Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi R3 Riders,

I am having an interesting issue with my 2015 Yamaha R3 and I thought you people might have some insight to share. This might be a bit long. Please bear with me. :) All my upgrades were bought from TST Industries. I highly recommend their products for aesthetics, fit, and install.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my right-side halo (around the flush mount signal) would not light up, periodically. (The signal light continued to work as normal.) After a few rides, it was out almost all the time. In case it was not just the halo, I ordered all new signals and halo lights. When they arrived, I replaced the right-side halo first. That did not solve the problem. Must be the wiring, right? Nope. Replaced the whole thing. Same problem. I have attached a video of the issue. Basically, the halo works sometimes (rarely), flickers at other times, or (mostly) does not light at all. The basic signal function works as normal at all times.

Today I noticed my integrated tail light has developed an interesting problem. Instead of strobing a few times and then going solid, it continuously strobes. I do not think a new integrated tail light will solve the issue, since it did not help with the front indicators.

For the record, I do not necessarily think this is a TST product malfunction, it is just a possibility. Could it be the flash relay? I used the TST one so I do not get hyperflash and it has worked well for years, but I wonder if this could be the issue. Originally, since the (front) left-side halo+signal worked normally and the right-side was malfunctioning (and replacing the light did not work), I thought it might be a wiring issue. Now with the tail light acting up, I am considering the relay as an issue. I hope it's not a wiring problem with the R3 itself!!!

FYI, at the time my right-side halo starting giving me problems, I noticed my dash-mounted turn signal indicator light (the light that tells you the signals have been activated) started lighting up faintly, kind of half "on". When I activated my signal lights it would get brighter and flash as normal, but continue to be half on when signals were not activated. I thought it coincided with the halo being out. That is, being half-lit when the halo was out and dark when halo working. Turns out the halo is out almost all the time and the turn signal indicator light will half light up periodically and be dark (normal) other times.

Anyway, that was a long way to ask if my issue might be the relay or something else. Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Even though you said the wiring seems okay, there has to be a partial short somewhere. You'll have to investigate since everything you've told us says there is a partial short somewhere on the right side.
I tried to track down the grounding issue. When I disconnected the individual signal leads, no issue (other than various signals stopping, of course). When I unplugged to integrated tail light, the right-side halo came on. When I plugged the tail light in again, the halo went out. Repeated several times. Same result. Told TST Industries about it. Probably gonna order a new one since I like it so much. Beats having to trace every wire throughout the whole bike!

Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us know how you make out after you get the new part. Weird issue - TST stuff is usually well made. But they are a good vendor so I'm sure they will get you sorted out.
I sent them an e-mail with a video that demonstrated the problem. Even though it's beyond warranty, they are going to ship me a new one. I just have to pay for the duty and shipping. Awesome of them to do that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts