Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fun ride up to Palomar Mountain and back from the Lake Hodges area.

Probably the best R3 roads in San Diego, not high speed and lots of turns.

Ride starts near Escondido and takes the backroads through Ramona, Santa Ysabel, Lake Henshaw and up and down Palomar mountain. Then back.

You can look up the roads on youtube and decide if this is your type of ride. I usually stay around the speed limit on the straights and have fun in the corners.

highland valley rd
old julian hwy
mesa grande rd
palomar mtn s7 / s6

Meeting at 8:00
leave at 8:30
back between 11:30 -12:30 depending on stops

Meet at shell station on the west side of the 15 fwy at Via rancho pkwy Escondido

Shell station
3480 Del Lago blvd Escondido Ca 92029

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It's a lot of riding, a lot of technical parts so hope to see you there. Be safe and ride your own ride, within your limits.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good seeing you guys out there today. Really twisty road, that mountain is. Hope everyone that I don't have in the group text made it home safe.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made it home safe, It was great having 8 riders today. Palomar is twisty, but every time I ride it, I get a little better and I like it more and I want to go back. The R3 with good tires is sooo fun on tight twisty roads. I've never ridden an R6 or R1 but I think the R3 is pretty good on tight twisty roads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Left escondido at 830 went up and down the mountain 2 or 3 times and was home in oceanside by 12:30. We took a few breaks and a few runs up and down the mtn too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I made it home safe, It was great having 8 riders today. Palomar is twisty, but every time I ride it, I get a little better and I like it more and I want to go back. The R3 with good tires is sooo fun on tight twisty roads. I've never ridden an R6 or R1 but I think the R3 is pretty good on tight twisty roads.
That group with the 600/liters was killing it out there. I almost felt bad being so slow but like I said, my very first time out on that mountain.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did the R3 compare with your old ninja 600 in the tight corners today? which one do you think you were faster on? Which one was funner? I've got nothing to compare the R3 to. What would you rather ride on that kind of road? I like the R3 but never had a newer bigger bike?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
How did the R3 compare with your old ninja 600 in the tight corners today? which one do you think you were faster on? Which one was funner? I've got nothing to compare the R3 to. What would you rather ride on that kind of road? I like the R3 but never had a newer bigger bike?
I can only have ONE bike right now, so I would take the ZX6R simply because it has more power, and to me that matters for longer commutes. The ZX6R also had amazing suspension stock, and brakes, something the R3 does not.

On that particular ride, the R3 would out corner the ZX6R imo. I am slow, but even still, put an experienced rider on the R3, and then on the ZX6R, he would probably say the R3 just corners easier.

Here is one of the ride videos of my slow ass:
https://youtu.be/Y2Y7N3EtbBg

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Gregory was that you today? You did good out there man. Here is the video I was telling you about. I believe this rider is German? Look how smooth their roads are lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgH91tdUGXI
This guy has good skills, but he may have a short life. In that video he went way wide and crossed over the center line by several feet at least 4 times on tight right hand turns where he couldn't see what traffic was coming. He even edited one where he went WAY wide. There was a lot of traffic on that road, too, and a few oncoming cars & other motorcycles were crossing into his lane, too. Recipe for disaster.

He was over the line enough to have a head-on crash if the timing had been wrong. Plus, that was only part of the ride. Who knows how many other times he went wide.

Also, if you watch his lines/lane positioning, he's all over the road, no consistency in setting up for turns and his transitions are very abrupt, not smooth at all.

He seems to do a lot of track days so I'm sure he'll get much better, IF he lives long enough. Looks very young, probably thinks he's an IMMORTAL. :eek: Been there, lived to admit it!

Germany has GREAT roads!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This guy has good skills, but he may have a short life. In that video he went way wide and crossed over the center line by several feet at least 4 times on tight right hand turns where he couldn't see what traffic was coming. He even edited one where he went WAY wide. There was a lot of traffic on that road, too, and a few oncoming cars & other motorcycles were crossing into his lane, too. Recipe for disaster.

He was over the line enough to have a head-on crash if the timing had been wrong. Plus, that was only part of the ride. Who knows how many other times he went wide.

Also, if you watch his lines/lane positioning, he's all over the road, no consistency in setting up for turns and his transitions are very abrupt, not smooth at all.

I'm sure he'll get much better, IF he lives long enough. Looks very young, probably thinks he's an IMMORTAL. :eek:

Germany has GREAT roads!
I thought you were talking about me for a second lol. I am slow, and only been riding since early 2013. Rate how bad my riding is. I am here to learn to ride better, skin is thick, so bring the criticism! I am the guy with the back pack and Lauren on the red 250 is following me.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I thought you were talking about me for a second lol. I am slow, and only been riding since early 2013. Rate how bad my riding is. I am here to learn to ride better, skin is thick, so bring the criticism! I am the guy with the back pack and Lauren on the red 250 is following me.
I'm certainly no mad-skills rider. I never rode really aggresively on the street and, now that I'm an Oldie, I've slowed things way down because I recognize that my peripheral vision, reaction times, awareness, etc. aren't what they used to be. :( I'm still hyper-vigilant when I'm riding in town, though, and that can get pretty tiring. I usually try to get out of town quickly.

I must say, though, that I'm seeing new things, on the roads I ride regularly, now that I have the time to look at the scenery instead of just concentrating on the line. I'm approaching Turtle-Slow but still have a bit of fun on the R3 when there's no traffic.

You should ask some of the racers on the Forum to critique your riding on your videos. They'd be the best source for tips on technique. I know they'll all suggest you do some track days if it fits your budget. A California Superbike Course, or other Advanced Skills Course, is great, too.

Also, watch some of the safety and training videos on YouTube. There are some great ones on there.

Check the videos linked in this thread:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/618-...some-great-videos-advanced-safety-skills.html

I mentioned in an older post that I do some sort of skills practice EVERY time I ride. Once I get away from traffic, I'll work on a skill such as fast stops, transitions, shifting smoothness, swerving, lane positioning, etc. I've made it a routine and it definitely improves my riding. You can also do this while on a group ride if they're all up for it. It's rewarding to see how you improve. Lane positioning is one of the most important skills for riding smoothly (and getting faster) IMHO. I only speak for myself........ever, but that one helped me get better the most.

One BIG tip: when riding in a group where other riders are more skilled/faster/much faster than you, NEVER try to keep up with them or chase them down. I know lots of riders who have crashed doing that; they all went wide on turns and did a little off-roading at best and went down at worst. Just agree at the beginning of the ride that everyone keeps to their own comfortable pace and that the faster guys, or girls, will pull over at some point and let the slower riders catch up. Your skills will still improve just from the time in the saddle. Don't let anyone push you to go faster than you are comfortable with, and you'll know what that is. A little heart flutter is a wake up call.

P.S. ATGATT, Rubber Side Down, Shiny Side UP! Ride Safely!

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Adding:

A group ride where you all practice some skills together can be a lot of fun. You can critique each other, bust each other's stones (or ovaries), do a little bench racing and get to know the other riders better, particulalry if you've just started riding together.

You can find a low-traffic road and keep riding the same stretch over and over for a bit to monitor progress. Even better if there's an empty parking lot along the ride somewhere that you can practice quick stops, low speed turns, etc. in.

Then have the group meet at someone's house on another day to watch the ride videos. Good times!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts