Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down last Friday and got airlifted to the nearest trauma center.

I'm retiring the helmet.

Whether you're on 2, 3, 4 or however many wheels, please pay attention to the road and more importantly, IF THERES A DOUBLE YELLOW BARRIER DO NOT CROSS IT. The person that illegally did so and went in my lane risked my life. It's not worth going over some paint to zip by traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

I'm retiring the helmet.

Whether you're on 2, 3, 4 or however many wheels, please pay attention to the road and more importantly, IF THERES A DOUBLE YELLOW BARRIER DO NOT CROSS IT. The person that illegally did so and went in my lane risked my life. It's not worth going over some paint to zip by traffic.
I am glad you are ok brother. Get healed up and get back on the bike as soon as you can! I will have to say I agree with the bold statement above, especially speaking to the riding community here. I ride with a small group but all the riders in San Diego usually end up in the same areas (Cameroon corners, Potrero market, Star Bucks at East Lake, etc) and hanging around a bigger group of riders and just listening, I find that all too often riders grow this sense of "Im a motorcyclist so therefore I am always right". They will sit there and call out "cagers" but then turn around and do dumb **** like cross the double yellows in a blind canyon corner. I am not saying dont have fun, just be safe for your sake, and for the sake of EVERYONE on the road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'm retiring the helmet.

I am glad you are ok brother. Get healed up and get back on the bike as soon as you can! I will have to say I agree with the bold statement above, especially speaking to the riding community here. I ride with a small group but all the riders in San Diego usually end up in the same areas (Cameroon corners, Potrero market, Star Bucks at East Lake, etc) and hanging around a bigger group of riders and just listening, I find that all too often riders grow this sense of "Im a motorcyclist so therefore I am always right". They will sit there and call out "cagers" but then turn around and do dumb **** like cross the double yellows in a blind canyon corner. I am not saying dont have fun, just be safe for your sake, and for the sake of EVERYONE on the road.
Thanks kojiro!
Unfortunately the bike is done and I made a promise to my loved ones when I was in the er to no longer ride. Being alone on the road is ok. Being alone in life isn't.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks kojiro!
Unfortunately the bike is done and I made a promise to my loved ones when I was in the er to no longer ride. Being alone on the road is ok. Being alone in life isn't.
I understand and respect where your partner is coming from. I also respect how you can make that promise to her and follow through with it. For me though, my wife hates thinking about me not coming home safely ( I commute every day, and used to live in San Diego. Traffic can get wild there) but she knows that I love riding too much. She knows that asking me to stop riding would be taking a part of me away. This is who I am and she has to accept that this is the person she married. I have given up some things in life which in the end were small, insignificant and probably negative things anyways. Asking me to stop this one small, yet very positive part of my life would be asking alot, especially if it were "quit riding or you will be alone"

I am in no ways trying to run your life but I am extremely passionate about riding, as I feel most riders are. I also dont think a true partner would ask you to give up something you love(as long as its nothing negative) or risk losing them. If you dont mind me asking, how long have you been riding for?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely understand where you are coming from. It's not only her, but parents, brother, aunts and uncles. It's the whole family. I only started riding last September.

Btw I have some unused and uninstalled tst protections parts and some bike stands if anyone is interested. (Sorry if it makes the post in the wrongn section. Please move as deemed fit)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I definitely understand where you are coming from. It's not only her, but parents, brother, aunts and uncles. It's the whole family. I only started riding last September.

Btw I have some unused and uninstalled tst protections parts and some bike stands if anyone is interested. (Sorry if it makes the post in the wrongn section. Please move as deemed fit)
Take your time. Most people end up back on a bike, one way or another, whether its in a few days, or a few years. Theres jsut something about riding that people cant seem to get away from.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are going to be okay. Sorry to hear you are giving up riding, but I understand your situation. I agree about the double-yellow. If you can't keep it in your own lane, slow down! On group rides, if the fast guy goes up front, the rest of the pack tries to ride at his pace. It's always better to put the slowest guy up front, or make two separate groups (slow group, fast group). Safety should always be the priority. If people want to race, take it to the track.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd be interested in some of those parts. Send me a PM with more info? Or just post a thread I'll try and keep an eye out.

Glad you're okay!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are going to be okay. Sorry to hear you are giving up riding, but I understand your situation. I agree about the double-yellow. If you can't keep it in your own lane, slow down! On group rides, if the fast guy goes up front, the rest of the pack tries to ride at his pace. It's always better to put the slowest guy up front, or make two separate groups (slow group, fast group). Safety should always be the priority. If people want to race, take it to the track.

Thank you.

Just also wanted to clear up the fact that it wasn't another motorcycle that swerved in. In fact, the motorcycle behind me stopped to make sure I was okay. So thank you to him. It was in fact a distracted driver illegally crossing the double yellow into the carpool just so they can zip by traffic a little quicker.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just also wanted to clear up the fact that it wasn't another motorcycle that swerved in. In fact, the motorcycle behind me stopped to make sure I was okay. So thank you to him. It was in fact a distracted driver illegally crossing the double yellow into the carpool just so they can zip by traffic a little quicker.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that.
I didn't mean to refer to your situation with my comments. I was just giving my opinion about motorcycle riding in general. It's true, cagers cross the lines all the time. Everytime I leave the house, I see cagers on their stupid cell phones texting away. It makes me angry. I don't even own a cell phone. I pay attention when I drive, and I am always on "full alert" when I am on the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't sweat it! :D

Cagers, bikers, trikers or unicyclers.

Doesn't matter who. When you're on the road you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to pay full attention.

Privileges come with responsibilities!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I was in the HOV lane (in it. Not lane splitting). Friday night, moderate traffic, but still moving. My lane is protected by a double yellow barrier. Im moving along when all of a sudden, a car from the next lane over starts to merge, no turn signal, still with the double yellow barrier. I hit my bike's tiny horn to no avail, realize that I have to take action and try to swerve left to avoid being hit by this person making an illegal lane change. That's when it happens, the person in front of me comes to a stop due to traffic and I end up getting intimate with that car's trunk. I was wheeled out of there and into a helicopter where I'm air lifted for medical attention.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So I was in the HOV lane (in it. Not lane splitting). Friday night, moderate traffic, but still moving. My lane is protected by a double yellow barrier. Im moving along when all of a sudden, a car from the next lane over starts to merge, no turn signal, still with the double yellow barrier. I hit my bike's tiny horn to no avail, realize that I have to take action and try to swerve left to avoid being hit by this person making an illegal lane change. That's when it happens, the person in front of me comes to a stop due to traffic and I end up getting intimate with that car's trunk. I was wheeled out of there and into a helicopter where I'm air lifted for medical attention.
Not that it matters now, but I am trying to picture that in my head. If the right hand side driver that was merging illegally still failed to notice me, I would have speed up and started splitting lanes between the driver in front of me and (if any) the driver to his right. I have seen riders forced onto the shoulder in similar situations like that, but I will avoid the shoulder if I can. Too much debris on it. Also sounds like you either didnt notice the sudden stop in traffic( I look really far ahead and watch the traffic a few cars ahead, not the guy in front of me) and/or didnt have enough following distance. I am not trying to say you did the wrong thing or what not, I wasnt there and in the end only you can speak for what happened since you were there, none of us. I will say that as a commuter, I always assume that everyone around me is going to make illegal, no signal lane changes, that they wont see me and that they are probably making a cake and texting pictures of said cake to their friends.

Anyway, good luck with your recovery, and in trying to sell your bike.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's when it happens, the person in front of me comes to a stop due to traffic and I end up getting intimate with that car's trunk.
So it seems you are saying that you were distracted by someone merging in from the lane beside you and you didn't notice that your lane was coming to a stop?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened. But if your future changes and you do end up back on a motorcycle, unfortunately there was a big lesson for you. Horn usage on a motorcycle is for far off actions that are preventable, for alerting someone at a distance that you are closing in, and things of that nature. The R3 especially has that scooter-like meep meep. On the highway, when you see something like this happen, your first order of business is ESCAPING. If you went through the motions of escaping first and foremost, you would've most likely got out of it. But you instead went first to honk your horn hoping for the driver to notice you. That is not defensive riding on your part in the highway setting.

Yeah, you only have about 5 months riding experience, that's why you didn't get out of the situation.

Remember, you ride like no one can see you and you have to be ready to take action right then and there when it happens. Using the horn is NOT taking action. It just closed your window of escape.

I'm not trying to scold you, just trying to let you know what NOT to do in the future IF you ever do get back on the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear about what happened. But if your future changes and you do end up back on a motorcycle, unfortunately there was a big lesson for you. Horn usage on a motorcycle is for far off actions that are preventable, for alerting someone at a distance that you are closing in, and things of that nature. The R3 especially has that scooter-like meep meep. On the highway, when you see something like this happen, your first order of business is ESCAPING. If you went through the motions of escaping first and foremost, you would've most likely got out of it. But you instead went first to honk your horn hoping for the driver to notice you. That is not defensive riding on your part in the highway setting.

Yeah, you only have about 5 months riding experience, that's why you didn't get out of the situation.

Remember, you ride like no one can see you and you have to be ready to take action right then and there when it happens. Using the horn is NOT taking action. It just closed your window of escape.

I'm not trying to scold you, just trying to let you know what NOT to do in the future IF you ever do get back on the bike.

Not putting blame on the other person.
Could I have done some things better? Yea. Definitely. But the message I wanted to convey was to focus on the road. Regardless of mode of transportation.
Regardless of the fault, I lost my bike and almost lost my life. I wouldn't want that on anyone.

Shiny side up and rubber down everyone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts