Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a shorter windscreen available for the R3? I've seen many aftermarket ones but they look like they're about the same height as stock. Even with an air mesh jacket the summer heat is brutal and I'd like to get more air for the summer months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
How about removing the screen or taking off the whole front fairing? I think some guy on this forum did it with his R3 converting it to a black naked street fighter bike.

If not then get a cooling evaporation vests on amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=cool+vest

Alternative, don't ride between 11am to 3pm ... as the sun is at its highest point in the sky. Do your riding after those hours when it gets a little cooler.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm limited to riding between the hours of 2 and 6am because it's about 78-82 degrees F at that time. I've even poured water on my shirt but the tall windscreen won't let much air get to it. I need more solutions to ride during the daytime-shorter windscreen, Camelbak, or maybe a cooling vest. I don't want to remove the windscreen and fairing and make it a naked bike. It looks so good like it is. I've even thought about trimming about 1.5 inches off the windshield with a Dremel tool and putting door trim molding on it. I've done that before. If I mess up the shield, I can get an aftermarket one on Ebay for 20usd.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm limited to riding between the hours of 2 and 6am because it's about 78-82 degrees F at that time. I've even poured water on my shirt but the tall windscreen won't let much air get to it. I need more solutions to ride during the daytime-shorter windscreen, Camelbak, or maybe a cooling vest. I don't want to remove the windscreen and fairing and make it a naked bike. It looks so good like it is. I've even thought about trimming about 1.5 inches off the windshield with a Dremel tool and putting door trim molding on it. I've done that before. If I mess up the shield, I can get an aftermarket one on Ebay for 20usd.
Then why don't you just remove the windscreen and give it a test ride before you decide to dremel it?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why not get the eBay one and mod that?

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Because it doesn't cost anything to mod the stock screen.
True, but I misread and thought you were planning on getting an eBay one as well. I would rather spend the money on a crappy eBay one to cut than the original screen, in case it does t turn out the way I want.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True, but I misread and thought you were planning on getting an eBay one as well. I would rather spend the money on a crappy eBay one to cut than the original screen, in case it does t turn out the way I want.
I plan on getting one off of Ebay only IF I mess up the original.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I chop some off the shield it would put my helmet above the buffeting zone and make a much quieter ride. So I'm definitely going to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts