Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally in the final steps of getting my R3. Originally was planned to get one near end of season last year but due to some RL stuff I had to put it off. I finally got my temps a week ago, and I'm taking the Basic Riding course through the DMV here in Ohio in mid June. I've started to get OTD prices so I'm ready the weekend after my class to go make my purchase.

Question though: This past weekend I went to a local dealer to kind of sit on and get the feel again for the R3, and some of the other's I was semi debating on. (Ninja 300, CBR300F, FZ6R, Ninja 650) While sitting on the R3 I did notice that the shocks felt really really soft(?), I could bounce like crazy on it.

Is it that difficult to adjust it myself or am I gonna need help or just let the shop do it? I'm most likely getting my R3 from a different shop than the one I sat on at. Since I've been given a better/lower OTD price there. I'm wondering if I could ask (I'm sure I could ask worse they can do is say no.) if they would help or adjust it for me if that one needs/feels like it needs it.

Do the fronts also adjust or just the rear? The rear I'm assuming just takes a shock adjustment tool and you turn it to tighten/loosen it? What about the front?

TLDR:
How do you adjust the shocks? Is it difficult for 1 person specially a novice to bikes? Can the front's be adjusted?

·
Registered
542 Posts
The rear has adjustable preload only, the front is set as is. They sell front preload adjusters you can add to the bike but I don't know how much they will help. Some guys have used them here and liked them, but I have no experience with them.

Adjusting the rear preload is very easy, it's just a wrench in the toolkit and a bit of twisting. To do this completely right (by measuring the sag as a determining factor) a friend is really helpful. To just move it up or down a notch and see how it feels riding, it is easily done by yourself.

As a beginner level rider, I don't think the suspension's softness is a huge deal, there are plenty of guys racing these bikes with the stock suspension. I rode mine hard for a few thousand miles before upgrading, and it was because I "wanted" to, not because I "needed" to.

Also, if you weigh a lot more or a lot less than ~165 lbs, you will probably want to look into new springs on any of those bikes you listed as they are set up for that weight range and all have limited adjustability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup I'm def a "bit" heavier. I know we have a few people on the forums here and I've found other's on different forums that are in my "size" range that have the bike and do fine on it so that's why I'm happy to be getting one still. But I'm 5'11" 285-290lbs. The size I've been since my high school football O-Line days. Just the muscle has gone away some :p and turned into a bit of a beer belly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe R3 preloads are set for someone between 70-80 KGs. 290 ibs would be equivalent to about 130 KGs therefore some adjustments to the preload would be ideal however keep in mind that unless you go racing etc it's really just an exercise in academics. The shocks are obviously made to also carry 2 people and perform within specifications so think of you as a person and a half.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way the one I sat on in the shop felt was as if it was on the softest setting. I'll for sure need to see how the one I end up getting feels. Good to know it's something I can easily do in my garage/driveway with a 2nd person handy. I'm about 1 month exactly away from my classes and getting super excited.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
The way the one I sat on in the shop felt was as if it was on the softest setting.
The shock can be set to notches 1 through 7. The shock from the factory is set to "3" by default so you will have some adjustment that you'll be able to make.
It's a very quick and easy adjustment... I'd be surprised if the shop wasn't willing to make a quick adjustment so you could feel the difference before deciding to buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts