Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I’m getting to a loss on my bike .
I took it to the car was and as far as I know it was working fine , parked it and 2 hours later I go drive home and my brake lights turn signals and horn don’t work. The 15 amp signalling circuit fuse will blow immediately when I turn on the ignition.
It still runs and drives as normal so the only thing affected is this circuit.
I am an electrician so I pulled up a wiring diagram and redrew it with only that circuit to make it easier to look at , and one by one disconnected everything .
Horn switch , turn signals , license plate light , auxiliary light , brake lights switches . And it’s still blowing immediately. Doing a continuity test I can see that the 2 brown wires coming off the one side of that fuse are shorting to ground . I can’t see anything obviously pinched and I don’t see how something would all the sudden get pinched anyway .
So what I’m getting at , is the two things I am concerned about is on the diagram I can see one brown wire coming off of fuse goes to a connection with 2 other browns and that goes to the brake light switches , I can’t find any connectors with 3 browns into it.
And the other brown coming off of fuse goes to a connection with 2 blues , a brown/red/ and one other brown. I also can’t find any connectors with 2 browns 2 blues and a brown red . So I’m thinking my issue will be in one of those connections .
Instead of having to rip the whole wiring harness apart searching for those , does anybody have an idea of where they might be .
Sorry I know it’s an extensive write up but I have tried everything

·
Registered
107 Posts
You may want to look into testing the pinout on your right and left switch clusters. The contacts on the switches can short out, especially if you don't park in a garage. I have attached all the wiring diagrams for the ABS and non ABS bikes of all model years of the R3. You may want to use that as a reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to look into testing the pinout on your right and left switch clusters. The contacts on the switches can short out, especially if you don't park in a garage. I have attached all the wiring diagrams for the ABS and non ABS bikes of all model years of the R3. You may want to use that as a reference.
Ok I will try doing that , I did take the switches apart to blow them out incase water got in there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will try doing that , I did take the switches apart to blow them out incase water got in there
So I took the left handlebar switch cluster apart I didn’t do the right one because the only one there is engine kill switch which isn’t affected .
I don’t really see anything shorted out inside the switches , it would be nice if I could cut the wires off and isolate each to test with but they are soldered to the switches . One thing I noticed is the horn switch is reading continuity across the two terminals but it should only have continuity if the button is pressed , but with that issue wouldn’t the horn just be going off?
Idk this dam electrical issue is giving me. Headache

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you look at the diagram I posted, the wires from the signalling fuse do run up to the right switch cluster as it routes to your front brake light switch. As for testing the control pinout, how are you checking this? I was actually suggesting you unplug the switch clusters from the main harness and do a pinout test. The connectors can be found under the fuel tank towards the front of the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I disconnected the front brake light switch at the handlebar to rule that out .
and ok perfect that is the exact info I’m looking for because I can’t find the connector for that harness , and once it’s unplugged I Can read continuity for each individual wire . Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Even a blind squirrel gets lucky and finds a nut once in a while. LOL just messin with you, Good job on tracking that down for op

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for all the complements guys! I believe in sharing whatever knowledge I can.
Amazing how well a civil exchange of information works. (y)
MuhammadZ,.. And I thought you were just a pretty face, didn't know you were smart too. ;)
Can't survive these days just by looking good:p

Even a blind squirrel gets lucky and finds a nut once in a while. LOL just messin with you, Good job on tracking that down for op
I can only thank the sheer number of times I've taken the dang thing apart and reassembling it. Since I can't have many bikes to work on, I work on one bike and learn it inside out. To the best of my ability at least.
Wow just want to say thankyou , you gave me the exact info I was looking for , bunch of connectors under the tank were wet .
You may want to add some dielectric grease on the connector surface. Helps seal it better against the weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts