Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a reply in the "What Helmet Have you Got" thread but thought that this announcement was compelling enough that it deserved its own thread since we're always looking for new parts and gear.

Apparently it has near RF-1200 features and quality at the more palatable price of $399. Dishing out $600-$900 for a helmet which for all intents and purposes has a relatively short shelf life is kinda brutal and can be hard on the budget. I've known some people to ride with 10-15-20 year old helmets-OMG. Due to the economy, cost of living, etc, now our disposable income is much less since we're all nickled and dimed to death. I am "subscriptioned" out to the wazoo too-DropBox, Backbzlze, Scorpio, Cycle World, etc. Everything is a **** subscription now, and there are always upgrades, new versions, etc.

Anyway, with all the other costs for parts, gear, etc, it becomes hard to spend that much loot on a helmet. I was thinking of getting an RF-1200 this Spring, but now I think I am definitely getting an RF-SR. While I like solid colors, I was leaning toward one of the RF-1200 graphics models, but looks like the RF-SR's only come in solids. $399 is still by no means cheap, but from the descriptions and early reviews, it looks to be near an RF-1200 but 30% cheaper, so even at that price point, I think it would be worth it. I had my heart set on an RF-1200 Flagger or Flaggeer, which are the new graphics RF-1200 models Shoei just released recently. Oh well.

On the Shoei site, it says available in Spring However, it is up on the RevZ page for pre-order with a 10% discount which is pretty sweet. Here's the RF-SR Product Description from the site:

"DESCRIPTION

Equipped with many of SHOEI’s top features while keeping functionality efficient and to the point, the all-new RF-SR is anything but “entry level”. Boasting a compact, aerodynamic shell design along with sharp and aggressive styling, the RF-SR has a progressive look all of its own. Exceptional airflow, an advanced shield system, and a fully removable liner allow the RF-SR to excel whether short-distance street performance or long-distance touring comfort is your jam. The RF-SR–Streamlined functionality and affordability with premium SHOEI quality."

Here is a screen shot of the Shoei catalog for the RF-SR:

Here is the link to the RF-SR's model page on the Shoei site->http://www.shoei-helmets.com/rf-sr.html

Though I love the value and quality of my Icon Alliance Dark, I had been in the market for a new "premium" helmet. You don't want to skimp on helmets or tires, but you can also get value and quality without breaking the bank. My last expensive helmet was an RF-800. I was thinking about getting a Shoei RF-1200, Bell Star or Race Star, or Icon Airframe Pro Halo Carbon, or Arai Signet-X, which are all mostly $600+, with some around $400. That is why I am excited about the RF-SR. Think I found my new helmet, but will definitely have to try it on in person and ultimately the fit will dictate whether I keep it. Smart move by Shoei. Just like the proliferation of the "entry level" and lightweight" sport bikes the past few years. According to Road Racing World mag, they're leading in sales. These will probably be flying off the shelves.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Most moto-gear retailers have the HJC RPHA-10 on sale right now. HJC introduced the RPHA-11 recently.
So... they are discounting the RPHA-10's to move them. I got one for $260. The RPHA-10 is a top-tier high-end lid.
It's a killer deal at that price. Some people have managed to find them for even less.
Helmets last longer than 5 years. Helmet manufacturers would love for you to buy a new helmet every few years,
because they SELL HELMETS.
:laugh:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Speaking of great helmets at a great price, I've seen Scorpion R2000 helmets as low as $170 recently for a brand new solid and $200ish for most colors. That's a GREAT helmet at that price, snell rated and all. I picked one up as my commuter helmet so I could keep my nice carbon one nice and fresh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Going to bump this thread as I'm anxious to read about the reviews on the RF-SR. Definitely an attractive price for new riders like me who don't need all the graphics or hardcore aerodynamics for the track.

What I'm curious to know is if the fit will be similar to the RF 1200 for intermediate oval heads.

Rumors have it that the RF-SR is intended to replace the Shoei Quest, which is more of a round oval which may not be a good fit. I haven't tried the Quest so I'm not sure.

Crossing my fingers they'll be in stores soon! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts