklyn now. Brooklyn & Queens are both part of the city but are adjacent to Manhattan island on Long Island but people refer to "Long Island" as if it were separate physically from the boroughs. I am actually half-Japanese from my mother whom my white father met while in the Air Force. I went to Japanese school on Saturdays but hated it because my white friends were playing on Saturday morning while my "hafu" butt was in Japanese school. I looked different than everyone else and felt out of place and convinced my parents to let me bail-stupid because my spoken Japanese is weak and do not remember much hiragana/katakana. Dumb move. Matt's Japanese is probably better than mine! Kojiiro and Matt probably understand why I had sushi, oden, komoboko, inari, etc with my turkey, mashed taters, etc on Thanksgiving. We mix it up!

Also, I was in the Army for 8 years. 1996-2004 as a US Army armored crewMAN. M1A1 Abrams tanker! Don't even get me started on women in combat arms. Ridiculous.

I bring up being half-Japanese and a veteran because it seems like there are a lot of similar guys around the R3 boards! W00t! Anyway, have fun in Japan Kojiiro. Since you're in SD, I can only guess you're Navy or a Marine?

Maybe you can get a street legal 2-stroke if they're still legal in Japan. Like a Honda NSR500 or Yamaha YSF250 (forget their old 2-stroke models...) Here in NY I had to help my girlfriend yesterday so couldn't exploit this 60 degree NY December weather. It is insanely warm here. Hoping to head out for a ride soon and work on getting some new parts on my R3 today! Not as lucky as you San Diego guys with the weather.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Kojiro, maybe I missed it in another post, but are you shipping your R3 to Japan or are you selling it and buying something else once you get there?
I'm selling it after my last trackday this Friday. I rally like the bike but the Honda supersport concept bike looks amazing. If it goes into production after I come back from deployment next year I'm getting it. Otherwise, another R3 for me since I have spare fairings and parts to use for the track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts