Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody else experience smoother shifting between 3rd-4th 4th-5th and 5th-6th?

I feel the shifting between 1st-2nd can be somewhat of a hit or miss. I sometimes find myself in N while shifting between 1-2. Not sure if this is error on my part or has anyone experience this as well. Being a brand new rider (and to bikes) I tend to cough these things up to that but don't want to shorthand myself if something is really wrong.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Almost definitely a new rider thing, though higher gear changes "tend" to be smoother since the rpm's are closer. 1-2 will take a while to get down smoothly, the rest should be pretty easy.

Another tip, make sure you are applying a bit more pressure than normal to the lever on 1-2 so you don't wind up in neutral.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Welcome to motorcycles!
Neutral is between 1st and 2nd. This is pretty much normal on all bikes. Some are more picky than others.

·
Registered
346 Posts
1-2 are sometimes odd on my bike, especially downshifting into first. Sometimes I feel like it really clunks into place, lol. I just changed my oil again today (2400mi, a bit early for the second change) and it shifts like butter, its unreal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"Neutral Shifts'' are very common across all brands. It's just a matter of lifting it high and hard enough to hit 2nd. Had it happen in dirt bikes, Harley's..etc...

Anyone had this??
Several YouTuber's have talked about the "neutral at the light'' problem. This is where you roll up to a red light, shift to neutral to wait, the light turns green, and you CAN NOT get the bike to go back into 1st gear.

Happened to me a couple of times, usually when it's completely flat. You can jump up and down and it will not go into 1st. Roll the bike forwards or backwards a couple of inches and it's fine. If you're on a hill, up or down angle, it doesn't seem to happen.

Jay

·
Registered
82 Posts
1-2 are sometimes odd on my bike, especially downshifting into first.
Is this a thing? When I took "On Base Motorcycling" in the 80's, downshifting into 1st was an immediate fail. I've had dealers, mechanics, buddies, and priests all say it's really really really bad to do that...I'm NOT judging, I was just booby-slapped and trained not to do it...

I only shift to 1st when I come to a complete stop...or I bog around in 2nd.
????

Jay

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Anyone had this??
Several YouTuber's have talked about the "neutral at the light'' problem. This is where you roll up to a red light, shift to neutral to wait, the light turns green, and you CAN NOT get the bike to go back into 1st gear
Just like you said, keep your left foot in the shift lever with a little downward pressure and with the right foot on the ground, roll the bike forward a little. The bike will pop right into gear.

Absolutely normal across all bikes

·
Registered
330 Posts
. I sometimes find myself in N while shifting between 1-2. Not sure if this is error on my part
Yes and no. If you are a new rider, then it probably is on you just not shifting properly. When you go to shift, hold your foot up/down for an extra pause until the gear has actually changed, then let off. Just pushing down and letting it change is called lazy shifting and, although much easier, it can be a common cause of false neutrals. That is what this is called, sort of. What you are experiencing is actually hitting neutral, but you do not mean to. Therefore, it is a false neutral. The worse kind is when shifting from 4-5 or something like that and you find a neutral. That sucks. But luckily, not your issue.

I actually find myself hitting neutral from 1-2 and back down quite often on the R3. I think it's because I get so used to the precise shifting of my BMW that the "slop" in shifting is unusual and I don't lift up all the way. I have, on multiple occasions, missed 1-2 and hit neutral. Usually right at the beginning of my hopping on the R3 since I barely ever ride it.

Several YouTuber's have talked about the "neutral at the light'' problem. This is where you roll up to a red light, shift to neutral to wait, the light turns green, and you CAN NOT get the bike to go back into 1st gear.
This is a common problem not just in motorcycles, but cars as well. If you let off the clutch and re-engage and it still will not go in then you need to roll the bike back and forth a little bit to get it to go in. The gears on the transmission just are not lined up properly to slip in. If it still will not go in then there is an actual problem.

Is this a thing? When I took "On Base Motorcycling" in the 80's, downshifting into 1st was an immediate fail. I've had dealers, mechanics, buddies, and priests all say it's really really really bad to do that...I'm NOT judging, I was just booby-slapped and trained not to do it...

????

Jay
I downshift to first everytime I ride. Why not? It's not like we are talking about a granny gear in a diesel truck or something here. First is an entirely viable gear to use in a motorcycle. Bogging the engine, which is surely not healthy for it either, is surely not the right thing to do at 2MPH in stop and go traffic. ****, I hit first on the track pretty regularly coming around hairpins onto back straights to get more drive into the straight.

A lot of people in Subaru world have similar mindset about shifting into first because, according to them, it is trashing the gears. I have put over 100k of rough miles on my personally rebuild 5 M/T in my Subaru. I pulled the gearset out not long ago to put a higher gear 5 in for better highway cruising and checked my teeth on gear one. Not even a little wear over any other gear. There is probably some old logic behind it relating to syncros or something but I cannot say certainly.

The only reason I could see as to why not is if you are inexperienced with rev-matching and you downshifted into first at the wrong RPM it would lock the rear tire up. But I surely would not teach people to not go into a gear for that reason. Instead, I would teach them proper shifting so as to not have that sort of issue in any gear.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
At what rpm should I shift out of 1st and 2nd? If I'm supposed to be going 60kmph?
I wouldn't take this as gospel but the manual does have recommended shift points on page 5-3. This will at least give you a starting point that you can begin with, and then you can experiment from there.

Shift up points:
1st -> 2nd: 20 km/h (12 mph)
2nd -> 3rd: 30 km/h (19 mph)
3rd -> 4th: 40 km/h (25 mph)
etc...

·
Registered
346 Posts

????

Jay
My MSF class was the opposite. You lost points if you were not downshifting into first before you stopped. As in, they wanted you to actively be shifting to the gears and end up in first before you stop, not after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts