Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here she is in all her "glory"...just kidding. I have lots of work to do in order to get this going. As I mentioned in my intro thread, I'll be slowly building this up into a race bike, and then replacing my CBR500 with it because I feel it will be a better bike once it's done. The weight savings is very significant. Already got the owner's manual and found a link to a service manual as well thanks to this forum so off to a good start! Anyway, I already have a bunch of questions so here goes:

1. I need a battery. Bike didn't come with one. Since I need one, and I care about weight, I might as well get a ligthweight lithium ion type, like a Shorai or something similar. Question I have is what kind? What's the power requirement. I've only ever had to buy one battery before, and it was for my old 1198, but that big V-twin required a pretty beastly battery. I'm sure the R3 doesn't require that much juice, but not sure what to go with.

2. Any ideas on how to get the gas cap off so I can replace it with an aftermarket keyless one? Some people have suggested shoving a flat head screwdriver in there. Did that...no luck. I also didn't really force anything. Should I?

3. What is the connector in the pictures attached? It was sitting in the tray where the battery is supposed to go with nothing plugged in.

4. Is this black cylinder like thing the charcoal canister? Any advice on how to remove/bypass it, and if I do that will it throw an error code on the dash? I've done that once before on my Ducati but it's been like 3 years or so and can't remember exactly the process.

More to come I'm sure. For the time being I just want to get it started to make sure it runs and see how many miles it has. After that, the modding will begin. If it's messed up, I'll cut my losses and part out what's left on it that's good, however the bike looks pretty clean. Not a single scratch on the engine cases or the frame, so I'm hopeful that it'll work fine. Looks like the stock tires are on and they look like they have no wear on them so hopeful for low miles. Either that or someone put a new set of tires on and crashed it immediately after lol

Attachments

Reactions: torrid_pace

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
346 Posts
it doesn't work for me either and my bike hasn't had the recalls performed. AFAIK all R3's are affected (not sure about 2016's they may not be since it happened before then).

·
Registered
40 Posts
call local yamaha dealerand give them vin cause i tried the website and yamaha number and both said no, then i called my dealer and gave vin and they said yes it needed both recalls and they orded the parts and performed the recall

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks amazingly similar to my project! Imagine that!

I think that is a flasher relay you've got in your hand there. And yes, I believe that's your carbon canister for the emissions.

Check out this article (and all the others!) at yamahaR3racing.com:
http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/...nd-install-block-off-plates-on-the-yamaha-r3/

Look for the Service Manual thread on this site and download the service manual. That'll help you figure a lot of this stuff out and make repairs and replacement much easier!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks amazingly similar to my project! Imagine that!

I think that is a flasher relay you've got in your hand there. And yes, I believe that's your carbon canister for the emissions.

Check out this article (and all the others!) at yamahaR3racing.com:
http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/...nd-install-block-off-plates-on-the-yamaha-r3/

Look for the Service Manual thread on this site and download the service manual. That'll help you figure a lot of this stuff out and make repairs and replacement much easier!
Flasher relay? What's that? Is it needed?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes that looks to be a blinker relay. Also that is part of the emission crap that can all be removed with block off plates. don't forget to check out forum sponsors for parts. Also unlock the gas cap and you will find 5 allen bolts unscrew them and the gas cap should come right off. what else are you looking to do and need?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that looks to be a blinker relay. Also that is part of the emission crap that can all be removed with block off plates. don't forget to check out forum sponsors for parts. Also unlock the gas cap and you will find 5 allen bolts unscrew them and the gas cap should come right off. what else are you looking to do and need?
Thanks! Guess I'll throw that in the trash along with a bunch of other stuff I already took off.

What I need? What I need is money! LOL...so that I can get all the stuff I want. I've already made a list of things that I want...there are 28 things on that list right now and none of it even includes engine work! :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, so I'm in business now! Bypassed the switch and got the bike to turn on. Started right up once I had everything connected and replaced a couple of fuses! Turns out bike has only 417 miles so that's a pleasant surprise! :)

Now the modding can begin...slowly! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you want to private message me your list i can try to help get you the best deals or steer you in the direction to get you the best deals

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you want to private message me your list i can try to help get you the best deals or steer you in the direction to get you the best deals
For the moment I just need to get a battery. Looking at a Shorai LFX07L2-BS12. I don't think any of the forum sponsors sell Shorai batteries. But if you know of any place that sells them for under 100 bucks, great...otherwise I'll either get it directly from Shorai or from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a Shorai battery on, and the right side switches along with a Woodcraft key eliminator harness. Took the charcoal canister off and got the YamahaR3racing emission block off plate as well. Also got some goodies from Vortex, like the rear stand spools, grips and clip-ons, however they sent me the wrong size clip-ons so I'll have to wait a bit longer to get those on :(

Will be getting an R6 throttle tube as well. Wish I had more money to get more stuff...unfortunately the IRS is screwing me over again, and my refund is going to be WAY lower than I had anticipated, so this project won't advance very quickly at this point :(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A bit more progress today. Got the right clip-ons from Vortex. Unfortunately they were out of the black 41mm so had to go with silver. No big deal though. I put them on, the new grips, the new right side switch housing and an R6 throttle tube. So far so good.

Attachments

Reactions: torrid_pace

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Time to update this a bit. Just got my blue short levers from Mad Scientist Moto! Great fit and they look great too! Didn't take pictures up-close but you can see the blue CoreMoto brake line as well. Got one for the rear as well but I'll take more pictures later on. I got a bunch of parts on order from YamahaR3Racing and my bodywork is coming in...eventually...so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to get it all done. Still waiting on Vortex rearsets to be released though :/...they seem to be taking their time with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More parts coming in and being installed on the bike! Working on the 415 chain kit with Norton Fab sprockets, installed full M4 exhaust, and got myself a used universal Ohlins steering damper. Should be getting a few more things from Jesse in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, still waiting on bodywork and rear sets so I'll be going to my first track day of the season without the R3 this Sunday :(...might not even make the first race weekend now at Autobahn at the end of the month because of the bodywork!

This is the first time I've used an M4 exhaust. Installation is pretty simple, which is a good thing because there is essentially no instructions with it (like seriously, the instructions have 2 steps...step 1: remove stock exhaust, step 2: install M4 exhaust...no ****! You don't say!). The carbon can looks excellent. Very nice quality, I was quite impressed...and I can be a bit picky since I work in the composites industry. The welds aren't all that great but good enough and nobody's really going to see that anyway. The carbon can bracket sucks though. It doesn't fit right and when I was torquing the bolt, I heard multiple cracks right away which came from the flanges, where the sharpest bend is. I didn't want to torque it all the way because I was afraid it would snap, so hope it holds.

Ended up buying myself a cordless Dremel as well since I didn't realize the stock chain uses a rivet not a clip. Oh well...it was about time. Not sure how I've made it this far in life without owning a Dremel lol

Tomorrow I'll be getting race tires mounted, and if I get the other parts from Jesse, I should have some time to install the PCV, and mount the Ohlins damper. Suspensions will be next but those will take a bit longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the package from Jesse with the PCV and the Ohlins steering damper mounting kit from Graves. No time to install though since I'm packing up to go to the track tomorrow (only with the ZX6R unfortunately). But I did get the Pirellis mounted and installed the 415 DID chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No pictures this time but I did install the PCV and I wired up the cable for my XT Racing GPX Pro data logger/lap timer. I'm glad I remembered to do it now when I installed the PCV since everything was already accessible. It would take a bit more work if the bike was all assembled.

The PCV was much easier to install than I would've thought. It was the first time I've ever installed one and it was pretty quick and easy. Although I imagine it would be a pain for someone that has much bigger hands. Some of those little connectors are hard to take off lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts