Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been trying to get all my gear together for my commute on the R3, I have everything but pants, I am grabbing some this weekend, however I also want a Sena 20s, Got to try out a buddies and it was awesome. So heres my issue I was going to pick up some Dainese New Drake air pants for about 230 from revzilla, And a Sena 20s for 199 from Ebay, I realized I dont want to spend that much at the moment so what should I do just buy the Dainese and forget about the bluetooth for a month or two or just find a cheaper pair of pants and get the bluetooth as well? I have been looking for a pair of 100 to 150 $ pants but havent found many in that range with good reviews, so im not too sure what to do? Just other info my commute is about 56 miles one way, leaving in day returning at night with usually major temperature changes, also i recieve so many missed calls that a bluetooth would help but im 100 percent set on 20s Thanks Everyone looking forward to hearing from you guys!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'd hold off on the sena for now. In my opinion, the bike is not the place for taking phone calls, (particularly work ones) but that's just me. I have a sena myself but never use it unless it's a group ride. Obviously you can weigh that decision yourself as I don't know your circumstances.

Either way, I'd put safety and comfort over being able to take a call.

With the pants check for used deals to save some big $. If you already know your size in the Dainese pants, check eBay, Craigslist, and even other forums. There are a few very popular riding forums with tons of gear for sale. I wouldn't cheap out too much on pants, there is a noticeable difference between "entry level" gear and "middle or upper" level. Vents don't work as well, zippers don't last as long, and the fit is hit or miss. With the amount of time you will be spending in the bike commuting regularly, it's worth investing in something that will last and work the way it is intended.

These are just my opinions as someone who commutes year round in temps from 25-90+. I've owned a decent spread of items from many brands and am far happier with my stuff from a* and Dainese than my icon, bilt, sedici, etc. Your mileage may vary, and I'm sure people have had different experiences than me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! after a little more research this morning I think I will hold off on the Sena,it is definitely not as important as the pants and the rest of the protection items. I dont think id talk on the moto just wish I could tell when people were trying to call me lol I may even buy a new jacket before Sena if i go with a Dainese brand of pants because im all mismatched haha (alpinestars boots, icon contra jacket, random gloves as i seem to keep buying em) I just wish cycle gear had more items my sizing is always so off between brands when buying online. How does Dianese textile hold up say compared to cortech? I know Dainese has amazing leather but i cant afford those, so ive been looking at the New drake airs, cortech seqoia XC and a couple textile alpine stars pants. As a newish rider im still figuring out which brands to go with.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the 20s. My dad and i use the intercom feature. I Wouldn't use it to make calls though. I feel it would be too distracting.

As for pants, i have alpinestars airflow mesh riding pants. They dont have much padding, but they are comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
I bought my first Dainese leather jacket on eBay 2 or 3 years ago, for probably 200 or so bucks used but like new. I still wear that and it is still in good shape even after a crash. (scratched up but only the very top layer of leather). My wife got me a perforated Dainese jacket on clearance last fall, for 300 down from the 450 or so retail. Doing some shopping around will get you good deals. Sure it's still not cheap, but they will last me many years and several crashes.

Textiles and even leather quality will be pretty equal between Dainese, a*, cortech, revit etc.
My wife has a revit jacket and over pant combo which is very nice, and was reasonably priced. Features are the biggest differences, some offer liners, some have vents, some have pockets everywhere. Look for integrated armour where you would hit the ground, knees, hips, elbows, shoulders and back. The amount of these will vary from brand to brand, jacket to jacket. Textiles tend to have more features than leather, but it also depends largely on price point.

Also, don't worry about brand matching unless you want your pants and jacket to zip together. Ive got scorpion, icon and dainese jackets with sedici pants, icon jeans, or regular jeans. These get mixed with sedici, a*, icon and Dainese gloves which are all worn at different situations. Get the gear with the features you want over the gear that matches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts