Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Something my wife pointed out to me while riding behind me. She said "Are your signals supposed to wiggle around that much?" .
So I pose the same question to fellow owners. Do you notice your lights wiggle alot? I realize stock lights are mounted on a rubber pillion but I don't recall my last bike having them bounce around so much.

Since she pointed it out I noticed the front ones jiggle alot too. Is this by design or did they forget to tighten them at the factory/dealer?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Howdy all,

Something my wife pointed out to me while riding behind me. She said "Are your signals supposed to wiggle around that much?" .
So I pose the same question to fellow owners. Do you notice your lights wiggle alot? I realize stock lights are mounted on a rubber pillion but I don't recall my last bike having them bounce around so much.

Since she pointed it out I noticed the front ones jiggle alot too. Is this by design or did they forget to tighten them at the factory/dealer?
yes they wiggle by design,one more reason to get an integrated tail light and flush mount turn signals

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, they have a little rubber bushing between the turn signal itself and where they mount to. It is probably possible to remove this and/or rig something up but most fender eliminators do away with it anyways. I despised that wiggle. It had to go.

It is done by design, I have been told before, because it gives the signal flex in case it bumps against something or the bike gets dropped as this bike is more likely to have done than others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's cute. It makes me laugh everytime I see it. Reminds me of Yoda's ears!
:laugh:
Yoda's ears... that's funny.

Yup, I am installing a fender eleminator this weekend. Should firm up a jiggley rear end. The fronts are a little shakey too... but I can live with that.

I only look at my rear turn signals is during periodic maint while it's parked in the garage. So never would have noticed if my wife hadn't said something.

Yamaha has has a design flaw. Beautiful bike with the most ugly rear fender of all bikes from Japan. I ordered the fender eleminator the same day I bought my bike. It's finally arrived... thank god. :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
True. My very first R3 mod was a rear fender eliminator kit.
I kept the stock turn signals though. I kinda like them. Big and goofy-looking, but cagers can see them better than those little LED aftermarket units!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I kept the stock turn signals though. I kinda like them. Big and goofy-looking, but cagers can see them better than those little LED aftermarket units!
When I installed the FE, I kept it too for that purpose of being seen when using my turn signals. Even kept the front turn lights as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The wiggle is normal. AC-Productions on youtube has a video about modding the stock signals to shorten their stem, which helps reduce the wiggling a lot. The thread is on the forum here somewhere but I don't want to dig it up right now, lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did EXACT same thing...had the bike only a couple of days when I took that 'boat motor' looking fender off.

Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
I kept the stock ones as well on the rear. They honestly look just fine in the fender eliminator IMO and have tons of visibility.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Did EXACT same thing...had the bike only a couple of days when I took that 'boat motor' looking fender off.
The night I brought the bike home from the dealer.... ( cuz it was 10pm by the time I got home with it )
I ordered the FE kit for it on the interwebz.
It took 3 days for it to arrive, so I had 3 days with the whale-tail on the back.
BUT... the next day, I took a DREMEL tool to it, and tried to "minimalize" it a bit.
So I guess you could say, I rode around with the stock rear fender for 2-days.
I HAD to ride it. I needed to put some "break-in" miles on it!
:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well my "little LED aftermarket units" are deadly bright. However, they are not el cheapo eBay ones. You have to pay for quality.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
The night I brought the bike home from the dealer.... ( cuz it was 10pm by the time I got home with it )
I ordered the FE kit for it on the interwebz.
It took 3 days for it to arrive, so I had 3 days with the whale-tail on the back.
BUT... the next day, I took a DREMEL tool to it, and tried to "minimalize" it a bit.
So I guess you could say, I rode around with the stock rear fender for 2-days.
I HAD to ride it. I needed to put some "break-in" miles on it!
:D
I did the same thing but planned ahead. I knew I was picking up my bike yesterday so I ordered my Vagabond FE from Amazon a few days back. It arrived to the house about an hour after I got the bike home. It was raining out so I couldn't go for a ride. By the time I got the bike out of the truck, UPS dropped off my package and I installed it last night.

I also kept the factory tails and license plate light. It's one main reason why I chose the Vagabond. They made it easy to use the existing lights and hardware.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I did the same thing but planned ahead. I knew I was picking up my bike yesterday so I ordered my Vagabond FE from Amazon a few days back.
When I went to get my R3, there was a possibility I was not coming home with it.
So I didn't want to order anything in-advance for it.

;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have Rizoma in the rear and Watson design flush mounts in the front. You can search for my posts and see pics and info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts