Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed it down to these 2 bluetooth systems as they fit my price range. I keep reading mixed reviews on other forums, so I thought I would ask here. For those of you that have experience with these devices, which ones did you prefer? None of my friends currently have either of these, so we will be purchasing together.
I have read the SMH10 is very easy to use and the speakers are quite clear, but on the other hand, the Q3 allows you to use earbuds (sena charges $79CAD for the adapter) and have better range.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have experience with either of those models but I do have the Sena 10C.
I've taken calls on that and people had no idea I was on my bike. Clarity is quite good.
That one looks really nice also, but I have a GoPro so there is no reason for the camera. The smh10 connects to the GoPro so you can have video with audio. What is the video quality like on the 10C? It's looks really small and tidy on the helmet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm getting a scala on my next bluetooth communicator purchase. I have had roughly a 50% crapshoot experience with Sena. Maybe I just got some very bad luck but that bad luck was enough for me to say no more Sena.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
That one looks really nice also, but I have a GoPro so there is no reason for the camera. The smh10 connects to the GoPro so you can have video with audio. What is the video quality like on the 10C? It's looks really small and tidy on the helmet.
Yeah, I'm running a GoPro as well but I got the Sena 10C as a Father's Day Gift last year.
Battery life is way better on my Sena (my commute is too long for the GoPro unless I hook it to a charger)

This is the only Sena I've had so I don't know about reliability but I know they're popular and mine has been dead nuts perfect since day one.
The GoPro on the other hand... that thing always turns off and does screwy things. I don't trust it at all.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got a Sena 10s and it's awesome, way better than the SMH10, updated better battery life looks better etc. It comes with a jack for earbuds etc, extra aux jack upgraded speakers...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the 10s also, i like it. Voices come through very clear and i havent had any issues with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JUCMW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_c.cQybJFZJW2W
Works just as good compared to my brothers $300 sena. Always had clear call, great for music, and has universal pairing. What more could you want? Honestly don't waste a lot of money on these types of things. Not worth it, buy yourself a nice jacket or some parts for your bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JUCMW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_c.cQybJFZJW2W
Works just as good compared to my brothers $300 sena. Always had clear call, great for music, and has universal pairing. What more could you want? Honestly don't waste a lot of money on these types of things. Not worth it, buy yourself a nice jacket or some parts for your bike

Wow. That looks really awesome. I'll definitely consider this. You've never had problems paring it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Keep in mind the big difference is features. That intercom says it can do only 2 rider intercom at a time, but 3 riders can be intercommed (you have to manually go between channels and talk to 1 person at a time). My buddies have a universal like this now and it's a pain during group rides due to this. With my Sena I can pair AND talk to 3 other riders on ONE channel at the same time, they're both waiting to buy Sena's now... lol

If you only want to ride with 1 other individual usually these are great, although I usually do larger group rides with at least 2 or 3 others so I love my Sena that can include everyone in the party. The app is also amazing for being able to do more than 4...

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Keep in mind the big difference is features. That intercom says it can do only 2 rider intercom at a time, but 3 riders can be intercommed (you have to manually go between channels and talk to 1 person at a time). My buddies have a universal like this now and it's a pain during group rides due to this. With my Sena I can pair AND talk to 3 other riders on ONE channel at the same time, they're both waiting to buy Sena's now... lol

If you only want to ride with 1 other individual usually these are great, although I usually do larger group rides with at least 2 or 3 others so I love my Sena that can include everyone in the party. The app is also amazing for being able to do more than 4...
This /\
My Sena 10c was pricey but I love the functionality it offers and like Omega is saying, I can pair with up to 4 other riders right through the camera and it gives me a one mile range between riders as well.

If you just want a Bluetooth device for your helmet, a cheaper unit may be the best way to go. If you're looking to communicate with others through intercom, there's definitely better options out there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh yeah. That is true. But there are a few other units with the same feature. Just have to dig around. I bought mine based on reviews and other riders experience and they told me not to shell out too much on a Sena.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's all personal experience, some people will want to pay more or not, at least with my Sena I bought once, I cried once... Wouldn't go back to another cheaper device, even the ones my buddies have that advertise pairing up to 4-6 people it does... one at a time not at the same time they're all on different radio channels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts