Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first motorcycle. Yamaha R3 looks the perfect starting motorcycle for me.
I found this 2015 with low miles but has some cosmetic damage. Here is a link to the posting:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/5598741019.html

I'm going to see this tomorrow and if everything looks right, I'm going to offer him 3500$. Does that seem like a good deal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The bike has obviously been down, but that is still a pretty low price so clearly he wants to move the bike quickly. Its definitely a good price and the damage doesn't look bad, but I'd be on notice of hidden or more serious issues. You 100% should have someone test ride it, and maybe see if you can spend $50 or so to have a mechanic look it over before you finalize the purchase, or at least put a clause in the bill of sale saying the sale isn't finalized until after a mechanic sees the bike.

If everything else checks out then you will end up with a solid, low-mileage starter bike at a great price. You can replace the levers for cheap and a new fairing will run you $75-100. Might not even be worth it to replace the fairing right away, since you might end up dropping the bike yourself while you learn the ropes.

If it was me, I would offer the guy $3000 and say that you are going to have to have a mechanic see the bike since its been down and you can't know for sure if there is other damage, in addition to the $100-200 you have to spend to fix the existing damage. He probably won't go for that price. If he does, its even more likely something else is wrong that he isn't saying. If he's telling the truth, he'll probably say $3k is too low, but you'll have more room to haggle than if you offer $3.5k right off the bat.

Good luck, I hope it works out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great advice.
I'll definitely try to take it to a local mechanic shop and have someone there check it out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
$150 in cosmetic damage. If all structural skeletal frame forks etc checks out its a pretty decent buy. I just sold a Raven with 225 miles like new for $4200 for a reference. For $3400-$3500 I would bite.

I suggest taking a mechanic or experienced rider to the bike. Its most likely just a tip over, need to find out 100% sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts