Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I never thought this day would come, however it always seems like we're looking for something better! I really thought I'd have my R3 until it fell apart (still want to) but I can't have two bikes right now and I've realized the R3 isn't quite as versatile as I wanted it to be. The R3 is amazing at carving up the twisties, it makes me wish I lived closer to the mountains, the 5-6hr highway trip there on the R3 would be pretty exhausting.

Seeing as how all of my buds are moving up to bigger bikes, I'm doing longer rides across the state and there's generally long sweepers here rather than really tight roads it just makes sense to move up. Also want my wife to ride and it's kind of hard on the cramped R3 compared to something a little larger. Plus, the looks of the CBR650F just speak to me (exactly like the R3 did, still love it). The new bike will be an all-around versatile do it everything bike with a little more power. Honestly if the R3 made an extra 20hp I'd probably be 100% happy, but I'm a little larger so it feels a bit slower with my fat ass :laugh:

For sale is a meticulously maintained R3 with 4500 miles and some extra goodies listed below. I've owned the bike since 67 miles (motorcycles was not for the previous owner) but it's never been down or damaged. Extra spare set of stock tires will go with the bike as well.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/6169380591.html

Mods:

Nortonfab Motorsports Levers
S20 EVO tires
Yamaha Frame Sliders
Front Axle Sliders
Rear Spools/Sliders
LED's for night time visibility
R6 Throttle tube

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes 2016, I absolutely love the color/design. Being more of a sports tourer it's quite comfortable, the position is slightly more leaned forward than the R3, more comfortable on my knees and I actually have room to move around front to back on the seat. I rode 300 miles round trip to pick it up and trade the R3 - the ride back was much more comfortable, the seat is actually quite comfy too compared to the R3.

I thought it would feel like a heavy pig compared to a R3 (460lbs wet) but honestly I hardly notice it with "sane" street riding, obviously you can feel it having to push it around and switching from tight lefts to tight rights. I plan to do an exhaust which drops an astounding 15lbs which is all below the motor (really low COG) so I think that will help with agility some.

With 86hp I can hit 100 as fast as I could hit 60 on the R3 :laugh: but it's not overly aggressive. Honestly I think it's perfect for everyday riding and something more versatile that can do it all, which is what I wanted. This bike is EASIER to ride in traffic IMO (except splitting) due to the extra weight it's easier to ride at slow speeds in a straight line, it has very good traffic manners. Clutch is much smoother than the R3 even without a slipper, the R3 was a little bit more raw in terms of how you used the clutch, it was easy to upset the bike a bit if you didn't have good clutch control, not so much with the honda, probably due to the extra weight.

Two negatives I've found - it's very picky about neutral and not getting caught between gears if you don't really smack that shifter - never had that problem with another bike but I think it may get better with 1st oil change/wear in. I hear it's not common so maybe something is loose, going to have the dealer look at it as I couldn't find any obvious culprit other than me possibly short stroking (although it happens on occasion without short stroking). The other negative is heat, holy **** this motor gets hot when at a stop compared to the R3. Due to the slightly open fairing design a lot more heat is pushed near your shins/legs, not a problem when moving (although when really getting on it, you can still feel the heat, just a little bit :) ) -- but when stopped sometimes you cook. It's not that bad though and really only is really noticeable when it's 85+ out and you feel the heat radiating after a long time in stop and go.

I really thought I'd miss my R3 but for everyday riding this is the perfect compromise and I still get up to 60mpg, I've been averaging around 45 where my R3 averaged 50 with my riding style. I'll probably get another R3 later if I really decide I want to do track riding, but figured I'd better get the value back out while it lasts before it drops some more.

Highway riding is GREATLY improved, no more wind blasting me across the lane lol it wasn't too bad on the R3 except some really high gusts but the wind got very tiresome. Since the CBR650 is a good bit heavier there's much less wind problems and the bike tracks extremely straight without much effort at all.

I wanted to get a super sport but it's on my list, I wanted to have a versatile all around do everything well bike that I can take on long trips. This ticks all those boxes, figured I'll get a dedicated super sport later, but having ridden at least a half dozen I don't want to ride that daily or long trips.

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
The other negative is heat, holy **** this motor gets hot when at a stop compared to the R3. Due to the slightly open fairing design a lot more heat is pushed near your shins/legs, not a problem when moving (although when really getting on it, you can still feel the heat, just a little bit :) ) -- but when stopped sometimes you cook
My 4-cyl faired bike did the same thing, it was a thigh roaster. I am guessing the lack of fairings on the street triple avoids cooking me, I only feel heat on my feet/ankles, which I actually like (cold feet / circulation).

I really like the red/black CBR650 scheme!

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's a nice looking ride, well done. I was looking at a 2015 all red 650F when I was shopping for a bike last year but was a little too much $$. Kept seeing it at the dealership every time I went by and sure enough, they dropped almost $1800 off price... I should have waited, that is the perfect street/commuting bike and I want one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a nice looking ride, well done. I was looking at a 2015 all red 650F when I was shopping for a bike last year but was a little too much $$. Kept seeing it at the dealership every time I went by and sure enough, they dropped almost $1800 off price... I should have waited, that is the perfect street/commuting bike and I want one.
I agree I find it as the best street/commuting and light touring bike! Absolutely in love with it. I nabbed an ABS version $1,000 off MSRP (best I could find in my area, sadly for a 2016 in this color).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice write up man! Thanks!

It is taking all my willpower not to upgrade.. lol.. but I know it is just too soon with only 1500 miles under my belt.. maybe next year!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It took a lot in me to wait, but the R3 was plenty fun, I also have some twisty roads here. I felt the R3 still had plenty of power around town though, definitely enough to get in trouble with, just wasn't the most comfortable for me on the long rides my group likes to take. In the end versatility wins, I'd still have my R3 and the new one if I had a bunch of spare change lying around :) just couldn't justify multiple bikes right now.

Smart move to wait, get more miles under your belt and get more comfortable, there's definitely moments on the new bike where I would've been screwed if I didn't learn as much as I did on the R3. Survival Reactions are a bitch, learn to avoid them on a bike that's more forgiving before you upgrade...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice bike!

The getting stuck in between gears goes away with quality oil. I put motul 7100 in my dads(15' cbr650f) and the shifting is night and day better. I really like it compared to the r3.

Its extremely fun with full exhaust and a bazazz too. Theres power pretty much everywhere in the rpm range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah as soon as I did break in oil change problem went away, was really frustrating >_< .

Did you dyno before after the full exhaust/bazazz? Was hoping to pick up at least 10hp but see that may be difficult or the very high end of what you may hit. Looking to do a full exhaust, bike is way too quiet, nobody can hear me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No, i didnt dyno the bike. I did the bmc air filter, gianelli exhaust, iridium spark plugs, and bazazz in my garage then rode it.

With the full exhaust, its much louder and sounds better. Before the exhaust, it was much quieter than my r3(akra slip on).

If you are looking for rear stand spools, R&G makes a nice set that replaces the chain adjuster brackets. I can take a few pics if u want to see it

·
Registered
199 Posts
Right on! Yeah really my only complaint is the comfort on longer rides.. I could do about an hour before needing a break. Right now I am 45 mins to work each way and that is some stop and go and it is not too bad.

Well and I suppose a little more power with my girl on the back would be nice but certainly ok for now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Ildottore46; Thanks I've already seen them, I'm looking at probably going with the GSG set that slides over the chain adjustment threading, little more versatile for removing the rear wheel etc. Also just ordered the proper swing arm stand offs for my pit bull stand, so I'm hoping if those work well I won't need to mess with spool adapters.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I originally bought the ones that lift it by resting under the swingarm, they didnt work. Wish the bike had standard mounting points.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you are interested in the gianelli(arrow) exhaust, heres a couple if pics. I have a video if u want it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts