Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya!

Setting
I am new to the site (and asking for help). I will preface the issue I have with the scenario I was in; I had lost my key and was unable to get home. I looked up how to hotwire and break the steering lock on my bike which is way too easy to do.
I ended up getting home but as I did a tight turn the ignition wires touched the frame and shorted out.

My Bike is a 2018 YZF-R3

The issue and current position:
I had rode home with the hotwired bike and had joined the ignition wires with a key ring. The wires are easy access from sitting on the bike and are just 5-10 cm away from the key barrel
When I did a tight right turn the keyring touched the frame and sparked causing the bike to die and would not start.
When I turn the key in the ignition, there are no lights or any response from the motorcycle.
I have checked the 2 fuse boxes that hold the ABS and the Ignition fuses which they are all fine.
The battery has charge.

Questions:
Is there more fuses, could I have fried a relay?

Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Does anyone know where to go from here?

Are there questions I should be asking?

Understanding that I sound like someone who just stole a bike and broke it. If I need to verify that this is my bike I will happily show any proof required.

I can't take it to the dealer yet as I don't have the funds to achieve this.

I have searched for a forum looking at this issue but the search function is confusing me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Did you check the main fuse? If not, it is sort of hidden, "encapsulated" in a plastic cap under the starter relay. The cap on mine was difficult to popped off. Under the starter relay you will see exposed a 30A fuse for a replacment spare. The main fuse is next to the spare but under a plastic cap.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My Yamaha is a MT-03 but the starter relay location should be the same. Look here:

The live fuse is under the red cap:

You can see the green 30A spare fuse in the pocket on the bottom of the starter relay.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Kiko's spot on. You're not the first person to blow a main fuse.. It just took some of us longer to figure it out.
The top of this page has a "Search Community" box.. type in bike wont start, main fuse blown, or something.. If you have an Owners Manual.. look through it, it explains everything Kiko's showing you. If not, you can download a free PDF from Yamaha's site. I have the link below. Look at pages 7-31 and 7-32 for photos and directions. Also have a link to a previous discussion. Good Luck.

2015 Yamaha YZF R3 wont start | Yamaha R3 Forums (r3-forums.com)
YAMAHA Owner's Manual Library (ymcapps.net)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts